i own AmericanTelecasterMN that is of a natural color,
but i'm not happy with how unbalanced she sounds -
(i.e. unwounded strings sound great, while the rest sound somewhat dull).

so i'm planning to sand off my guitar's original finish and instead wax her.
the only things i want to know :
does the wax change the wood's color and how the guitar's sound would be affected ?

any ideas, gentlemen ?...
Last edited by stalin37 at Mar 19, 2008,
Wax shouldn't change the color, unless it has somekind of weird dye in it. As far as the tone, it could be your amp or your pups.
Quote by stalin37
i own AmericanTelecasterMN that is of a natural color,
but i'm not happy with how unbalanced she sounds -
(i.e. unwounded strings sound great, while the rest sound somewhat dull).

so i'm planning to sand off my guitar's original finish and instead wax her.
the only things i want to know :
does the wax change the wood's color and how the guitar's sound would be affected ?

any ideas, gentlemen ?...

Colour doesn't affect sound
Gear
------
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Behringer Ultra METAL UM300 Distortion Pedal
Livingstone 50W amp
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3
Quote by WafflerVCK
Colour doesn't affect sound

Yeah but removing the finish could. Doubt that it have a significant effect on the sound though. @TS-What are the Pups that you use?
Quote by imgooley
Yeah but removing the finish could. Doubt that it have a significant effect on the sound though. @TS-What are the Pups that you use?

I doubt the colour affects the sounds. But I agree with imgooley, It could be your Pickups or your amp or your wood.
Gear
------
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Behringer Ultra METAL UM300 Distortion Pedal
Livingstone 50W amp
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3
Quote by imgooley
... As far as the tone, it could be your amp or your pups.

thanks.
though i have already tried several valve stomp boxes through various receivers and also went through an installation of pups like SeymourDuncans, EMG's, DiMarzios; still the same problem...
Quote by WafflerVCK
... It could be your Pickups or your amp or your wood.

of all above, more likely - it is the wood...
American Tele bodys are made of 3 peices if im not mistaken (i often am) so you could have one piece of bad tone wood a bad joint if its not your amp, pups, bridge/saddle or nut.
Quote by plucky duck
American Tele bodys are made of 3 peices if im not mistaken...

no you're not , my Tele is a 3-piece body.

Quote by plucky duck
so you could have one piece of bad tone wood a bad joint...

yes, it seems like that...
Quote by WafflerVCK
I doubt the colour affects the sounds. But I agree with imgooley, It could be your Pickups or your amp or your wood.

Like I said, not the color, the removal of the finish could make a minute difference in tone, as the wood would be unsealed, even if a short while, changing it from when it was first finished. A wax finish actually might do something. @TS- is your tone on the wound strings muddy?
Quote by plucky duck
how long have you had it? is it possible to return it?

no way, since i have cut a hole in the pickguard so that a humbucker could be installed.
also, during the operation of changing the pups, a minor scratches have occured to the guitar's finish.
IDK about the finish after thinkin about it. I mean, look at SRV's #1. That thing had wood rubbed off of it.
Quote by imgooley
... is your tone on the wound strings muddy?

at least it's not as bright as that of unwounded ones...
Quote by stalin37
no way, since i have cut a hole in the pickguard so that a humbucker could be installed.
also, during the operation of changing the pups, a minor scratches have occured to the guitar's finish.

hence this whole stirping it and waxing it bussiness right?

if it truly is the wood no way the finnish would stablize the tone IMO. maybe you could have a back-plate installed? but i dont know for shure what would help you. thats a shame too, there arnt enough good Teles in the world.
Quote by plucky duck
... maybe you could have a back-plate installed?

back-plate...
what's that and how do i install it ?...

Quote by plucky duck
... there arnt enough good Teles in the world.

so true
Quote by stalin37
back-plate...
what's that and how do i install it ?...

a piece of steel on the back of your guitar. it would sharpen the whole tone of your guitar though and you like the sound of your treble strings already go see a lutier. sorry
Quote by plucky duck
... it would sharpen the whole tone of your guitar though and you like the sound of your treble strings already...

yes, and their sound may get worse when the steel plate embraces the good piece of wood along with the bad one...
Not a good idea to change the finish..I don't see how Waxing it would affect the sound at all. U'd be better off taking it into a shop and seeing what they suggest
This is like trying to push a car off a cliff to make it faster.
Seriously - I don't think your efforts will pay off as much as having a tech look at it. Maybe you just need better pups or there is a wiring issue internally, bad pot switch whatever. Have someone look at it. Please?
Quote by gregs1020
... Maybe you just need better pups or there is a wiring issue internally, bad pot switch whatever...

at this moment there's a DiMarzioPaf installed on my Tele, so what's better than that ?...
also, the first things i've got rid of were the pot switch and control knobs -
(i.e. i have soldered the pup wires directly to the input).
Quote by stalin37
at this moment there's a DiMarzioPaf installed on my Tele, so what's better than that ?...
also, the first things i've got rid of were the pot switch and control knobs -
(i.e. i have soldered the pup wires directly to the input).

IDK if that was a good idea, don't know if that could be your issue.