WTF?!

I was playing guitar last night - totally normal. I was standing with the guitar, preparing to play Fight by No Vacancy - when I heard strange sounds coming out. They were amplified somewhat when I put the headphones in.

It seemed to be some radio station - either it was too muffled and low volume to make out what they were saying, or it was in a language I never heard. And I usually recognize different languages when I hear them. It seemed to play that awful music you get in elevators. It came up every 20 minutes.

This really freaked me out - I'm not 100% sure it was a radio station. It's like my rubbish little starter pack amp can hear ghosts... and, trust me, there was no microphone and my MP3 player wasn't connected to the amp in any way.

I ignored it, albeit a bit freaked out, and continued playing since I had to go out.

But is my crappy amp picking up strange satanic radio stations? Is it listening to the dead?
Your guitar pickups can pick up sound waves, and also radio waves. I have a mate with a really old guitar that picks up radio.
Quote by cptcomet
Your guitar pickups can pick up sound waves, and also radio waves. I have a mate with a really old guitar that picks up radio.

*phew*
Happened a long time ago with my Fender Hot Rod Deville 212... Sold that amp a ways back and with the same guitars that has never happened on any other amp...dunno...
Did it ever dawn on any of you that an electric guitar is an antenna? Think about it. How long is the average radio telescoping antenna? About the same length as a guitar string? How many strings? All plugged into an amplifier. Hmmmm.....something's suspicious here methinks. Good thing there's no tuner circuitry inside the amp huh?
Ok, enough snide sarcasm. Get really good shielded patch cables for your axe. All you're doing is picking up stray radio waves that are in the frequency range of the amp. If it persists, just move the amp to another location. Try to stay at least 10 feet away from the amp too with the guitar.
I hear dead music. lol
I had that happen to me 20 years ago. I had gotten a really really cheap SG copy and I'd get radio on the thing from time to time, not too mention biiiig time feedback.
Thought my amp has suddenly developed a metronome, turned out it was an analogue watch I'd started wearing again sending it's ticking through the pickups. >.<