i have really got into Down lately (just as a note i have only really been listening to metal for a year or so now) and i want to know if there are any bands that are a similar sort of southern metal sound?
COC, Eyehategod, Crowbar, Pantera
yah i have heard pantera and eyehategod, pantera being awesome and eyehate good r good. ill check out corrosin of conformity and crowbar. i have heard about them but never got around to buying albums
yeah i know lamb of god, i only like redneck, now you've got something to die for, laid to rest, and a devil in god's country. everything else isnt great.
Quote by Magero
Well, check out A Life Once Lost.
Southern twang all the way.

+1
Really good grooves behind them
Quote by EyeHatePeople
i have really got into Down lately (just as a note i have only really been listening to metal for a year or so now) and i want to know if there are any bands that are a similar sort of southern metal sound?

Crowbar, Corrosion of Conformity(as already mentioned) Superjoint Ritual(they kinda suck) Black Label Society
yea crowbar and corrosion are class. a life once lost man good shttuff
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Dixie Witch
Alabama Thunderpussy
Orange Goblin
Axes
Schecter Omen 5 - Ibanez AEB10E - Epiphone G-310(refinishing) - Ibanez PF5ECE
Amps
Peavy Bandit 112 - Ampeg B2-RE/Ampeg SVT-410 HLF
If you like Orange Goblin it might be worth checking out things like early Grand Magus and Spiritual Beggars.

More sort of stoner rock *cringe* than southern metal, though.
Alone in a Godless universe, and out of Shake'n'Vac