Hey all,

Today I decided to move my strap button from the neck heel to the point of the horn, a la Iommi SG. I thought it'd be a good idea to share the method I used, so for anyone whos looking to move their strap button heres a quick guide:

Stuff you need:

Long necked screw driver
Self tapping screws, 3 of, incrimental sizing (small, bigger, size you want for the button)

Now.

Because the button's screw needs to enter straight to be a secure fit this doesn't allow much room to manipulate a tool as the neck is in the way. This means you can't use an electric tool to cut a pilot hole, nor drive the screw directly into the wood.

What I found was that by using a long necked screw driver and laying the guitar flat on a table you could get a reasonably straight line through the horn by keeping the screw driver's shaft up against the neck.

Using the smallest of your self tapping screws you can very carefully work it in, using one hand to keep the screw entering the wood straight.

Once the screw is in, remove it and repeat with progressively larger self tapping screws, I used three, with the third being the final one which was screwed in along with the button.

And so, success:

Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
nice, I want to do it myself to. but I'm afraid that I'll damage my guitar.

edit: that's an epiphone G-400 right?
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by NemX162
I think that's pretty cool. Does that take care of the neck dive?

Yeah, I might like to know that as well. Might do this to my Viper if I ever find the courage.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
from what I'm reading. you just srewed a small screw in the wood? without drilling a hole first

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by NemX162
I think that's pretty cool. Does that take care of the neck dive?

It doesn't take care of it 100% but its most definately an improvement. Instead of the neck diving so the headstock was at my feet if I let go the neck will slip so the guitar is horizontal. I'm sure with a decent leather strap it;d be even better.

Quote by Farether
from what I'm reading. you just srewed a small screw in the wood? without drilling a hole first

Yah its by no means a technical procedure But the method (self-tapping screws) might not occur to everyone, and there are so many people that don't know how to use their initiative I thought I'd post it up anyway..

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
well, I just did it. and I did it right ^^ I'll see if I can upload a picture
the wood was a lot softer than I expected

here's the pic:

Last edited by Farether at Mar 19, 2008,
Nice work, dude.

Of course, builders get by just fine, because they just drill before the neck goes in! :P Bar-stewards.

Anyway, I'm going to do this on my sg too. I prefer the button running parallel with the neck.

How about using a ratchet with a phillips-head attachment?

That might make life easier.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Nice work, dude.

Of course, builders get by just fine, because they just drill before the neck goes in! :P Bar-stewards.

Anyway, I'm going to do this on my sg too. I prefer the button running parallel with the neck.

Aye that'd work nicely too. I did infact think about that but I couldn't find the right attachment

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Nice work, dude.

well, i thoery it should work, but by the time you add all the attachments and adapters, it's about as long as a screwdriver anyway!
You could use a small, stubby screwdriver.