Im looking for a distortion pedal for my Vox AC30.. There's so much out there im not really sure what to buy. Not looking for insane metal distortion or anything.. just something that can handle stuff like Zappa (Hot Rats, Apostrophe etc), Sabbath, Led Zep, Floyd, Yes, Rush etc.. You get the idea.

Any suggestions?

Oh and btw, I already own a Boss DS2 Distortion and it sounds all thin and crappy
Nothing beats the muff
Get an Ibanez tubescreamer. It's an overdrive pedal, but I know a lot of people use them, and I mean like every big guitarist probably has a tubescreamer in their setup somewhere. So check those out.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Last edited by H_ngm_n at Mar 19, 2008,
Big Muff pi> ts imo

The muff is thicker and fuller
Well yea its thicker and fuller, but its also a distortion pedal and the tubescreamer is overdrive. An AC30 is really classic amp that isnt meant to handle huge distortion, its made for classic rock tones, and there a tubescreamer will easily deliver.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
I was thinking about getting the Muff, I just want some nice thick distortion with good sustain.
Then get the muff, but definately consider a Tubescreamer down the line somewhere
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
+1 on the OD point. I guess I am just bringing my love of the muff to everyone.

my dream rig= ac30 head + 2x12 ampeg cab + big muff btw
I think ill try out a few pedals in the shop, but it's unlikely ill get to try them on a Vox AC30. Im afraid the shop is full of Spider III's and MG halfstacks
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
I think ill try out a few pedals in the shop, but it's unlikely ill get to try them on a Vox AC30. Im afraid the shop is full of Spider III's and MG halfstacks

to shop owner

/facepalm
Quote by imgooley
to shop owner

/facepalm

I know...

When I got the Vox it was the only one in the shop and it looked like it had been collecting dust for quite awhile...
That blows. Did you get a decent deal on the AC30?
I payed like £560 for it, which was lucky cause I only had £560 to spend. Was worth it though, it's a great amp.
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
I payed like £560 for it, which was lucky cause I only had £560 to spend. Was worth it though, it's a great amp.

Is that like 950 usd? if so that is a helluva deal
Quote by steven seagull
Proco Rat

+1, the rat is a very versatile pedal. on low gain settings it functions like an overdrive, push the gain up and it'll give you a hard-clipped distorted sound.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
You could just bring your AC30 to the store with you to try out the pedals...I don't think they'd mind much.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite