hey all,

i have an ibanez gio that i got from my friend for 20 bucks, and its missing the whammy bar/tremolo arm or whatever u like to call it. when the arm is inserted, it detunes rapidly. I do not know how to fix this...do you suggest i bring it to a shop first? or try to look into it myself. (im not really worried about breakage) yea so let me kno!
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun
Does it have a functional locking nut, new machine heads or anchor it down with a couple extra springs and make it a fixed bridge.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
Quote by Crimsonashes
hey all,

i have an ibanez gio that i got from my friend for 20 bucks, and its missing the whammy bar/tremolo arm or whatever u like to call it. when the arm is inserted, it detunes rapidly. I do not know how to fix this...do you suggest i bring it to a shop first? or try to look into it myself. (im not really worried about breakage) yea so let me kno!

If it's missing the trem arm, what the hell are you putting in the fitting?

Also, the trem is a cheapie, and not likely to do anything different.
idk it has the bridge but where the whammy bar itself would be inserted...there is just a hole. i dnt even have the whammy bar...lol oh and as for what Lebrun said. um....i have no idea how to locate half of those items. lol help!
Quote by Muphin

staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun
Ibanez Gio's are great for firewood...
..but seriously, post a pic of this monster so we can figure out what you're talking about.
Quote by Crimsonashes
idk it has the bridge but where the whammy bar itself would be inserted...there is just a hole. i dnt even have the whammy bar...lol oh and as for what Lebrun said. um....i have no idea how to locate half of those items. lol help!
Locking nut = Where the nut would usually be on a guitar. There should be little clamps on it that hold the strings down.

Machine heads = The things you turn at the top of the guitar to make it be in tune

Springs = Located at the back of the guitar, should be behind a cover, usually a squarish one in the center. Open it up and check how many springs there are in there.
alright..um how do i insert a picture?
Quote by Muphin

Upload it to imageshack or photobucket, right click and hit "copy image address". Then put that inside the tags:
(Invalid img)

theres a shot of it!
Quote by Muphin

cuz they didnt work, so i removed them. why is that bad?
Quote by Muphin

Yes it is, very bad. No pickups = No sound. Pickups are the things that generate the sound. Without them a guitar is generaly firewood
^a solid body electric that is. A hollow body electric or an acoustic can function w/o pups.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
nah, I plan to install new pickups. I can solder(sp?) some wires...
Quote by Muphin

yes there we go! That's the point! Now help me with the whammy bar what can I do about it? it doesnt appear to have a connection, so how to I keep the bar from coming loose?
Quote by Muphin

Before we can help you, you have to tell us how it can detune with the trem arm inserted, when you're missing the trem arm...
Quote by BGSM
Before we can help you, you have to tell us how it can detune with the trem arm inserted, when you're missing the trem arm...

haha, exactly, its kinda hard to help without you telling us everything
Gear
ESP Ltd EC-256
Takamine G-40
Boss NS-2
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Classic OD
MXR 10-Band EQ
Boss TU-3
B 52 AT-100
B 52 AT 412A

Line 6 Relay G30
Your best off blocking the trem, I have an Ibanez GIO GRG120DX and it won't stay in tune for the best part of 5 seconds.

I blocked the trem off and now it's a reasonable quality guitar!
Quote by Crimsonashes
cuz they didnt work, so i removed them. why is that bad?

Yes they did.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
just douse the bridge and strings in A LOT of super glue. that should hold them in place. i did that with the 1958 fender stratocaster my dad gave me and now the bridge doesnt even move! its awesome!
i was thinkin about blocking it off, anyway i was told it detuned rapidly. i dont actually have a trem bar..
Quote by Muphin

Quote by Crimsonashes
i was thinkin about blocking it off, anyway i was told it detuned rapidly. i dont actually have a trem bar..

Yes but you said "when the trem arm is inserted". So you say you don't have it, but then say that when you insert it... Please explain.
Quote by budgetminded
just douse the bridge and strings in A LOT of super glue. that should hold them in place. i did that with the 1958 fender stratocaster my dad gave me and now the bridge doesnt even move! its awesome!

i really hope your kidding
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/