ok i read the sticky and i read the lesson, but i just cant seem to get all of the theory down, i learned the pentatonic scale and the positions. but thats bout all i can catch, i dont understand like the playing in different majors or watever, and the whole circle of fifths, and all that junk, any ideas how i oculd really catch this stuff please reply, thankx
buy a copy of "shread guitar" by Paul Hanson.
the book has a pretty easy to understand and a practical guide to theory. That might help
Set up:-
Kustom Sound 40W Guitar Amp
Marshall MG15 CD
Zoom 707 II (surprisingly good..)
VOX Tonelab ST
Jackson DK2M (Seymour duncan TB4 and the SD jazz)
haha i love how almost every thread either starts with 'ok' or 'so' and how the first reply is always a patronising question.
Dancing In Your Dust
Get a teacher, fo sho. They'll know where to start and how fast to progress, and that's the most important part. I'd been interested in learning jazz guitar for ages, until one day my teacher showed me the II V I and everything just broke loose and I learned more in one week than I had in years.

I'm currently learning application of modes aswell, same thing there, a few minutes with the right explanation was all it took to understand the whole thing that had seemed so insanely difficult to grasp before.

Seriously, get a teacher, it'll save you so much hassle and will keep you motivated, not to mention you'll progress a whole lot faster.
i would but i definately dont have enough money to pay for one, and i work plus have school and football soo its really hard
Quote by Aditya
buy a copy of "shread guitar" by Paul Hanson.
the book has a pretty easy to understand and a practical guide to theory. That might help

"Shred Guitar". Yeah, this book has a very decent theory section without too much
complication. Plus, it's guitar-centric.

"PlaneTalk" also has a very good explanation of basics (also guitar based).

Pretty much all the music you likely care about is based off of the major scale. The
major scale is the core of all basic theory and beyond. Start with that and just
take it one thing at a time.
it might help if you specify what exactly it is you don't understand. its like asking a mechanic "well i know the basic stuff like changing the windshield wipers but i just don't get how im supposed to fix the transmission"

in other words your "i don't understand playing in majors/circle of fifths and "all that junk" is f#cking vague at best.
Quote by SA215OL
ok i read the sticky and i read the lesson, but i just cant seem to get all of the theory down, i learned the pentatonic scale and the positions. but thats bout all i can catch, i dont understand like the playing in different majors or watever, and the whole circle of fifths, and all that junk, any ideas how i oculd really catch this stuff please reply, thankx
You can't learn all the basics of theory in one sitting. Just not possible.

A teacher is a good idea but not always possible. So you learned how pentatonic scales are created. Now you've learned how that is applied to the fretboard. It's a start. Take it one step at a time...it will take a while so be patient. And like z4twenny said, as you learn, ask specific questions and you will get answers.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by SA215OL

there is alot to learning theory. You have to build step by step from the fundamentals. You can get bits and pieces on the internet, that in many cases wont make sense to you if you dont have a grasp on the basics. Its kind of like if you wanted to learn Algebra without having any skills with basic math..... its just not going to make sense.

start with the basics, and learn 1 step at a time.... this takes guidance. Online, you will mostly get scattered ideas along with alot opinions and arguments. The tips you get may or may not be appropriate for you.

Your best bet, if you truly want to understand theory is to take lessons and /or take a class (if you have those options). It's very helpful to have someone guide you through each step.
^ i think it's more or less

* major / minor scale construction
* interval recognition
* basic triad chord construction
* simple key recognition (ie if i show you the chord progression Bm, Bm, Em,F#m you should be able to say "thats a i-iv-v in the key of B minor" nothing excessive just the basic stuff)

i would say those four are the most basic initially.
Quote by z4twenny
^ i think it's more or less

* major / minor scale construction
* interval recognition
* basic triad chord construction
* simple key recognition (ie if i show you the chord progression Bm, Bm, Em,F#m you should be able to say "thats a i-iv-v in the key of B minor" nothing excessive just the basic stuff)

i would say those four are the most basic initially.

I would agree with those. but heres how i see the order.....

I would start here before anything else:

- reading skills, and knowledge of basic music symbols.... the staff, clefs, time signatures, note values, ect...........

- intervals
- scale construction
- triad construction
- harmonized Major and minor scales