I'm having some trouble with my guitar. the input jack is broken and I guess I'm gonna have to fix it. One of the wires came away, It's hard to explain and I'll get up pics soon, but I tried soldering it a number of times and still I get no sound. It is not my amp or my cables, I am sure about that. Any way to fix this until I get pics?
pics are going to help.
1996 Strat Plus (modded)
Peavey Classic 50
ZVex Fuzz Factory
Vox Clyde McCoy wah
Maxon AD-999 delay
Quote by mcrfobtai
I'm having some trouble with my guitar. the output jack is broken and I guess I'm gonna have to fix it. One of the wires came away, It's hard to explain and I'll get up pics soon, but I tried soldering it a number of times and still I get no sound. It is not my amp or my cables, I am sure about that. Any way to fix this until I get pics?

I have fixed the flaw in your post

its not a flipping input jack, its output
This happens to a lot of lower end guitars, including mine. Just from normal use and plugging cables in and out, the output jack on your guitar will become loose. I don't know if this is the case or not, but most people will end up trying to tighten it from the outside, which is a big no no. This will end up twisting the wires around until they eventually snap.

Most likely you'll just need to open the thing up and solder the wires together. I called my local guitar shop and the wanted $25 to do this. So I just went to Radioshack and bought a soldering iron for like $8 dollars, it's really easy to do, and I'll probably use that iron later.
Last edited by Gigatiran at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by vivalasoad883

it's not a flipping input jack, it's output

fixed the flaw in your post

If you want it to be possessive, it's just I-T-S, but if it's suppose to be a contraction, it's I-T-apostrophe-S!

GAWL!!

Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
I fixed the flaw in your post

If you want it to be possessive, it's just I-T-S, but if it's suppose to be a contraction, it's I-T-apostrophe-S!

GAWL!!

PWNED^
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Last edited by phip at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by Bazilisck311
I fixed the flaw in your post

GAWL!!

You had no subject in your sentence making it a phrase!

You forgot the I which I added.

BURN
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Quote by phip
You had no subject in your sentence making it a phrase!

You forgot the I which I added.

BURN

There was a subject in the sentence: "flaw".
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
There was a subject in the sentence: "flaw".

Uh, "flaw" isn't the subject in that sentence. You're all wrong
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Gigatiran
This happens to a lot of lower end guitars, including mine. Just from normal use and plugging cables in and out, the output jack on your guitar will become loose. I don't know if this is the case or not, but most people will end up trying to tighten it from the outside, which is a big no no. This will end up twisting the wires around until they eventually snap.

Most likely you'll just need to open the thing up and solder the wires together. I called my local guitar shop and the wanted $25 to do this. So I just went to Radioshack and bought a soldering iron for like $8 dollars, it's really easy to do, and I'll probably use that iron later.

that is exactly what happened. BUT, the wire did not snap. I'm trying to find my camera so I can show you what happened.
http://melodymusiconline.com/images/outputJack.jpgThe wire was soldered to the two, "tabs" (For lack of a better word) and it broke away from one. I'm not sure if the wire is frayed too badly- this might be the case. I tried soldering it back on but there is still no sound. Just found my camera btw.
Quote by vivalasoad883

its not a flipping input jack, its output

Hold on, I'm calling the irony police.
Due to a confusion with account setup, the account "Big Sugar" has been banned. That account was/is me. TO CLARIFY: Sinnessjukdomen = Big Sugar
wow, way to be helpful guys.

you may have soldered the wires on the wrong lugs, hang on for picture.

black wire on center most lug.
hopefully the wire is still attached on the guitar pot side as well.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
By now the wire is so destroyed, I might just have to buy a new jack or wire. I'm going to Guitar Center tomorrow. On the way I'm going to stop at a local guitar shop and check it out, see if they can help. If not, new parts it is!
Quote by mcrfobtai
By now the wire is so destroyed, I might just have to buy a new jack or wire. I'm going to Guitar Center tomorrow. On the way I'm going to stop at a local guitar shop and check it out, see if they can help. If not, new parts it is!

If the wires just came off you don't need new parts. And what do you mean the wire is 'destroyed'? Find/buy a wire stripper? You have a soldering iron but no wire stripper?