Okay so my friend's dad has a PC that is about 3 years old, give or take some months.

First, heres the problem. The computer shuts-down/starts up by itself, and I'm not exaggerating about that.

The thing is, we think it's a virus, but her Dad has no internet to receive it on. He recently installed a driver into it a little while back (no specification what kind), and it's not really used for anything besides Microsoft word documents. Her dad also says that the mouse cursor would move on its own wen he isn't controlling it. He also recently wiped his HD due to the thought he might have a virus,

She hasn't been to her dads house in a while, and shes just going by what he told her over the phone.

any help Pit? I think it might be a virus that piggybacked on a flashdrive, but he hasn't used a flashdrive since his HD was wiped.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Clearly your friends father has a ghost
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
the restarting could just be a power surge.

and the mouse could be hanging and then catching up after he's stopped.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Yeah man, I'd suggest going over there whenever you can and seeing for yourself exactly what's going on. Boot up in safe mode and see what happens then. If it stays on in safe mode, run a virus scan (if he doesn't have any anti-virus software, download AVG for free and put it on a flash drive). That's really all I can think of.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
inb4getamac
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by polaroidvision
inb4getamac

Anyone who tells him to get a mac purely for word processing needs to have their brain examined, or should otherwise go into the scamming business.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
yea, something in your start up file was deleted. the only way you are going to get it to run normal again is to rebot the whole thing and put in the back up disks and start all over.

it happened to me before
turning off randomly is prolly a power supply issue... alot of name brand pcs come with ****e power supplies that die after a year or 2... especially if he never blows the dust out.

mouse moving on its own is most likely user error, or possibly it hanging up/catching up like said above or just crappy mouse hardware....

but yea I'd go check it out in person, sounds like he isn't really computer savvy
Quote by misfitsramones
yea, something in your start up file was deleted. the only way you are going to get it to run normal again is to rebot the whole thing and put in the back up disks and start all over.

it happened to me before

How you have managed to deduce that from the limited information available is beyond me. You're either stupidly good with computers, or you are talking out of your rear end. I'm pretty sure it's the latter...

To all those suggesting PSU error;

TS stated the system was starting up and shutting down at random. A faulty PSU would not a)have the PC boot randomly, and B) would not "Shut Down" the PC. It would switch off immediately.