What is it? Because I just read in an old thread that it was 16Ohms. I've put a speaker in there that's rated at 8Ohms. I'm worried to say the least. It works fine, however. Also, the Ext.Cab out is rated at 8Ohms if that helps.

EDIT: The EXT.Cab actually says 16Ohms as well. Dammit.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Mar 19, 2008,
The old speaker will say the ohm rating on the back. I read up, and I've heard that both 8 Ohm speakers and 16 Ohm speakers will work (according to Peavey support). Its supposed to be a 16 ohm speaker, but some people have 8 ohm speakers.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
bartdevil_metal,

When you installed the speaker was there any soldering that needed to be done? or was it a push-pull speaker in the VK.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by -Collapse-
If you use a different ohmage, it will still work, but you'll get half the power.

would this possibly be a good thing? so you could turn it up louder?
Quote by guitarbite.fire
would this possibly be a good thing? so you could turn it up louder?

I'm not sure how it would interact with tube drive, I'm no engineer, but The overall volume would not reach the same.

For example, my Crate Powerblock's 4 ohm mono goes into an 8 ohm mono cab (the didn't have the ratings on the internet of the cab when I bought it, so I didn't know. ).
So instead of getting my 150 watts, I really only get about 75.
It would make it sound worse. With the speaker not receiving enough power, when you crank it all it will do is make the speaker sound worse, and maybe even blow it.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I've heard you get worse sound, but mine haven't shown that. It just doesn't go up as far.

When I need 150, I just put a dud input jack into the one side of the cab in 8 ohm stereo mode and put the 8 ohm mono into one side of the stereo. Each side is rated 160 watts each, so two of the speakers can handle it just fine.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by mike.h
bartdevil_metal,

When you installed the speaker was there any soldering that needed to be done? or was it a push-pull speaker in the VK.

no soldering, but good luck unscrewing the reverb tank, it put up one helluva fight when I did it. Also, you may need a third hand to remove the power tubes.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite

For example, my Crate Powerblock's 4 ohm mono goes into an 8 ohm mono cab (the didn't have the ratings on the internet of the cab when I bought it, so I didn't know. ).
So instead of getting my 150 watts, I really only get about 75.

Not true, tube amp don't act like solid states, for example a 50 watt tube amp will make 50 watts on 16 or 4 ohm speaker. Now that doesn't mean that you can put any speaker on a tube amp, the output transformers are rated for a certain impedance, and really thats what you should stick with, some amps have switches that are for different impedaces if that is the case just flip the switch to what ever your speaker is. TS most likly your VK will be fine running that load, since it has the option of an external cab that would run 8 ohm, some output transformers are not as picky as others.
Quote by Sid McCall
no soldering, but good luck unscrewing the reverb tank, it put up one helluva fight when I did it. Also, you may need a third hand to remove the power tubes.

The reverb tank gets in the way of replacing the speaker? =(
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

i just took out the reverb tank to put casters on and it really wasnt that hard for me to get the tank off.
Quote by mike.h
The reverb tank gets in the way of replacing the speaker? =(

Ever so barely. You could probably make the swap with it still there(but I'm not sure), but it made everything much easier.

Mine was hard to remove because the screws were in at weird angles, and they were stripped. I ended up tearing the whole thing out with my bare hands (not that I mind, I use a holy grail through the fx loop anyway).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I've just read a thread on the Peavey Forum that says that if you plug a dummy jack into the EXT Cab socket then it switches it to 8Ohms because it thinks that you are running two speakers in parallel. Will this work?