I'm looking to get my first electric guitar. I've been playing acoustic for approx. 9 months now. I love the les paul sound and would love to have my own gibson, but $$$ is the issue. Anyone have any experience with the epiphone les paul?? Right now I'm looking to shell out about 450 and she happens to fall right in my price range as long as I go with the standard...

I wanna hear the good/the bad/ and the ugly...

Thanks in advance everyone!
epi les pauls are good if you go with standard or above. i have the epi custom and its an excellent guitar and its only 499 so you might be able to talk a store down to 450 for one of those
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
Well I have an epi les paul custom plus and that seems to be a great guitar. Epiphone is owned by Gibson the the quality is awsome.
I like what I'm hearing so far.

Can I bother you guys to ask what kinda amp you're using with it too?? Looking at a cheap marshall for 115 right now.
Ive had my epi studio goth lp for almost a year now and its my favorite guitar ever!!!! the only down side i have found is with the pickups which is easily fixable i was doing the hair metal thing for so long i play with ernie ball 8's and they worked well anything bigger was too bassy on the low E but now im more playing rockabilly/psychobilly i am thinking fo switching those alnico V's out with some p-90's for a bit more twang still playin the 8's tho. and althought i love the tune o matic bridge and stop tail piece i am considering switching over to a bigsby trem. but all in all u couldnt ask for a better guitar i get flamed all the time because i am pretty sure i wouldn't give up this epi for anything less than a fully custom gibson custom shop lp that way i know it will be just as good as what i have now i have played so many gibsons and epis side by sise and the more i do the more i like the epi and you cant beat teh price to quality ratio. they tell me gibsons are so much nicer but when you sit down and play them side by side i can barelytell the difference in playability. the biggest issue i admit is the pickup difference gibsons do have better pickups and i have found good pickups to be cheaper than the price difference of the gibson name
epi goth les paul
ibanez rg (all black ,black hardware, fixed bridge)
epiphone triggerman 100 dsph
epiphone triggerman 4x12 cab
tube mp preamp
coffin case blood drive overdrive
danelectro cool cat chorus
Epiphone makes decent guitars, but you can get better for less $$$.

What is your total budget for a guitar and an amp?

Quote by Monster C
I like what I'm hearing so far.

Can I bother you guys to ask what kinda amp you're using with it too?? Looking at a cheap marshall for 115 right now.

Don't buy a cheap Marshall. It's most likely an MG, which are really crappy amps.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Thanks epi player. definitely set me in the right direction in a lotta ways.

Facing us all: Right now I'm looking to stay under 600 total. Any advice on an amp in the 150 price range. When it comes to electric guitars I'm semi-clueless. But when it comes to amps I'm completely clueless

Thanks a lot guys. You're all real helpful.
The Standard is great. You won't be disappointed, but try the one you're buying, they can have pretty bad quality sometimes. But they're mostly good. However, they don't sound exactly like a Gibson, the Epis don't have that great electronics either. I don't want to tell you it's a bad choice or something, only that you should know these things before buying.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by epiplayer13
Ive had my epi studio goth lp for almost a year now and its my favorite guitar ever!!!! the only down side i have found is with the pickups which is easily fixable i was doing the hair metal thing for so long i play with ernie ball 8's and they worked well anything bigger was too bassy on the low E but now im more playing rockabilly/psychobilly i am thinking fo switching those alnico V's out with some p-90's for a bit more twang still playin the 8's tho. and althought i love the tune o matic bridge and stop tail piece i am considering switching over to a bigsby trem. but all in all u couldnt ask for a better guitar i get flamed all the time because i am pretty sure i wouldn't give up this epi for anything less than a fully custom gibson custom shop lp that way i know it will be just as good as what i have now i have played so many gibsons and epis side by sise and the more i do the more i like the epi and you cant beat teh price to quality ratio. they tell me gibsons are so much nicer but when you sit down and play them side by side i can barelytell the difference in playability. the biggest issue i admit is the pickup difference gibsons do have better pickups and i have found good pickups to be cheaper than the price difference of the gibson name

Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
An Epi LP is a good guitar but get with one of the higher end ones. I have several Epis and not one has failed me. My only advise is to try a lot of them and decide what one is better. I have found subtle diffences in exact same Epi guitars. I have an LP Epi LP standard I got for only $40.00 on Ebay with the HSC. It was in tuff shape but I fixed it up nice. I had a set of high end Epi pups that improved it 100%. I swapped the electronics with Ibanez pots I had from another project that improved it even more. Now it's one of my favs. It sounds dam good if you ask me and my friends who have tried it think it as well. If your looking for a good Epi look into the Prophecy line I have tried a few of them and they are top notch guitars IMHO but the LP is about $700.00 I think if you can manage to scrape together another $50.00 you can get a great LP for $500.00.
Never get the Standards. The Epiphone Les Paul Ultra is about $800, but I got mine for $700. If I were you dont get the Standard, get the Ultra. Check out my Les Paul Ultra in my profile.
Quote by fenderwiz
Never get the Standards. The Epiphone Les Paul Ultra is about $800, but I got mine for $700. If I were you dont get the Standard, get the Ultra. Check out my Les Paul Ultra in my profile.

Anything specific that makes the ultra that much better?? I need to be justified in spending an extra 250.
Quote by Monster C
Thanks epi player. definitely set me in the right direction in a lotta ways.

Facing us all: Right now I'm looking to stay under 600 total. Any advice on an amp in the 150 price range. When it comes to electric guitars I'm semi-clueless. But when it comes to amps I'm completely clueless

Thanks a lot guys. You're all real helpful.

If you're just starting out, either the Roland Microcube or the Vox DA5 are excellent choices. Since they are both portable, they still have a use once you upgrade to a different amp.

Do you have any idea of what type of music that you want to play?

Some spectacular guitars for the price are these Xaviere Guitars. They are sold directly from the warehouse so there is less overhead cost added. They also have better pickups than Epiphones.

If you are looking at spending more, these Michael Kelly Patriots are spectacular guitars for the money, and far better quality-wise and value-wise than Epiphone LPs.

Quote by fenderwiz

The Ultra is $450 here...

The Ultra II is $700.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
If you're just starting out, either the Roland Microcube or the Vox DA5 are excellent choices. Since they are both portable, they still have a use once you upgrade to a different amp.

Do you have any idea of what type of music that you want to play?

Some spectacular guitars for the price are these Xaviere Guitars. They are sold directly from the warehouse so there is less overhead cost added. They also have better pickups than Epiphones.

If you are looking at spending more, these Michael Kelly Patriots are spectacular guitars for the money, and far better quality-wise and value-wise than Epiphone LPs.

The Ultra is $450 here...

The Ultra II is $700.

Thanks, great links. You might have just swayed me towards the Vox DA5

I'm a big fan of the man in my avvy and Slash. Kinda a sucker for the les paul you could say.
Last edited by Monster C at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by Monster C
Thanks, great links. You might have just swayed me towards the Vox DA5

I'm a big fan of the man in my avvy and Slash. Kinda a sucker for the les paul you could say.

I understand, it's just that at some point you're going to wish you bought the better instrument
Quote by utsapp89
Well I'm going to get the guitar on Wednesday and still haven't decided. Just filled out my income tax though and am getting some cash back some I will be going for one of the higher end epis.

I was wondering if anyone could give some insight into the epi black beauty and the custom and the ultra. General info from any owners would be greatly appreciated.

Onto the specific questions...

I've heard some people have problems with the third pickup on the black beauty getting in the way when they are strumming and some say they love it. Just wondering how useful the third pickup is...

It seems all 3 (ultra, custom, BB) all have the same pickups. The only difference I can really find is in the types of wood. The body of the BB and ultra is mahogany while the ultra is set mahogany (w/e that means, sorry for the amateur-ness). And the necks vary between set mahogany and rosewood. IT seems these are the only differences between the guitars, aside from the finish, so I am wondering if it is worth shelling out the extra hundred for a custom (150 for a BB) ??

Thanks to anyone who wants to read through this and point me in the right direction. I really appreciate it, because I don't entirely trust those working in the store. They give out good info, but it seems it is sometimes misleading.

End Essay....
How about the gibson les paul. I saw one at guitar center for 800. I liked it WAY better than epi
If you're looking for a quality LP without the Gibson price tag then I would definitely go for an Epiphone. I've had my Epi LP standard for about a year now and it's never had any problems. Play it before you buy it though.

For an amp in that price range I would recommend saving up a bit more for a Vox AD30VT.
Epiphone Les Paul Standards are great guitars, they are almost the same as Gibson Les Pauls, but there is a few differences.

You get what you pay for, but the Epiphone Les Paul Standard will hold up for a long time. Make sure you head to your local music store and try out some Epiphone Les Pauls, and see if you find anything that you like.
thanks for the responses guys.

Anyone have experience with the ultra, custom, or black beauty??

Specifically these things about them...

Quote by Monster C
I've heard some people have problems with the third pickup on the black beauty getting in the way when they are strumming and some say they love it. Just wondering how useful the third pickup is...

It seems all 3 (ultra, custom, BB) all have the same pickups. The only difference I can really find is in the types of wood. The body of the BB and custom is mahogany while the ultra is set mahogany (w/e that means, sorry for the amateur-ness). And the necks vary between set mahogany and rosewood. IT seems these are the only differences between the guitars, aside from the finish, so I am wondering if it is worth shelling out the extra hundred for a custom (150 for a BB) ??
Last edited by Monster C at Mar 25, 2008,
ive owned a les paul ultra and did not like it only for one reason it wasnt heavy enough when i think les paul i think thick heavy wood that creates that sound so Id go with the standard and once you get into a bit more replace the pickups but make sure you try out the neck cause i have tried out multiple ones and a couple have a had a rough and uncomfortable fretboards since you like Jimmy Page too I see get the Cherry Sunburst and strap some ernie balls on it and for starting electric try the Roland Micro Cube it is a great beginning amp and can get loud..
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
Quote by BGrem261
ive owned a les paul ultra and did not like it only for one reason it wasnt heavy enough when i think les paul i think thick heavy wood that creates that sound so Id go with the standard and once you get into a bit more replace the pickups but make sure you try out the neck cause i have tried out multiple ones and a couple have a had a rough and uncomfortable fretboards since you like Jimmy Page too I see get the Cherry Sunburst and strap some ernie balls on it and for starting electric try the Roland Micro Cube it is a great beginning amp and can get loud..

Did the wood effect the sound too or was it just the feel?? I will be spending most of my day tomorrow trying out different ones at different stores, and will hopefully find my guitar by wednesday. Plus it's always fun to go in and mess around in music stores.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. You guys here at UG are all so helpful and friendly
Last edited by Monster C at Mar 25, 2008,
it wasnt either.... its just that for one the ultra is chambered so it makes it lighter and being a Page fan myself I didnt like the Honey Burst finish... although it is beautiful i just rather that heavy ass wood cause it feels more authentic, but I hear the sound is the same if not better since it could get a more acoustic sound to it in the Ultra but hey this is electric guitar and since you own an acoustic already so why bother shelling out the extra money... but to some dudes this just sounds not logical cause usually people want the lighter guitar, but hey im not your average dude either so..
And let go of regret
lol im sure we're all far from average. Thanks man. I just checked out some gibson pickups and it would be so much easier to simply buy the pickups separately and upgrade. Damn why can't I just have them all!
ah ha thats why we are suppose to go to college so we can make those dollar bills... trust me i spend way too much money on guitars......... and i still need a new amp...
And let go of regret
I want to thank everyone that helped me out in this thread. Ended up getting the custom. Alpine white with gold hardware. I love it so far!

Thanks to all you helpful fellows.
Quote by Iceman 420
Maybe you could get an Agile 3000/3100 and a Vox AD30VT?

+1 to the agile
there supposed to be great guitars for the money, i was gonna suggest getting one of them
Gear
ESP Ltd EC-256
Takamine G-40
Boss NS-2
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Classic OD
MXR 10-Band EQ
Boss TU-3
B 52 AT-100
B 52 AT 412A

Line 6 Relay G30
dude the Epi lp standard is a great guitar, i played acoustic for awhile then got my LP, at first it was kinda different but now i am so happy with my LP right now and it goes perfect with my vox ad30, so those are the things i would recommend. they sound great, and dont go for a marshall mg today i was jamming with my friend and his MG and my vox was a billion times better, if not the vox a roland cube would work as well
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA