When I turn down the volume knob on my guitar, I start hearing hum. There's little to no hum when the knob is all the way up, but down until mid-point, the hum increases gradually. I have no idea why this is happening, and it gets really annoying.

I've though of shield plating or new pots, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

EDIT: The guitar is an Ibanez RGR321EX, a decent beginner's guitar which I'm planning to heavily mod, anyway.
Last edited by Whiskky at Mar 19, 2008,
My Epiphone Explorer doesn't stop humming if I turn the volume knob all the way down, but if I turn the tone all the way down it stops humming. It's not a real problem, but I don't know why it doesn't stop humming.
I can take a guess and say the pickup wasn't wired properly and the volumn knob only adjusts the output of one coil and not both, causing the noise canceling effect of the humbuckers to degrade.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
There is a simple reason; the more output from your guitar you have, the more it will drown out the natural hum of the amplifier. Turn down that volume, and it's not as prevalent, and you'll hear more of the noise. Do you have a lot of pedals? My advice is to try a noise gate, but amps will always make noise when no matter what you do, especially when you have the treble, mids, and presence up as white noise hovers in the treble and mid frequency levels