Has anybody done this? I have a homemade pedalboard made out of stained oak that I really don't want to cover up with velcro. I can't think of any other way of making the pedals stick to the board other than to take the pedals apart and see if I have some space to fire a metal screw up into them from the back side of the board. That way my pretty oak won't be covered up with nasty velcro.
Well the issue is unless you have a part machined in them and threaded, you're just putting a screw into them, and not actually holding it in. Metal is not like wood where the screw makes the threads as you screw it in the first time. You'll need to do velcro unless you want to invent some amazingly complex system where you put the screw in from the top and it anchors on the board.

What you would probably have to do is make a hole in the metal of the back plate, and screw that to the board. Then, with the backplate secured, drill holes for each of the screws that hold the back plate to the pedal. Hold the pedal to the plate and put in the screws. Or something like that.
you can get a mountig kit on ebay, you'll have to drill into the wood of your board but it doesnt look too bad.

<edit> heres a link to them http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEDALBOARD-MOUNTING-KIT-FOR-9-BOSS-DUNLOP-ETC-PEDALS_W0QQitemZ200207416775QQihZ010QQcategoryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by Survivalism
Your parents go ass-to-mouth and then kiss you.

The truth can be a horrific thing some times
its possible. but you need a good drill press and threading tools. And you have to know how to use them. All my pedals had a bottom cover that screwed off and i just used those screw holes to attach them to my board.
Aside from above comments... If you do decide to do it... make sure you examine the pedal before you put a hole it in, you don't want to put a hole through the circuit board lol...

But you should just use some vecro on the bottom. Cause with your idea, you're putting permanent holes through your pedal, where as with velcro, it is somewhat temporary and you will won't be to tell its there once its on the board.
Quote by CJRocker
Well the issue is unless you have a part machined in them and threaded, you're just putting a screw into them, and not actually holding it in. Metal is not like wood where the screw makes the threads as you screw it in the first time.

I used to think that. However, there's this amazing device called "sheet metal screws". All you have to do is drill a hole in the sheet metal, then fire one of these things in (that's slightly larger of course) and it grips great. I used to be big into car audio and have done this a million times. I used to tap and thread sheet metal then use machine screws but it's a complete waste of time and is not as strong as the sheet metal screws.

They even have self tapping sheet metal screws. Those things are great, you don't even have to drill, you just put it on your drill then fire it into solid sheet metal, it makes its own hole.

Quote by corndogggy
I used to think that. However, there's this amazing device called "sheet metal screws". All you have to do is drill a hole in the sheet metal, then fire one of these things in (that's slightly larger of course) and it grips great. I used to be big into car audio and have done this a million times. I used to tap and thread sheet metal then use machine screws but it's a complete waste of time and is not as strong as the sheet metal screws.

They even have self tapping sheet metal screws. Those things are great, you don't even have to drill, you just put it on your drill then fire it into solid sheet metal, it makes its own hole.

Ah but they are for just that; sheet metal. Pedals are not made of sheet metal It also does nto solve the issue of it needing somewhere to thread through.
Quote by CJRocker
Pedals are not made of sheet metal

??? What are they made out of then? I only have 3 pieces, one isn't even a pedal. That one is an L.R. Baggs D.I. Box, which I can almost guarantee is metal. The other is a Boss pedal tuner, which is at least metal on the top and sides, I'm not sure about the bottom. Third is a Fishman Aura pedal, which, once again, it's metal on top, not sure about bottom.

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=92

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_paradi.shtml

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=122&ParentId=127
Quote by corndogggy
??? What are they made out of then? I only have 3 pieces, one isn't even a pedal. That one is an L.R. Baggs D.I. Box, which I can almost guarantee is metal. The other is a Boss pedal tuner, which is at least metal on the top and sides, I'm not sure about the bottom. Third is a Fishman Aura pedal, which, once again, it's metal on top and sides, not sure about bottom.

Sheet metal is like what they use on steel constructs and race cars. Very light, but it is very suspect to dents and damage. It's called sheet metal as it comes in well, sheets and is used for applications like I mentioned as it's easy to work with and light, as well as cheap. Pedals are mostly made of steel thats poured into a mold when it's molten to form the pedal's case and then hardens. VERY VERY tough stuff.

EDIT: Actually, it's probably (die)cast iron rather than steel.
Last edited by CJRocker at Mar 19, 2008,
I think you should just use velcro. But only enough of it to where the pedals will completely cover it anyway.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
also, i dont know if anyone brought this up yet, but a lot of guys use stop ties. maybe also called cable ties, found in different sizes and colors in home depot, and hardware stores.

http://www.buycableties.com/catalog/?cid=8

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
also, i dont know if anyone brought this up yet, but a lot of guys use stop ties. maybe also called cable ties, found in different sizes and colors in home depot, and hardware stores.

http://www.buycableties.com/catalog/?cid=8

So just drill two holes in the board then wrap a cable through them and over the pedal/DI?

Biggest thing I'm wondering is that if I use velcro, then want to rearrange it a little, I'm going to have this sticky crap all over my oak. I don't know if having a row of drilled out holes with cable ties would look any better though. If I knew I could get the sticky velcro glue off of the oak if I needed to upon rearranging, I guess that's what I need to try. I only have 3 pedals right now... I imagine sooner or later #4 will come by.
Last edited by corndogggy at Mar 19, 2008,
i would go with the things recomended by either angelrange or jenny (jj1565). probably leaning toward the screw things. i mean pedals already have screws in the corners, so just putting those through the metal ring will hold that to the pedal. then you screw the pedal down using the other side of the rings. looks like it would be very neat and clean looking. i have seen them shipping to places outside the UK, so dont worry if you you arent in the area that particular shop ships to.
I don't think those would work for all my stuff. I only have one Boss pedal. I know they won't work for my D.I. box because those screws on the back are close to the center. I am unsure about the Fishman pedal but I'm thinking they're closer to the center as well. I agree, the boss pedals would work great though.
well i mean, go with what's easy for you, but if you were going to drill holes for screws anyway, then yeah, that's where you would zip lock the ties.

or if you had planks or spaces, making up your board.

i personally use velcro onto a carpet type board cover, works for me but you know, try out a few things, see what works for you
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
take out the screws that hold the bottom panel in, and drill some screws through the bottom of the pedal board!!