hi all, new here

i'm looking to pick up a tube amp around $500 usd for my 62 strat and an effects pedal if needed

specifically, i want to emulate the sounds of JF's guitar on By the Way as closely as possible...

and if i can't emulate the sounds i want to atleast get some tones that sound amazing. right now i'm stuck with a line 6 spider III 75w and i hate it.

i was looking at this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-All-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481660

yet i've heard good things about vox. i've never tried a vox amp, how are they with strats? thanks for any help.
Iwould look at a classic 50 212 for that price range. That would be used.Sound really decent accepts pedals well. Plus when you get to the point of retubing you can make it a stellar amp.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
JF uses marshall, so have a look at them

i've also heard that the orange tiny terror sounds amazing with a strat (well, it sounds amazing with any guitar, but its supposed to be especially good with a strat)
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Is this for home use, or are you looking to gig?

Either way, I'm not hearing great things about the Windsor Studio and even at it's best it's probably not for you.

I'd think either a new Fender Blues Jr., or a used Fender Hot Rod might be best. The Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues would also work.

Vox amps are great - if you're talking about the AC30CC's. Otherwise, I'd stick with one of those above.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
hi all, new here

i'm looking to pick up a tube amp around $500 usd for my 62 strat and an effects pedal if needed

specifically, i want to emulate the sounds of JF's guitar on By the Way as closely as possible...

and if i can't emulate the sounds i want to atleast get some tones that sound amazing. right now i'm stuck with a line 6 spider III 75w and i hate it.

i was looking at this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-All-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481660

yet i've heard good things about vox. i've never tried a vox amp, how are they with strats? thanks for any help.

the winsdor is a great metal amp but the cleans are pretty much non exestant.

but a vox amp would go great with your strat sounds really good. Nice cleans crunchy overdrive.

also lookinto peavey Classic 30s and Traynor YCV50s if your looking ofr a british voiced amp
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
yes oranges r amazing w/strats u can get some pretty wicked tones with an orange head or amp
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
don't go for that windsor, it's going to disappoint when you try to play something remotely clean.

fender tube amps, for the win.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by lazlow325i
don't go for that windsor, it's going to disappoint when you try to play something remotely clean.

fender tube amps, for the win.

agreed if you want GREAT cleans get a fender.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
agreed if you want GREAT cleans get a fender.

precisely. if you want to have a versatile tone, get an amp with great cleans and a decent distortion pedal.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
frusciante uses a ds-2 boss distortion pedal and it has a pretty distinct sound so if you picked up one of those you probably wouldnt be upset, given you are looking to emulate frusciante
wow you guys are really helpful. thanks a bunch.

so i've pretty much written off peavey.

now i was at guitar center when i bought my guitar and i played the little fender super champ amp. i wasn't impressed at all, actually disappointed. now as for the frontman's, i used to love them with my old guitars. by the way, this is going to be for recording. no gigging or even jam sessions with drums. so loudness really isn't much a factor.

so if you could help me narrow this down to a specific amp out of these three that would be great!

Fender: (blue's jr?)
Marshall: (?)
Vox: (?)
Even a Fender Blues Jr. at 15W is plenty of power for jamming. You could go with something like the Fender Champion 600 which is 5W with a 6" speaker, but I'd probably suggest the Pro Jr. which is a very simple 15W amp with a 10" speaker. Cheaper than the Blues Jr., and preferred over it by quite a few people (myself included).

I don't think the Vox AC15 is worth it, and Marshall offers nothing. Don't even think about any of their cheap SS offerings, from Marshall or Fender. You were right to not be impressed by the Frontman, either.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If you're asking for an amp that goes great with a strat, I have to say '59RI Bassman (or any vintage one up to about '68).
Unfortunately, that's not in your budget.

Maybe an old Champ? (Which is not similar to the Super Champ XD at all). They're in your budget.

^Yes, the Pro Junior is very good.
Get a Ceriatone 18w Marshall-copy Plexi combo. I'm saving for one, they get you a Marshalls tone, much cheaper. Google ceriatone.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by mydogpoops
Get a Ceriatone 18w Marshall-copy Plexi combo. I'm saving for one, they get you a Marshalls tone, much cheaper. Google ceriatone.

I approve of this suggestion.
Quote by JohnFrusciante6

The PJ and the BJ don't sound the same. The PJ sounds better, IMO.
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
should is spend the extra money for more knobs? or do you guys recommend a certain effects pedal to use with the pro jr (tone and volume only)?

An eq pedal (Danelectro Fish & Chips) will do a better job than the tone controls on the BJ, a Holy Grail will be better reverb than the BJ has, and an OD pedal (Digitech Bad Monkey) would be beneficial for both amps.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
peavy valveking
Fender Telecaster Standard
Vox Valvetronix 30watt w/ VFS2 Footswitch
Line 6 Crunchtone
Ibanez Chorus/Flanger
hmm.. i just went to guitar center. they didn't have the pro jr but i played the blues jr and the vox ac15. wasn't impressed by either of them. the vox actually had some ok cleans, but the crunch was kinda hazy.

so i'm still trying to get the sounds of his guitar in Dani California. i love that sound... i know that if i buy anything it will be offline and not at GC though. thanks for the help though, appreciate it.
oh yeah just saw the post about the peavey valveking. i didn't get a chance to try that but i've played some peaveys before and liked them. would this be a safe buy to get offline without trying it first?
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
hmm.. i just went to guitar center. they didn't have the pro jr but i played the blues jr and the vox ac15. wasn't impressed by either of them. the vox actually had some ok cleans, but the crunch was kinda hazy.

Increase volume to 70%, repeat, then post your findings.

EDIT: Also, the valveking is a mediocre amp. its ok, but gets old fast. If you want a decent tube amp try a classic 30, seems like it would fit the bill here. Maybe a bit loud..
You could definitely achieve his tone from By The Way with a Fender Hot Rod. Or find a used Marshall JCM. He uses Marshall amps, but he doesn't really crank the distortion, so you could be able to achieve it with Fender amps, and a Tubescreamer or something.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
OK, lets set this straight: yes he uses marshall amps and no, he doesn't crank distortion but it's definitely present. Frusciante has been known to use a USA Big Muff Pi, and more noticeably a boss ds-2 distortion (the more important of the two to replicate his sound). i'm sure he gets overdrive out of his tubes though that you couldn't get out of your amp choices so i agree a overdrive like a od-1 or a tubescreamer would be beneficial. of course he uses wah and chorus but i dont really think thats completely necessary. i agree with everyone here that you shouldn't bother with SS marshall cause they are definitely nothing special at all, just trying to help.
Sorry for semi-jacking this thread. I also use a strat, and cant decide between something like a fender deluxe reverb or somthing aong those lines, or an orange tiny terror. What do you guys think?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by JohnFrusciante6

Fail.

Earlier today he was ranting about how good his spider was...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
did you miss the part about how i said i play a schecter through it for metal? lol yes i do hate it and i didn't rant about how good it was. i simply said it "serves its purpose." w/e

oh and thanks for clearing up that up about the big muff and the ds-2 (being more important). i really needed to know that. i might just take a chance and buy the pro jr offline.
Last edited by JohnFrusciante6 at Mar 26, 2008,
Didn't frosh play a white falcon and a fender amp in the By The Way era?
idk, i know he played it live. he might have done a little bit of recording with the white falcon and a gibson LP. but you can pretty much hear nothing but the strat throughout the entire album.

f*** it, i'm just gonna buy the pro jr offline right now lol.
Look into a Peavey classic 30, its probably a bit loud for you, but I like it much better than the blues jr. For bluesy type sounds the C30 doesn't have to be cranked all that loud to get decent tone, for hard rock, yes it needs to be turned up to sound right. I would try one of these out as others have mentioned. The OD is very nice, kinda a cross between a vintage marshall and a vox ac30, the clean are very very nice as well. I love mine, very versitile, plus if you ever wanted to jam or gig, you would be all set.
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
but you can pretty much hear nothing but the strat throughout the entire album.

Stadium Arcadium? He recorded most of it with a Jag and Tele. He only used the Strat on a few songs (Dani Californa is done entirely with his 57). He also used one of his SGs on So Much I, his Mustang on Turn It Again and his Les Paul on Readymade. He also used both of his Martins.

Sorry for the rant. My point is he doesn't use a strat throughout SA- or any other album for that matter.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.