Hey y'all
i've been playing bass for years and recently got myself a guitar, and i've been teaching myself a few songs from tabs and stuff, but i feel the need for a distortion pedal.
I quite like the look of Digitech, primarily the Distortion Factory, The Hot Head, and The Hot Rod
but i've never really used pedals before and i'm not sure if those are any good
i need something that'll give me a lot of different sounds because i like to listen to and play more or less everything.
my price range is £60-£100
the guitar is an expensive Jackson so no "save up for new pickups" responses please
i've got an old practice amp but the pedal is first on the agenda then i'll save up for a new amp
so yeah
which one of those would be best?
are Digitechs good or should i get a different one?
are there any pedals that can give a more universal sound than those Digitechs?

suggestions for other brands are welcome

thanks
Rockin' shit
Last edited by jimmyhotpants at Mar 19, 2008,
Amp?
the amp is just some old Kustom that my sister used when she was learning guitar but she gave up quite early on
Rockin' shit
first go with the amp.
the amp and the guitar should be your focal points when choosing equipment.
i.e.
you buy a guitar that suits you.
you buy an amp that suits your guitar.
you buy effects that suit your guitar + amp.

on topic. digitech isn't quite up to par with the likes of boss.
i don't know what kind of music you play but since you have a jackson i assume it's something hard rock/ metal-y. try a boss od2, boss metalzone before bying some digitech thing. or you could just ask the guy at your guitar store
I would say electroharmonix makes the best distortion pedals, however, if that kustom is a tube amp(don't know much about kustoms) you might want an od pedal like a bad monkey or a tubescreamer
it's not mainly metal, if anything i play mostly punk and grunge
i've got another guitar but it's a cheap no name fake LP
Rockin' shit
Personally I would look into a nice amp, A decent amp will have a pretty nice distortion already on tap. Pedals are not really the way for you to go at this point, if your just learning and playing at home I would look into a nice modeler. This way you can figure out what kind of distorion sounds you like as well as effects. The roland Cube series is good as well as a few others, just stay away from the line six spiders, but really if just learning any modeler will really help you figure out what you want in the future as well as get you started in the right direction.
If you don't like effects look into a small pratice tube amp if your real serious.
Quote by jimmyhotpants

the guitar is an expensive Jackson so no "save up for new pickups" responses please

Believe me, you won't get many of those anyway, but even if it was expensive, doesn't mean the pups aren't crap.

Anyway, new amp.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3

Believe me, you won't get many of those anyway, but even if it was expensive, doesn't mean the pups aren't crap.

Anyway, new amp.

+1

Decent distortion pedal - £60-£100
Roland Microcube - £64
Vox AD15 VT - £99

it's no contest really.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 19, 2008,
i dont think the hot rod is good for grunge or punk or metal. i tihnk it's on the softer side of distortion, but still has amazing tone. i like high gain to go with, i wouldnt call the hot rod HIGH gain.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
You might wanna consider going muliti effects (I dig the korgs). They take a bit of getting use to, but you don't need to have a thousand pedals all over the place. But unless you can find a cheap used one, look to spend a little bit more than what your budget is.