I friend of mine got a base from one of his friends.

The base body looks like one of the Van Halen's guitar. It's color is black, with white stripes. It has a mirror pick-guard also.

The headstock says "Schafer". It has no serial number or anyhting...

So I am wondering when was this base made, and if it's worth anything. =\

PICS:
http://home.comcast.net/~fernandu/DSC02525.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~fernandu/DSC02527.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~fernandu/DSC02529.JPG
Last edited by HeadacheBR at Mar 19, 2008,
Got a picture of it? It's going to be a nightmare to work anything out without one
Sorry, I meant bass... lol :P

My friend's friend is not called Schafer nor a luthier... He is pretty old though (like 40th), thats why I am trying to figure out the age of that instrument aprox.

Lemme get some pics, one sec! ;D
Not a bassist or anything but I'm assuming it'll be a home done thing. i'm pretty sure Van Halen's lawers sue at the drop of a hat (some Halen-esque JEMs were made and they got lawsuited, not by Ibanez either, by some smaller luthier!) so I reckon it's a home job.
Well.. I guess it's a pretty nice home job then, cuz it looks perfect! =O

The bass itself is really good to play also. I am not a bassist either, but it feels good on my hands
it looks like its a really good bass, got a nice humbucker pickup
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Well I'm pretty sure the paint job is home done, for the reasons above. The body looks very P bass, and the pup configuration and through body stringing tells me its a higher end one (American Deluxe?) But the deluxe has 22 frets, and the headstock is not a fender. I think its just a hodge podge of all different parts.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Well I'm pretty sure the paint job is home done, for the reasons above. The body looks very P bass, and the pup configuration and through body stringing tells me its a higher end one (American Deluxe?) But the deluxe has 22 frets, and the headstock is not a fender. I think its just a hodge podge of all different parts.

It's a Frankenbass Make sure it doesn't kill your wife on your wedding day.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
yes, it looks heavily customised, especially with that humbucker and the two switches where the input would be.
Quote by barb3rman
It's a Frankenbass Make sure it doesn't kill your wife on your wedding day.

Clever...

If you lose it one day, might as well go to the Arctic Circle looking for it!

And yeah dude tell your friend to hold on to that thing. Rock it, study it, the sort.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
LOL!!! You've got a modified EPIPHONE ACCU BASS!!!

I own one of those beasts in its original format (check my profile for a picture)I'd recognize that odd bridge and headstock anywhere. Looks like someone has done a real odd pickup reconfiguration tho'

And they aren't worth much. They were starter basses to begin with and that one's a bit of a hodgepodge right now. I've seen them as low as 100 USD on the used market. and no higher than 200 USD.
If I try to sell it for him, how much money would I be able to get?

And are humbuckers on basses supposed only to come with higher end models?

I'll see if my friend allow me to remove the neck to see if there is a year or some sort on the neck joint.

By the way, when I move the volume and tone controls around, I hear a static noise... Is it because it's dirty inside or something?

Thanks! ;D
Quote by anarkee
LOL!!! You've got a modified EPIPHONE ACCU BASS!!!

I own one of those beasts in its original format (check my profile for a picture)I'd recognize that odd bridge and headstock anywhere. Looks like someone has done a real odd pickup reconfiguration tho'

And they aren't worth much. They were starter basses to begin with and that one's a bit of a hodgepodge right now. I've seen them as low as 100 USD on the used market. and no higher than 200 USD.

It might look like one, but I don't think its one...

The headstock says Schafer, and the neck joint plate has no model number or anything at all. Nor behind the headstock..

The headstock shape is totally different then a epiphone accu bass too.. -_-

So idk.. =\
The static is because the wiring on those are pure ****e. It was originally a P bass clone and new wiring for one of those is easy to mend. Does it have a slight to annoying hum? That was the other problem with those basses. New electronics will sort that out nicely.

They were made between the mid 80s to the mid to late 90s. Mine's a 1992 and is all maple, which makes it modification dream. With SD pups it has a really bright sound. Like I said in the edit in the last post, they aren't worth much but they are solid and indestructible. Mine's taken a few dumps over the years and after 15 years is still an old reliable work horse.

[EDIT]
And you won't find serial numbers on these basses if the neck is worn well. They were on a sticker on the back of the neck, which if its been repainted is long gone.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I still stand by my original assessment. No one else but Epi seemed to use those really weird gold and silver bridges.
Quote by anarkee
Does it have a slight to annoying hum? That was the other problem with those basses. New electronics will sort that out nicely.

It doesn't have any hum though... Hopefully it's just some dust that got under the knobs
I'd say that's awesome, but it has an Apple sticker on it.

Is the bass simple and intuitive? Does it work like you do?

But that's a great bass to do that paint job on, especially with that headstock. However, last time I checked, Eddie had three colour schemes - black and white on red, yellow on black, and black on white. If those stripes were yellow it'd be killer!

EDIT: Am I the only one who inferred that the bass was obviously refinished (hence the Shafer decal) and that the neck could have been replaced/headstock carved?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by WhyLater
Clever...

If you lose it one day, might as well go to the Arctic Circle looking for it!

And yeah dude tell your friend to hold on to that thing. Rock it, study it, the sort.

Too bad you'll only end up dying on a ship though.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Quote by thefitz
I'd say that's awesome, but it has an Apple sticker on it.

EDIT: Am I the only one who inferred that the bass was obviously refinished (hence the Shafer decal) and that the neck could have been replaced/headstock carved?

Fitz, sad to sad that is the headstock shape of an Epi, Very late 80s angular, though the tuners have been replaced. The neck is a double of mine and my bass is a string through as well. I do think the Shafer decal is an afterthought after the paint job, lol.
Quote by anarkee
Fitz, sad to sad that is the headstock shape of an Epi, Very late 80s angular, though the tuners have been replaced. The neck is a double of mine and my bass is a string through as well. I do think the Shafer decal is an afterthought after the paint job, lol.

Before seeing your post, I thought the headstock looked very much like a Charvel or Jackson shape, which I'm guessing is where Epiphone stole the shape from :P
Quote by anarkee

Ah, I see. I thought the Epi bass headstock was more of the Kramer bananna instead of the Jackson/Charvel razor.

Headstock reminded me of my old Jackson/Charvel Model 3B.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..

Here's an image buried on Gibson's website for better comparison, my headstock is a bit more pointy, like the one the TS posted. For me, what is the dead giveaway is the really ugly bridge that went on the string thru models. If I can find a better picture of mine, I'll post it up later.
i own one that needs a bit of work. the bass was made by an outside builder FOR "colton piano and organ super store" also known as "Schafer and Sons"they closed after about 50 years in Colton California. the person i bought it from said it was one of three bass guitars and there were six guitars made also. built in 1984. this is what i was told. i grew up during the "shafer and sons" strong years and they ran commercials mostly for pianos but always showed a wall of guitars on the running ads.
Please don't bump these long dead threads.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass