Can someone please explain to me what the point is of having multiple delays in one's rig? Do they put one before distortion and one after to get different sounds?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I believe they do. Another explanation could be the other delay settings. You can't just go tweak your delay settings in the middle of a song when you play live.
------------------
I think the point is multiple delay settings. Either two different settings you use at different parts of a song, or (I think Brian May does this) two delays with different settings, but used at the same time (so you have one repeat 50 ms and one repeat 100 ms for example - you get two repeats at full volume when usually pedals have knobs for feedback and level).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
some people (like myself) like to have multiple delays to get different sounds. an analog delay will sound different from a digital delay. so i could have an analog delay for a warm delay with a short repeat or slapback. then a digital delay for a crystal clean precise delay with a longer delay time.
But I've seen people with a DD-20 and a DD-6. Why wouldn't you just use the programmability of the DD-20?

EDIT: ^I was considering that as well.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
But I've seen people with a DD-20 and a DD-6. Why wouldn't you just use the programmability of the DD-20?

EDIT: ^I was considering that as well.

with 2 delays you can leave one on all the time (i would use analog delay set to a short delay for this) that will give you some warmth and depth. then the second one will give you your more obvious delay effect. my room mate goes for this idea sometimes. leaves on one delay for depth then uses his DD-20 to get his ping-pong, tap tempoed, and other types of delays.
i have two delays in my rig. one is an old boss dsd-3, the other is an akai headrush. i use the boss for quicker delays that aren't necessarily synced to the music, and the akai for longer delays that require tap tempo, and for times when i want trailing delays (which the dsd-3 does not do). additionally, i sometimes use them together. by doing so with lots of repeats and playing incredibly lightly you can build up a massive wall of attackless sound. i use it on one of our songs thats just piano and guitar to create this big atmospheric thing that has an underlying melody. its great fun, especially in big rooms.

i mean, for me, delay and dirt are the only effects i'm really into: my rig has two delays, three dirtboxes and an eq, and i'm on the lookout for a verbzilla. i have some modulation effects, but they don't really interest me. but i do like to create interesting sounds. delays let me do this, and having two only increases the potential.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Mar 19, 2008,
Sometimes you just want 2 different delays. I leave one on all the time to fill the sound out.Unless you have a delay with tap tempo its hard to change them while playing live.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by Some Guy on the Joe Satch Forum
I use this setup. I nabbed it from joe. I have a MIJ dd-2 and dd-3. The DD2 is setup for a short delay and the dd3 for a slightly longer. Delay adds ambience and smoothes out the tone a little while keeping it articulate. Some people like to add reverb to their sound but it clutters and makes the player sound sloppy. To my ears it makes it muddy sounding using reverb... so adding the second delay will simulate the ambience like reverb without killing the sound.

I use the DD-2 in the distorted channels of my amp, using the dd-2 and dd-3 causes loss of articulation, however, using the dd-2 and dd-3 in the clean channel can make a heavenly sound.

Hope this helps!

This was on the Joe Satch forum. He uses multiple delays because of this.