Hi folks

I've been playing acoustic for nearly 4 months now, truly inspired by Edgar Cruz/Tommy Emmanuel styles, love solo arrangements, but I also love me rock n' roll and solos, and am interested in buying electric guitar + amp. I know it is personal preference, we must feel comfortable above all with whichever one we choose. I am looking for any advice on specifics to be aware of?

My budget for guitar + amp is about $1000. Please know that I am very new to electric side of things, and only understand really that you plug it into the amp and off you go, lol

TIA for any help
get an epiphone les paul standard, and a line 6 spider amp
just give me a fender and let me rip
Mabye try getting an AMAZING amp and a good guitar.

Em... Fender Hot Rod Deluxe ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Amp?sku=480510 ) You'll be surprised how many people have used those.

Schecter Omen 6 ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Omen-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=518181 )

Just a choice. Choose a better amp than guitar. Most people don't and regret it.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
On the lighter side of practice amps, try the Vox Valvetronix series out, if for no other reason than at bedroom levels they can do just about any sound you want.
If you want something a little more straightforward, the Epi ValveJunior and its cousin the Blackheart Little Giant are good, straightforward, single-channel amps.
Most of the people here are going to recommend small 5-15w tube amps.
Amps are a little more taste-oriented than anything, so get out and try a few.

As far as guitars go, you can't go wrong with an Epiphone Les Paul as long as it is Standard level or above. If you want something more versatile, a Mexican Fender would suit you nicely in this price range. They come in Hum-Sing-Sing and Triple Single varieties to suit if you want a heavier bridge tone or three screamin' singles. Again, best to go out and play a few to find what sort of feel you're looking for.

Fenders tend to lean more towards light rock and blues, while Gibsons/Epiphones lean towards heavy rock and even metal. But even that is in the hands of the player.

Since you sound like an acoustic guy, I suggest starting with an Epiphone when you begin your search for the perfect electric, as the neck profile will more likely feel familiar to you than the popsicle stick bolted to the Stratocaster.

Concern us in your decision only in quality matters, not in matters of taste.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by rizo299
Do not get a line 6 spider.

lolol i like the line 6

and hes just starting out, its got lots of effects and stuff to screw around with
just give me a fender and let me rip
Quote by sk8board3r
lolol i like the line 6

and hes just starting out, its got lots of effects and stuff to screw around with

Once yo go tube you never go back, honestly.

In terms of practice amps, the Line 6 is not the best you can get for the dollars. Generally in the 15-30w range, the Vox amps sound better (nothing to do with the hybrid bs they tout, but still). You do not want an SS amp for guitar playing beyond the bedroom/practice level, unless it is a very specific sound you are going for and a very high quality (i.e., not modelling) amplifier. Randalls, for example, make fantastic SS amps. But if you are going to recommend a modelling amp, please stay away from the low-end Line6s. The Flextones are alright, and the Vettas are good, but the Spiders are just junk.

I say if you want a modeller, get the Vox or the Roland Cube series amps. If you want a tube amp in that price range, the Epi VJ and BH LG are right there.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
you're gonna need a guitar, an amp, cables, and maybe (some) effect(s). I will give some advice about everything, I hope it's useful

Guitar:
-You have to look at what style you (would like to) play. Do you want a versitile guitar or a guitar that is made for a specific style?
-What feels right in your hands? It is different for anyone. Some like thin necks, others prefer thick necks. This can depend on the size of your hands, but doesn't have to.
-Versitality. Try the different pick-ups. Play the same tune, with each of the pickups, so you can hear the difference. Don't just play one tune, try all the pickups for: Solo's, Open chords, Barre chords, Power chords, fingerpicking, picking with a pick. You should also turn the knobs a bit. This sounds like a lot of work. Maybe it is but it is really important. And it can be fun .
-I can really reccommend buying a second-hand guitar. You might asociate second-hand gear with mice, dust, duck-tape and glue, but most 2nd hand stuff is pretty good, but you need to take a look at a few things. First: if it sucks and plays like !@#$%, maybe it isn't set-up okay. Set it up, tune it, and try again. Second: how much is it used. A good way to tell this, is to look at the fret wire. If it has become flattened, it is used, but that should be okay. It is just an indication method.

Amp
If you buy an amp, there are loads of models you can choose from. The first choice you have to make is wether you buy a tube amplifier, or a solid-state amplifier. UG contains loads of articles and forums that describe the difference between them, so read that . The second choice will probably be: how much power do you want. Of course, the more power, the higer the costs (if everything else is the same). But NOT everything is the same. Many modern amp types contain lots of effects, modelling amps (that simulates other types of amplifiers), etc. If I were you, I would NOT buy an amp with all these effects, it's better to use effects, later I will tell you why, believe me, modelling amps are pretty much a waste of money. Also on this part I would recommend second-hand stuff. Buying a 2nd hand guitar is pretty simple, but an amp is a bit more complicated, because there are a lot more electronics. Make sure the amp works fine.

Effects
If you start, you shouldn't buy every effect you see. Just start with the most basic one of all: Overdrive, OR distortion, OR both. It is used in almost EVERY rock song. You will soon find out how stompboxes work, just by turning the knobs and using your ears. I am not going to explain what every effect does, because there are already a lot of articles about that, and I am already typing for a long time and I hate typing. Sorry

Assecoires
Here is a list of stuff you (might need). Equipment with a * is nesscary.

Gigbag*
Guitar stand*
Tuner* (not nessecary if you can tune by listening, but I don't know how much experience you have)
Cable(s)*
Strap*
Picks*
Strings*
Slide
Book about guitar, chords and stuff like that

I know there is a lot more to tell about guitars, about the action, nut width, scale, type of pickups, bla bla bla, but I REALLY need to go now . If you want more help about a specific thing, just put a comment on my profile
Wow thanks to all of you who have taken the time to respond, it's very much appreciated!! Yes, the full $1000 I certainly don't need to spend hehe I wanted to state that it's my budget so I don't get too high price recommendations

Just to be clear, I can't picture myself playing bluesy/light rock with the electric, perhaps some but primarily I wish to enter the learning phase of rock solos/fast, fun playing. I kind of feel at this point that I am getting very solid at acoustic and can have that style, and also now can have the sweet solos too

Also, my intention with the amp is to certainly be a "bedroom amp" for most of the time but I would like it if possible to really kick butt say, if I was jamming in the garage in summer, so maybe a couple neighbours can hear But don't need it "crazy" loud I suppose...

So let's say for example, I get a Fender Stratocaster, which seems to be very solid guitar and has a good track record, with a Roland Cube 3x amp (just going on WtrPlyr's recommendations above). It has distortion + overdrive built-in. Now for effects, I am seeing on the MF website many different options, it seems they are all operated by a pedal? So how does it work-- I hit the pedal with certain settings and as I play the effects adjust the output from the amp? The effects are plugged into the amp?

I have just been reading the guitar portal on Wikipedia for about half an hour and some of it makes sense, some of it doesnt yet hehe. I am going back to the store by Friday and I just want to be prepared with what to look/listen for so I can make use of the time there and test proper equipment.

Thanks again guys really kick butt community here

P.S. Solid body vs semi-hollow is kind of rock sound vs more acousticy sound??
Last edited by michaelscofield at Mar 20, 2008,
Quote by rizo299
Do not get a line 6 spider.

+1. You will think it sounds awesome at first, but later you will wish you had something better.
Quote by michaelscofield
Wow thanks to all of you who have taken the time to respond, it's very much appreciated!! Yes, the full $1000 I certainly don't need to spend hehe I wanted to state that it's my budget so I don't get too high price recommendations

Just to be clear, I can't picture myself playing bluesy/light rock with the electric, perhaps some but primarily I wish to enter the learning phase of rock solos/fast, fun playing. I kind of feel at this point that I am getting very solid at acoustic and can have that style, and also now can have the sweet solos too

Also, my intention with the amp is to certainly be a "bedroom amp" for most of the time but I would like it if possible to really kick butt say, if I was jamming in the garage in summer, so maybe a couple neighbours can hear But don't need it "crazy" loud I suppose...

So let's say for example, I get a Fender Stratocaster, which seems to be very solid guitar and has a good track record, with a Roland Cube 3x amp (just going on WtrPlyr's recommendations above). It has distortion + overdrive built-in. Now for effects, I am seeing on the MF website many different options, it seems they are all operated by a pedal? So how does it work-- I hit the pedal with certain settings and as I play the effects adjust the output from the amp? The effects are plugged into the amp?

I have just been reading the guitar portal on Wikipedia for about half an hour and some of it makes sense, some of it doesnt yet hehe. I am going back to the store by Friday and I just want to be prepared with what to look/listen for so I can make use of the time there and test proper equipment.

Thanks again guys really kick butt community here

P.S. Solid body vs semi-hollow is kind of rock sound vs more acousticy sound??

Just be thankful you didn't post it in the pit or you'd just get "Pics or it didn't happen" and people flaming you.

Yeah, Semi-Hollowbody's are more like an acoustic kinda' guitar, but can be twisted into a slightly heavier tone, but just enjoy yourself.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
Hey guys, I have been to a few stores in the last couple weeks and tried many guitars and amps. I have kind of narrowed it down to an Ibanez S320; looove this one, sooo comfy, light, really clean look that I totally dig, and the gentleman at the store explained the ZR tremolo and showed me how it worked, really amazing!

As for the amp, since this guitar is about $500 at the store, I can probably move into a $400 amp. I was thinking of these:

Fender Super Champ $299
Fender Vibrato Champ $249

Can someone recommend a few in the $300-$400 price range that also have a digital tuner in them? Is that feasible for that price?

Thanks again for any help dudes
Hmmm, well that guitar is quite decent, and versatile. For the amp...hmmm...I'm thinking maybe a low wattage tube amp? Anywhere from 5-15w tube could be good. I'm not really certain what one, but I think Blackheart Amplifiers have low output amps that would be good for bedroom practice, but still sound good.

Here, let's see...http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=Blackheart&st=

Browse through those maybe?

EDIT: Crap, I missed the digital tuner part...I don't think those Blackhearts have them.
Do not let a digital tuner be the selling point of an amp.
Buy a great amp without one, and just buy a separate chromatic tuner like a Korg or something.
Seriously, don't buy an amp because it has a tuner in it.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
Do not let a digital tuner be the selling point of an amp.
Buy a great amp without one, and just buy a separate chromatic tuner like a Korg or something.
Seriously, don't buy an amp because it has a tuner in it.

+1
Good guitar, good choice. Glad you're getting into it, welcome to the club =)

Well your price range for amps right now is kind of an oddball... 400 dollars is kind of a bad number for an amplifier. The reason being that, with four hundred dollars, you can get the best of the worst... a "nice" high-wattage spider amp, a "nice'' roland cube 60, i.e. anything that would be used for the sole purpose of playing in your bedroom but still doesn't have the balls for playing over live drums. Or the worst of the best... i.e. a low wattage tube amp that doesnt have fantastic cleans, I.e. a peavy or vox hybrid amplifier.

Honestly, I would reccomend you putting in around another hundred dollars into your budget becuase $400 is an odd number for an amplifier. A little bit more and you could get one of the best amps around. But $400 doesn't really cut it, when it comes to tube amps.

Hope this helps alittle, welcome to UG.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Sorry, that was a typo, lol. My budget is ~$1000, so with the guitar at $500 my amp can be $500 Now what could I get?

And no, the digital tuner is not a selling point for me, no worries there. I can tune pretty well by ear now as it is, and yes I'd get a separate tuner for that purpose if I need.
^Probably not enough gain for his purposes. Maybe paired with a good distortion like a Jekyll&Hyde, but alone it's not really solo-tastic.

Hey, Michael, have you thought about getting a wah pedal?
Just checked the Fender Blues Junior on MF, looks good. I'm curious though, why does the Vibrato Champ for example seem to have a few more options like a chorus and effects knob (reverb/delay/vibrato/etc) while the Blues Junior is double the price but doesn't have that?

Danno, haven't thought about that. I am trying to get the guitar and amp settled first, I am really interested in all the effects and pedals but want to have the basics out of the way first

EDIT: How about these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-FW120-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481052

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481601

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-212DSP-100-Watt-2x12-Frontman-Combo-Amp-with-DSP-Effects?sku=483720

And what's the verdict on Line 6? Seems to be quite a mix reviewed product. They're in the $500 range too.
Last edited by michaelscofield at Apr 1, 2008,
Isnt that Vibrato Champ an SS, with some modelling? Probably sounds digital, and no good. Although, I have heard there are SS amps that are good...

Don't get Line 6 Spyder series...try a different Line 6 product, or just avoid them.
Yeah, the Vib. Champ is solid-state. Blues Junior is tube (read: audiophile-style).

The issue most people (myself included) have with Line6 is that their low-end range - the Spider series - have very digital tones. You know how, when you use a Casio keyboard to mimic another instrument, it sounds a bit "off"? Spider amps have that effect on me. They just don't sound believable.
Hey guys, I had some personal stuff that got in the way, I'm ready to get my electric now. I just dropped off my acoustic to the shop for a setup today (free!) and tried out some more. I am looking at a Godin Freeway (georgous and plays great), the SAS36FM, a PRS SE, a few different Strats and a Jackson. All are in the 500-700 price range. The most I can spend is about $700 on the guitar. I am still pretty much set on the Fender SS amp, it just seems right for the fact I will only be playing in my room and maybe garage once here or there.

I am definitely leaning towards a SRV/bluesy style up to Jimmy Page style in my playing, so please note that in recommending, much appreciated for the help guys.

I will be buying guitar+amp on Monday, going in first thing in the morning, real pumped but still baffled!!