The stock pups on my epi LP custom are terribly muddy and unclear and of general bad quality. Should i look to replace em or just get a new amp (i got a vox ad30vt)
If replacing the pups is the best way to go, which pups should i get? I play classic rock and more modern stuff, but i occasionally enter the realm of metal.
wow thank god i searched b4 posting im wondering the same thing but i play more punk/poppunk/metal
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
well I think either way would be good for you hell monkey, because if you had a tube amp it would sound muddy even with those pickups, and if you changed pickups it would probably sound better too, but not as good as a good tube amp...petey gunnz I think that it depends on what amp you have, but for punk or metal you dont really need such a good tone, but a new amp would really help...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
get the active live wires.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
EMGs? I don't want anything too high output, i don't really play that much metal, mostly classic rock (zeppelin, floyd, cream)
I would upgrade the amp first and then upgrade the pickups based on what amp you have.

I would stray away from EMGs...

GFS makes good pickups at a low price; and if you want to spend a little more, www.highorderpickups.com sells custom pickups for around the same price as your normal off the shelf Seymour Duncan.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
some sort of PAF pickup will do well. Try SKP Mules, SD Custom Customs and SD Alnico IIs.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I would upgrade the amp first and then upgrade the pickups based on what amp you have.

I would stray away from EMGs...

GFS makes good pickups at a low price; and if you want to spend a little more, www.highorderpickups.com sells custom pickups for around the same price as your normal off the shelf Seymour Duncan.

Yeah i've checked out the GFS which look awesome considering i have no money right now, but are they any good? some people love em, some say there terrible
Quote by hell_monkey
Yeah i've checked out the GFS which look awesome considering i have no money right now, but are they any good? some people love em, some say there terrible

I replaced the Seymour Duncan JB that was in my Schecter S-1 Blackjack with a GFS Vintage '59, and I couldn't be happier.

I also have 2 GFS Dream 90s ready to go into an Epiphone G400 whenever I get it back from my buddy.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Oh sick, i was looking at the vintage 59s and the dream 90s actually
What position do you have the 59s in?
Quote by hell_monkey
Oh sick, i was looking at the vintage 59s and the dream 90s actually
What position do you have the 59s in?

The Vintage '59 is in the bridge.

I didn't like the Seymour Duncan JB because it was far too trebly and thin for my tastes; the Vintage '59 sounds a lot more like a bridge humbucker "should" in my opinion.
Quote by utsapp89
they're not that bad, if you adjust the pole pieces and height and volume accordingly...and you have a good amp....then you can get a good tone.

but I'd look into some PAFs if I were you.
your amps fine, i have the 15 watt version and its great. Epi pickups are extremley muddy, they suck. IF you want good distortion get a Seymour Duncan JB or EMG 81 if you like heavy stuff.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by hell_monkey
Sweet, what kind do you recommend?

The GFS Vintage '59 is a PAF style pickup.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by restless_thrash
Get active EMG's. 60 for rythm, 81 for lead. They have really nice clean tone IMO.

NO!

Don't listen to him. EMG's are so overrated its not funny. They are only suited for metal and even then the tone is awful (not that tone really matters all that much in metal).

Seymour Duncan JB's - check them out!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
NO!

Don't listen to him. EMG's are so overrated its not funny. They are only suited for metal and even then the tone is awful (not that tone really matters all that much in metal).

Seymour Duncan JB's - check them out!

I think JB's are overrated, also .
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
The Vintage '59 is in the bridge.

I didn't like the Seymour Duncan JB because it was far too trebly and thin for my tastes; the Vintage '59 sounds a lot more like a bridge humbucker "should" in my opinion.

Well, i've decided to go for GFS pups, due to my miniscule budget.
I was looking at the Vintage 59 (neck) and a crunchy pat (bridge). Tell me, have you put your Dream 90s in your G-400 yet? how do they sound?