Basiclly I want to make my Ibanez a little more 'metal' by slapping an EMG-81 on it. Problem is though, its a H-S-H styled guitar with a 5 way selector. Now, the EMG-81 can't split like the stock humbuckers on it at the mo. Does this mean that I can't get the EMG-81 in the bridge of the guitar because the 2nd position wouldn't work? On the EMG website it mentioned something about not using an 81 and an 85 with a 5 way selector, but nothing about just using one. Any ideas? Don't wanna buy one to then find out I can't use it Or if 81's aren't worth the 70+ Pounds its gonna cost me to get it, then what is a good alternative at a similar price?

Cheers In Advance.
GEAR:

Ibanez JEM 555 Steve Vai Signature x2 (Black + White)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom II
Ovation CP247

Vox VT120+
Boss GT-10
Digitech Distortion Factory
to my knowledge EMGs use special wires and need preamps to work. the only way you will be able to put an EMG 81 on that axe is to convert the whole thing to EMGs.
Also, since the EMG is a much higher output than the other pups, when you change, you'll get a massive change in volume aswell.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
Bugger, Hope not, Cant afford that much... Anybody else got any ideas?
GEAR:

Ibanez JEM 555 Steve Vai Signature x2 (Black + White)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom II
Ovation CP247

Vox VT120+
Boss GT-10
Digitech Distortion Factory
Last edited by h3llang3l at Mar 19, 2008,
^ to that guy, it is possible to switch as tonnes of ppl do it, and the volume change can be over turned by merely lowering the pickups

but i still wouldnt recomend it, thats not a very high quality guitar (no offense) so it wouldnt worth upgrading it