So I've been to guitar stores a couple of times to get picks, strings and other random stuff but I've never tried any guitars out because I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Do I just pick something up and start playing or should I ask first? I'm looking at buying a new guitar so I obviously need to try some stuff out first.

Same with amps how do I go about testing one out?

I just don't want to look like a total n00b going in.
Last edited by Gigatiran at Mar 19, 2008,
You should always ask first when you want to try a guitar, you want to keep those guys as friends.
------------------
Should I just walk in and be like "I'm gonna try a couple guitars out, ok?"
Just go in and look for a guitar to try, then ask the guy if he's close, if not just start playing it unless it says "ask before using" on it or its over 700$. thats what i do, and i dont seem noobish. With amps, you;d probably have to ask, but when you ask, ask if you can try more than one if you want to, so you dont annoy the guy asking over and over.
enter store... ask for cable... ask if you can play whatever equipment... play it QUIETLY... if you like it... tell the guy you found most helpfull to make the purchase

edit: also... dont ask for every little thing... the employees are humans... and get annoyed quite faster than most people... and i dont blame them
Usually, I go in, look around for something that interests me, and say if it's over $1000 I usually ask if I can try it out, or if I look long enough, sometimes salesmen approach me and ask if I want to test run something. Just do whatever, but don't be a dick.
Go to shop ask shop assistant/keeper ask him if you can try out guitars then you try which your hero's play or you think you can start a future with etc... playt see what you like or hear what you like then buy!
I'm looking for a new guitar and amp, I'm upgrading from a B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock and a Roland Cube 15, so I need new both.
Quote by Gigatiran
I'm looking for a new guitar and amp, I'm upgrading from a B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock and a Roland Cube 15, so I need new both.

Even better; how much are you looking to spend? Because usually if you walk in and tell a salesman what you want to spend, he usually bends over backwards 'cause he knows you'll probably buy something.
Depends on where you're at, I was in the New York City Samash one day killing time with a friend, and we were just walking around looking at all the fancy guitars. Then one of the workers came over and just told us to start playing some of them. I took this opportunity to try out a couple of high-end fenders they had hanging on the wall (cmon, when else am I going to have the chance to play the eric clapton strat?). But yeah, depends on the attitude of the guys working the floor at the time. But I believe its acceptable to try out a few mid-range guitars without asking as long as you don't make the amp ridiculously loud. Have fun with it
6th member of "its not rape, its surprise sex" club
yeah ask the person in there and be nice cuz chances are if you're planning on spending alot of money then you'll probobly see them a couple of times .
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
If its Guitar Center they usually dont care if you just pick up a guitar and play. As long as it isnt super loud and annoying theyre fine with it.

If its a Mom and Pop store, i would probably ask them
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
I work in a guitar shop, so from my experience, don't do these things:

1) Pick up a guitar without asking and play it.
2) Pick up a guitar and start thrashing it, you don't own it yet, so don't treat it as your own.
3) Ask, don't demand.

Then anything else is just common sense.
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
I work in a guitar shop, so from my experience, don't do these things:

1) Pick up a guitar without asking and play it.
2) Pick up a guitar and start thrashing it, you don't own it yet, so don't treat it as your own.
3) Ask, don't demand.

Then anything else is just common sense.

Quoted for truth.

Ask to try out an guitar or and amp so you don't piss off the shop clerks.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Ok I went and tried out a couple of guitars, I found something funny. I was playing a couple of guitars in my price range about 500-600 dollars and got totally ignored. Picked up a 1,500 dollar JEM and immediately I got a "Can I help you with that Sir?"

I didn't plug in any of the guitars I tried. There was some crazy blues guy testing out some strats and playing RHCP songs note for note with perfect tone, then he started just wailing some crazy blues solos. Needless to say, I was a little intimidated.

But I did find out that I'll never be able to play with something with as thin of a neck as most Ibanez's.
I'm sorry, but I hate jackasses in Guitar Center who blast it, play Enter Sandman WRONG, and act like they're the talk of the town........

My one main rule, play quietly.......
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

You can really just walk in and play. My trick is to avoid anything I can't afford in case of breakage.
Due to a confusion with account setup, the account "Big Sugar" has been banned. That account was/is me. TO CLARIFY: Sinnessjukdomen = Big Sugar
It depends how much of a regular you are, atleast at my local store. I've seen them tell a person they can't play a guitar without asking, but earlier I just started playing it and the same sales guy and I got into a conversation about the neck. (I didn't ask). Its kinda a trust thing aswell. Big stores seem more likely to be stringent about crap like that then local ones.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
ask before trying and dont play anything in this list:

stairway to heaven
sweet child o' mine
smoke on the water
TNT

other then that it should be all good, unless you pick up a $1000+ guitar and start playing **** that makes peoples ears bleed
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.