A thread has to be made.

Any fans of this beast of a series by George R.R. Martin?

For those who don't know, it's an incredible modern higher fantasy series which limits all magic, good and evil themes and modesty. Filled with incest, treachery and more, it's one hell of a read. Four books out currently out of seven, Book 5 soon to be out. Google or wiki it.

For those who are aware, (group?), I've recently seen the US and UK covers (UK is better, so I'm posting that instead) and made me think how much I love this series.

If you're even remotely into fantasy, you won't find much better. It's definitely worth checking out. It has not disappointed me yet.

Pic of UK cover;

EDIT: I think George should of split 4 and 5 according to time, not location. Lack of Tyrion makes me cry. Hopefully, this will be far more impressive.
oh, the thread title sounded like some Power Metal song...

*leaves*
When all else fails, ask the pit.
Quote by I-Watch-Anime
oh, the thread title sounded like some Power Metal song...

*leaves*

Trust me;

No good and evil themes = pure win. The only traditional fantasy trends is that there are dragons. In the original drafts, there were none (I think it should of stayed that way. Good thing is, they don't over do it either).
Quote by Craigo
Trust me;

No good and evil themes = pure win. The only traditional fantasy trends is that there are dragons. In the original drafts, there were none (I think it should of stayed that way. Good thing is, they don't over do it either).

Are you scared of the fantastical or something?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
A Dance with Dragons is out now?!
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by SmarterChild
Why did you mention incest as if it was the best thing about the books?

You just answered your own question.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Did he just... do an accidental double post and yet someone posted in the middle? I'm so confused.

Never read the books.
Quote by Craigo
Much as I like that thread, I don't think fantasy should have a place in it.

Why on earth not?

I hate it when people draw snooty lines between "fantasy books" and "literature".
Quote by Dinkydaisy
A Dance with Dragons is out now?!

and A Dance With Dragons sounds like a power metal BAND.
When all else fails, ask the pit.
Quote by Glimsom
You just answered your own question.

Well it was certainly what got my interest.
Ooh, I like the cover.

As you know, I'm rereading ASOS right now, almost finished.

Did you say you were going to read AFfF/ADwD together? That'd be kinda weird, because ADwD kinda goes back in time, and tells the story from the other points of view.
Quote by SmarterChild
Well it was certainly what got my interest.

Now you're making me want to go discuss incest with Smarter Child on MSN...

On a sidenote: A Dance Of Dragons - Through The Ice And Fire
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by Craigo
Not yet, but the covers are.

Oh, k.

I've waited so damn long for this damn book. He'll be dead by the time it takes him to finish

-Matthew Arnold

You win for making this thread.

A Song of Ice and Fire = best fantasy book series ever.

EDIT: To Dinkydaisy, yeah, no kidding.
Quote by meh!
Are you scared of the fantastical or something?

No, I love Tolkien's work immensely (my favorite is the Silimarillion). However, it really gets over done sometimes, and it's nice to break from the trend.

In response of your other one, I don't see much depth in fantasy (no matter what good reads it can offer).

Don't get too put off, I immensely enjoy fantasy (I was half way through Children of Dune before I lost it) and I still have a lot of love for the Wheel of Time series for opening me up into the genre (and reading in general too) no matter how much the later books didn't keep up the standard (although I bloody enjoyed them).
I'm so excited to read Jon's/Bran's/Tyrion's chapters in the next book.

Also, I know Littlefinger is pretty much an evil genius, but I have a certain respect for him. He's always 2 steps ahead of everyone else.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Oh, k.

I've waited so damn long for this damn book. He'll be dead by the time it takes him to finish

The guy is 59? And is barely in good shape

This one plus FoC is the build up for the rest of the series mind, and he probably had so much trouble transferring.

He hopes June, I'm thinking autumn though.
Quote by Craigo
The guy is 59? And is barely in good shape

This one plus FoC is the build up for the rest of the series mind, and he probably had so much trouble transferring.

He hopes June, I'm thinking autumn though.

I think it said late '08 on wiki...
Quote by RedDeath9
Ooh, I like the cover.

As you know, I'm rereading ASOS right now, almost finished.

Did you say you were going to read AFfF/ADwD together? That'd be kinda weird, because ADwD kinda goes back in time, and tells the story from the other points of view.

I still do.

It'll be fine. Book ten out of 12 in The Wheel of Time was mostly switching between characters on how they were doing before and after the events of book 9, which keeps switches through time (and has just as much juxtaposition) so it's fine.
Quote by Craigo
No, I love Tolkien's work immensely (my favorite is the Silimarillion). However, it really gets over done sometimes, and it's nice to break from the trend.

In response of your other one, I don't see much depth in fantasy (no matter what good reads it can offer).

Don't get too put off, I immensely enjoy fantasy (I was half way through Children of Dune before I lost it) and I still have a lot of love for the Wheel of Time series for opening me up into the genre (and reading in general too) no matter how much the later books didn't keep up the standard (although I bloody enjoyed them).

Read some Michael Moorcock.

He is considered a, 'literary author'. Brilliant writer.

He wrote some essays criticising Tolkien that are quite interesting.
Quote by RedDeath9
I think it said late '08 on wiki...

He never keeps to the dates. ADWD was supposed to be out last summer.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by meh!
Read some Michael Moorcock.

He is considered a, 'literary author'. Brilliant writer.

He wrote some essays criticising Tolkien that are quite interesting.

Will look him up.

I will take back that statement though... The complexity of plot which goes into plenty of these novels can be immensely vast. However, in terms of themes and such...
Quote by Craigo
Will look him up.

I will take back that statement though... The complexity of plot which goes into plenty of these novels can be immensely vast. However, in terms of themes and such...

Again, read Moorcock. I won't defend the genre on a whole, it *is* filled with a lot of pulp books. However, good writing isn't bound by genre.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
He never keeps to the dates. ADWD was supposed to be out last summer.

True...

We should discuss some crazy theories on here.

PODRICK PAYNE = AEGON!

HOT PIE = THE PRINCE THAT WAS PROMISED!!111!!1!one!!!

EDIT: I find it interesting that Podrick's face is never described, and how he can fight so well (Blackwater)
Quote by meh!
Again, read Moorcock. I won't defend the genre on a whole, it *is* filled with a lot of pulp books. However, good writing isn't bound by genre.

In any form of contemporary entertainment, meritocracy will sell because it's the norm.

EDIT: If Tyrion wasn't a dwarf, he'd be the fictional Cox of fantasy.
These books, in my opinion, are freaking amazing. It kinda sucks that Eddard, my favorite character died in three chapters, but it still adds to the integrity of the storyline. I would definitely join a group if there was one.
Last edited by Lord-of-the-SG at Mar 19, 2008,
I'm reading AFfF right now. Can't wait for the Sam chapters, because there's lots of talk of prophecies and whatnot.

EDIT: AFfF. I meant AFfC.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Aug 9, 2008,