I just put some brand new strings on my guitar, while i was doing that, i accidentally broke my high E string. I thought i was SOL, but then i remembered that guitar world magizine a few months ago gave out a free Zack Wylde E string, so i threw it on. But now every time i play for a few minutes, or do a full step bend, it drops to around e flat. Is the string just too old? or is there something wrong with my guitar do you think?
probably the string, if it never did it before it's pretty much for sure the string
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I had this problem with my G string before. One thing you could try is tightening the nut, although the best bet is to restring it. If it's not strung very tightly, it'll go out of tune all the time. Hell, you can even use the same string. Just pull the string away from the peg as you wind so that it remains as tight as possible.
The string just needs to stretch a bit, keep playing and tuning and eventually it should stop doing that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The string just needs to stretch a bit, keep playing and tuning and eventually it should stop doing that.

Thats what i thought at first, but this has been going on for a few hours
Quote by Micsunderland3

It can take ages, if it hasn't stopped by tomorrow then start worrying.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Micsunderland3

It might take a couple of days depending on how much you stretched it and how much you play.
gently pull the string back and forth with your stronger hand(like doing a really big bend) in each direction a few times...be careful not to pull too hard
but if you do that a few times, it should be fine
same thing happened to my b string.
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
if it's the wrong gauge, or if you didnt leave 2-3 wraps, that could be the problem.

but if you strung it up correctly, stretch the string, lube the cut in the nut, by rubbing a pencil in it, and wait till tomorrow, like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Ok, i re-strung it and im going to stretch like crazy now.

Thanks alot guys, ill let you know how it turns out.
what i do is i take my winder and tune the string up a step or a step and half above and then tune down to the right pitch and then it stays there
try that, but be careful because it might snap if you go too high
Quote by dustnbones316
what i do is i take my winder and tune the string up a step or a step and half above and then tune down to the right pitch and then it stays there
try that, but be careful because it might snap if you go too high

Ok, ive got a new kind of problem now, its freaking me out.

I tuned it up to F, and when i did, i heard a click and it went to E. Then i did a bend, and i hear a big click, and it went all the way do to C!!! what should i make of that?
Quote by Micsunderland3
Ok, ive got a new kind of problem now, its freaking me out.

I tuned it up to F, and when i did, i heard a click and it went to E. Then i did a bend, and i hear a big click, and it went all the way do to C!!! what should i make of that?

It's getting stuck in the nut of your guitar; the best thing to do would be to take the string off your guitar and run a pencil through the slot to lubricate the nut a bit then re-string and see how it goes then.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
well first of all dont tune higher than e on that string. just stretch the string. push down with thumb, up with other fingers, at the middle of the fretboard.

hopefully its only getting caught in the cut of the nut, because "ping" noises that come from the tuner usually mean the tuner gears are slipping and needs to be replaced.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Is it wrapped around the tuner correctly? That happened to a new string i put on my acoustic that i cut too short, and it would slip out, drop a half a step from time to time.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)