practice helps.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Put the gain and treble really high on your amp and practice. It will talke a while before they start sounding good.
Hold the pick so that the tip of the pick is nearly level with the portion of your thumb closest to the strings. When downpicking through the string, make sure to touch your thumb to the string. Also, bend the string with your fretted hand while doing this.

Jack up the gain and treble, and practice!
"If you tell anybody about these trees.. I WILL CUT YOU!!" - Bob Ross

Gear
Ibanez RG470 | '87 Peavey Predator LMT
Peavey 5150!! | Vader 212!! | Crate GLX65
MXR Dime Dist | Crybaby | Boss TU-80 | ISP Decimator

My Band - Under the Blade
Quote by soontobeSlash
Could someone help me out! My p. harmonics are crap. any tips?

Hold the pick so your thumb slightly brushes against the string after the pick hits it and bend the string. Have a lot of gain.
Practice. Practice. Practice. With this technique thats the only way you'll start getting them. It took me a long while to get them, I just figured my own way to do it, when I need a pinch I kind of rotate the pick towards the bridge so my thumb gets the string, since I hold the pick between my thumb, index and middle fingers, took me a while to figure it out. That just came about by experimenting.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
I've been told something similar - to dip down a little lower with the pick in a "digging" motion so that the side of your thumb catches the string on the way up. I can't do them consistently at all yet, but it does seem to work.
Lots of practice! They're easier to do on the larger strings, so you might want to work your way up with those. I'm going to disagree with the people saying that bending the string will help you learn how to execute them... but it does help in their overall sound you get.

I actually came across how to make them happen on accident many many years ago, when I was practicing some blues licks.
Axes
Schecter Omen 5 - Ibanez AEB10E - Epiphone G-310(refinishing) - Ibanez PF5ECE
Amps
Peavy Bandit 112 - Ampeg B2-RE/Ampeg SVT-410 HLF
Thats kind of how I came across it too. I was just messing around, not even really paying much attention, then it did a perfect one, so I spent a few hours figuring out what I did, and finally found it.

And yea bending I don't think will help you much, since its all about how you pick it.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by Malarkatron
Thats kind of how I came across it too. I was just messing around, not even really paying much attention, then it did a perfect one, so I spent a few hours figuring out what I did, and finally found it.

And yea bending I don't think will help you much, since its all about how you pick it.

Well if you do one and don't bend the string it will be less pronounced...at least when I do them they are.
Quote by Malarkatron

They sustain better and are way easier to hit when you do a bit of vibrato with your fretting hand...

Also, try pinching the natural harmonic frets, as they are easier to hit (i.e. 4th, 5th, 7th frets)
"If you tell anybody about these trees.. I WILL CUT YOU!!" - Bob Ross

Gear
Ibanez RG470 | '87 Peavey Predator LMT
Peavey 5150!! | Vader 212!! | Crate GLX65
MXR Dime Dist | Crybaby | Boss TU-80 | ISP Decimator

My Band - Under the Blade
Quote by The Faded Line
Hold the pick so that the tip of the pick is nearly level with the portion of your thumb closest to the strings. When downpicking through the string, make sure to touch your thumb to the string. Also, bend the string with your fretted hand while doing this.

Jack up the gain and treble, and practice!

Yeah ..this guy is right...

one more thing.. Imagine you took a fork and broke off the two inside teeth.
now you only got the two outside..it looks like a football goalpost..
imagine holding that fork so the two prongs strike the string simultaneously.
One prong is our finger and the other is the pick. If you imagine it like
that you can visualize the gap between our finger and the pick and how
you should strike it. It actually looks like ur gonna pinch the string..

for the big KillSwitch Engaged squealies..
JAck up the gain BIGTIME..Add a lil reverb...
downtune the low E ..to a *C*

play an open C...then bend the C string at the 3rd fret with out
the string making contact with the fretboard or frets.
that will get you started..later on when u get it down...
it wont matter if u touch the board after the correct initial touch..
after u bend it..shake da $#!T out of it!!!!
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Mar 21, 2008,
I don't think anyone else has mentioned it yet, but it's very important that you try playing pinch harmonics on different places on the strings, i.e. one side of the pickup, over the pickup, the other side of the pickup etc. There are a lot of "dead points" where you pick, but there are some sweet spots called "nodes" that if you catch them right will improve the harmonics greatly.
Just try playing them at different points with your picking hand, all guitars and makes of guitars differ slightly, but they all have them.
Good luck TS.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
It takes a lot of practice. I'm still trying to get them right. There are some decent tutorials on youtube if you need video help.