Page 1 of 2
As the title says, this is a thread about Track and Field.

Just wanted to know who's doing it, and what events you're doing.

Also this is for track and field discussion obviously, maybe get tips here or effective workout routines and such.

This is my first year doing track, I'm about 268 lbs at the moment and not in the greatest shape for running. I'm doing the shot put and discus events. Practice is 3:30 to 5:30 on weekdays after school and 9-11 on Saturday. We just started yesterday and it feels great. Of course the after pain in the muscles isn't much appreciated but at least it's a good pain right?

Well our schedule is a half a mile warm-up run around the track, then when the whole team arrives we stretch. After stretching we then do 5 sprints back and forth on the straightaway. Then run around the track 3 times building up speed each time we go around.

After the team warm-up we go to our specific coach for whatever event we're doing. Since I do shot put and discus I go to Coach Cummings (I KNOW CUM HAHA VERY FUNNY NO NEED TO MAKE A COMMENT ABOUT IT K THANKS?) Anyways her full name...yes shes a girl is Tracey Cummings and no she's not some built up miss universe. Moving on if we're outdoors, she has us run around the track once, then we do 150 crunches and 100 push ups. After that we run suicides on the football field for a bit. Following that is lunges and some technique stuff.

If we're indoors, she has us do a circuit workout which is this

Prison Squat > Sprint > Lunges > Leg Lifts > Sprint > Jumping Squats > Sprint > Lunges > Leg Lifts+bringing your knees to your chest and holding it for 5 seconds.

Following that is more technique training.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
fenrir you legendary legend man

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai
Maybe there's a connection between intelligence and obesity? Hmmmmm...

Kefka of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
i run 200 and 400 sprints and relays. to train us we run 600s and basically we just run like slaves
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Dang...easy stuff man. We practice from usually 2:50ish to 4:30 or 5. I'm running sprints, not sure exactly which ones yet and I'm thinking about high jump. We usually do different stuff each day like today was just a breakdown day but we also worked on baton hand offs. For some reason, we stretch after we run and not before but what the heck. It sucks though, that we've only gone outside once because of crappy weather, but that one time was really nice. But yeah we do an assload of running everyday, save one break a week.
Quote by imthehitcher
aww i thought this was a thread about the computer game

Me too
Although I was absolutely shite at it.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
HA! all that work. I run distance, 4X8, 800, 1600, 3200. we don't do any of that. we run like 3-6 miles, sometimes more, then like 100 crunches and 30-50 push ups. we're pretty flexible.
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
mhm I don't mind the work since I know it's going to be great for me in the long run, but yeah, I'm considering 400 and 800 next year after I'm more "fit" for it ya know?

Anyone got any tips for keeping your legs from being in epic pain afterwards?
Quote by Ichikurosaki

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai

Kefka of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
I run sprints, do high jump, long jump, and triple jump...

I COULD do long distance if I practised...

But this is just high school, nothing special.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Yeah I'm running 800M 1500M and 3000M this year and so far our training program seems similar minus the push ups + sit ups. Maybe I'll suggest those.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
you just have to keep running. but if you tore or strained something you should stop for a bit to let it heal. stretch really well before every run
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
I did track last year (in 8th grade). I did the 800 and 400. My best times were 2:34 for the 800 (I would've broken 2:30, but I learned i was to do the 3200 relay later that meet, so I didn't push myself so that I could do well in that too), and 63 for the 400. I'm not doing it this year, because I don't really like running anymore.

I'm sorta glad. The mid-distance workout for track today was 12 800s in about 2:20 each time. Friends in track told me... sucks for them, lol.
Last edited by Msu_Man04 at Mar 19, 2008,
We do stretches for like an hour and a half, its gay as hell. I also messed up my knee doing them (it was messed up from years before).

Anyway, I do 100m sprint, high jump and, long jump. I bet I can beat you all at long jump
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
You'll slaughter me in long jump floppypick lol. And thanks ItzThatDude for the tip, although I was looking for something that uses less effort lol oh well though. Just. gotta keep running then. Yeah, there is about 60 people give or take on the high school track team this year so it's eventful, always able to jog with someone during the half a mile warm up run.

There is one thing I don't get though. It seems like the shot put and discus group is the "geek" cliche of the track team. A lot of my friends before it started kept saying doing shot put and discus is nothing because you barely run (which is NOT true) and only like the out of shape kids who are looking for something easy do it. Now don't flame me about this since it's just my take on it. Hell I'm kind of out of shape myself, I'm definitely not a runner thus why I'm doing shot put and discus this year.
Quote by Ichikurosaki

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai

Quote by fenrir182
As the title says, this is a thread about Track and Field.

Prison Squat
> Sprint > Lunges > Leg Lifts > Sprint > Jumping Squats > Sprint > Lunges > Leg Lifts+bringing your knees to your chest and holding it for 5 seconds.

sounds dirty
naw, it's when you take both hands and put them behind your head and squat. Just in case you didn't know
Quote by Ichikurosaki

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai

In 8th grade, I did longjump, 100, 200 and 400. I sucked.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
i do shotput as well. i used to do it as a way to stay in shape. Than between seasons i started going to the gym and got im much better shape. Im doing it again and im not getting as much of a workout as i was at the gym. I might quit.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
yeah i sucked too haha uhm freshman year (just turned 15)
i did:
100 meter in 11.80 (11.82) (11.84)
Long jump 5.40 meter (dont know feet)

and in gym earlier this year i ran a 5.9 55 meter (sophmore now)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
i do shotput as well. i used to do it as a way to stay in shape. Than between seasons i started going to the gym and got im much better shape. Im doing it again and im not getting as much of a workout as i was at the gym. I might quit.

yeah, I really need to start doing lifting in between seasons, along with using the cardio workout room which has many treadmills and stairmasters.
Quote by Ichikurosaki

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai

Oh I forgot to mention, when I was in the track team, our school went to a track meet and I got best grade 6 boy

.... 4 years later I havnt won anything But I shall mauihahha
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

i run the 400 meter dash, 4x4 relay. they make us train for 600s and 800s so it sucks, but the track meets are fun
Quote by floppypick
We do stretches for like an hour and a half, its gay as hell. I also messed up my knee doing them (it was messed up from years before).

Anyway, I do 100m sprint, high jump and, long jump. I bet I can beat you all at long jump

How far can you jump?
I sense a challenge happening! *breaks out anchorman style outfit"
Quote by Ichikurosaki

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai

Decathalon ftw!!

im in really good shape from the wrestling season but im slower this year (sophmore) because im heavier and because i lost a ton of weight during wrestling and got sick from doin that. i do track as a break from wreslting.

i ran the 400 in 57 seconds and i long jumped 17 feet the other day.
at pole vault im only doin about 9 feet because i weigh about 155 pounds which is a little much.
im running a 200 and 100 tomorrow and ive never done shot and discuss but im looking forward to it.

lets have an internet track meet!!

...or not...
hey you,
see me,
pictures,
crazy

hard work solves everything (Dan Gable)

shine on you crazy diamond
we miss you Syd
internet track meet? sounds good!

If I pole vaulted I'd just have to break the gravity going up, once I did that it'd be like a catapult and I'd flyyyy
Quote by Ichikurosaki

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Timothym
How far can you jump?

Im not sure, I havn't done a "proper" long jump for a while, I just know I can jump really far and high..
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by fenrir182
mhm I don't mind the work since I know it's going to be great for me in the long run, but yeah, I'm considering 400 and 800 next year after I'm more "fit" for it ya know?

Anyone got any tips for keeping your legs from being in epic pain afterwards?

take ice baths after your workouts. you stand in a plastic trash can full of water and ice for about 6-7 minutes (yea I know it sounds stupid). It actually really helps get rid of lactic acid and just general soreness and stuff.

I run 400 and 800 (middle distance FTW) so far this year my best times have been :56 and 2:17 as a freshman so I think I'm doing pretty good.

dang you guys must have started late, our season started about a month ago and we've already done 4 meets O_o
yea i used to do the stairmaster all the time and it really helped me get in shape. I dont know if track is doing the same tho
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
100, 200, and 400.

my best time on the 100 is like, 10.17 seconds (7th grade (last year))

the 200 and 400 are new additions this year, and we have yet to have a meet. so...
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
I run the 800, 4x8, 1600, and 3200.
4 miles every meet, not that enjoyable.
We run anywhere from 2-8 miles every practice, and we do alot of lifting and balance training.

Does anyone here have knee problems where they have to wear knee braces? My knees have dislocated in the past, and are complete sh*t. I wear my braces for all other sports, and I've been wondering if i should wear them for track, if it would hurt my strides?
Quote by cavalier14
100, 200, and 400.

my best time on the 100 is like, 10.17 seconds (7th grade (last year))

the 200 and 400 are new additions this year, and we have yet to have a meet. so...

I can't help but be suspicious of that time....

EDIT:
http://www.dyestat.com/index.php?pg=rankings_dyestat_elite_all&l_query=t&l_season_id=7&gender=b&l_event_id=1

http://www.powerof10.info/default.asp?page=782142342E3F703B7E2F7031&rrwhat=44605E6470649E4B5C2A882FC02AD86B40205C6442245C446814883CCA2A

both age groups for both are 17+
Last edited by crustyreed at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by floppypick
Im not sure, I havn't done a "proper" long jump for a while, I just know I can jump really far and high..

So can I... and I have numbers to back it up.
Quote by Corgan-tastic
I run the 800, 4x8, 1600, and 3200.
4 miles every meet, not that enjoyable.
We run anywhere from 2-8 miles every practice, and we do alot of lifting and balance training.

Tell me your still in middle school. Youre gonna blowout running loads like that.

As for me 800s mostly. I ran a 2:01 split a few weeks ago in a 4x800. we broke the school record which was pretty cool. My mile time is at 4:37 but i dont run that very often. For training we've been doing about 7 miles on recovery days and 600, 800, or 1000 intervals for workout days.

The key to not having too much pain is cooling down. 10-15 minutes of light jogging helps get the lactic acid out of your legs. icing is a good idea too.

just curious, any dyestatters on UG?

*jump*

QUOTE]

Damn!! New UG record in the long jump! this could be tough to beat.
Quote by saint22
Tell me your still in middle school. Youre gonna blowout running loads like that.

No, I'm a sophomore, and meets are pretty spaced out. We usually run 2 miles, 4, 6, 8, 4, 2 leading up to meets.
Live
Love
Unity
Quote by crustyreed

it's probably for 100 yards, instead of meters (unless he was just trying to look cool on T3H iNteRneTzzzz!!)
Page 1 of 2