The other day I was driving with the stereo off ZOMG and my windows down and I noticed a really annoying buzzing/grinding/vibrating noise at right around 1500-1700 RPM's. I'm thinking that its probably a loose heat shield but would that be dependent on RPM's? Also when I check out the heat shields to see if they are the culprit what exactly am I looking for?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Well, it could be anything in your car that is loose and resonates at the sound frequency your engine creates at that RPM range.
mmmk.
Well, it could be anything in your car that is loose and resonates at the sound frequency your engine creates at that RPM range.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I would look at your Catalytic converter

If that is it, on newer cars they are expensive, on old ones they aren't, but in a bigger city you need one for emissions testing. In a smaller town just sell the platinum in it.

Edit: What kind of car and year?

and that is an interesting double post up above.
Member #12 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

Samauri #2 if your interested.
Quote by tacomundo

Yeah, it slightly disoriented me.
mmmk.
Quote by tacomundo
I would look at your Catalytic converter

If that is it, on newer cars they are expensive, on old ones they aren't, but in a bigger city you need one for emissions testing. In a smaller town just sell the platinum in it.

Edit: What kind of car and year?

1996 Subaru Outback
EDIT: So in theory it COULD be a loose heat shield thats produces a certain frequency at that RPM?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
put the tip of a long screwdriver on the heat shield and the base of it press against your ear. if you hear the same noise through the screwdriver thats where its coming from
Quote by Nikk
put the tip of a long screwdriver on the heat shield and the base of it press against your ear. if you hear the same noise through the screwdriver thats where its coming from

With the car on or off?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
The heat shield of my catalytic converter did that while i was idling/just above idling. I just took it off, because it's only used if you drive long distances and then park in long grass....
Drive me home Jeeves
More than likely it IS some kind of heat shield rattling around, had the same problem with my civic, it turned out to be a heat shield, which you don't need, over the catalytic converter.
UG's 94th 300 Spartan!!

My Gear:
Hamer Vector
Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider 2 212

Quote by Dirge Humani
I can make my penis hard if I think a lot.

Quote by Hope Sowders
Me: Have you ever used a Ouija board?
Her: Like the things you play on in the ocean? Those boards? Yeah
.... I don't really know where you guys are going with this heat shield business.

If the heat shield is busted loose it will always vibrate. It's not damn tuning fork, it's a friggin piece of metal to keep your car from catching fire. In my dads truck the platinum in the catalytic converter is broken loose and makes a shuddering noise at low RPMS but goes away. I would bet that it is your cat making the noise. There is no certain frequency about it.

Tap your heat shield..... Another thing.... There are several heat shields in you car. There is on by the exhaust manifold, a few by the exhaust pipe running underneath your car, and also on the inside of the engine compartment. ..... anyways.... tap it with a screwdriver and if it moves its your heat shield. If not then I told you so.
Member #12 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

Samauri #2 if your interested.
Quote by tacomundo
.... I don't really know where you guys are going with this heat shield business.

If the heat shield is busted loose it will always vibrate. It's not damn tuning fork, it's a friggin piece of metal to keep your car from catching fire. In my dads truck the platinum in the catalytic converter is broken loose and makes a shuddering noise at low RPMS but goes away. I would bet that it is your cat making the noise. There is no certain frequency about it.

Tap your heat shield..... Another thing.... There are several heat shields in you car. There is on by the exhaust manifold, a few by the exhaust pipe running underneath your car, and also on the inside of the engine compartment. ..... anyways.... tap it with a screwdriver and if it moves its your heat shield. If not then I told you so.

Don't think its the cat because it sounds to me like its coming from the engine compartment.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
i had the same problem, and it turns out that it wasn't the heat shield at all

try spraying some wd40 on your drive belts

if it stops the noise...sweet, that's an easy fix (change the drivebelts)

if it doesn't...well, you can rule another thing out, also sweet
Quote by mybsaccownt
i had the same problem, and it turns out that it wasn't the heat shield at all

try spraying some wd40 on your drive belts

if it stops the noise...sweet, that's an easy fix (change the drivebelts)

if it doesn't...well, you can rule another thing out, also sweet

On the actual belt or on the pulley? Wouldn't that cause some slippage? Was your problem related to the RPMs?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Ok so I reved it to the culprit RPM's in park and I can hear it but just barely so that rules out the wheel bearings. I had my dad stand outside the car and he said it sounds like its coming from right under the drivers seat. I looked and the heat shield that runs over the pipes looks like its actually missing the front bolt BUT I can't find anywhere under the car where it would bolt into. If it helps I can take pics.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm