hi,i have an old epiphone lp with loose machine heads,a few months ago i stripped them off and refilled the holes with woodfiller,the screws held for a while but they have came loose again.I would like to replace the machine heads,they are the vintage style heads but i would like the more modern tulip heads can anyone recommend machine heads like these that will swap perfectly with the vintage style without having to widen the holes?
instead of buying new machine heads, take out all the woodfiller from the holes. Put in a wood dowel, cut and sand until level with the headstock, then redrill the tuner holes. For the screw holes, maybe a couple of tooth picks.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
thanks for the info gngonzalesjoe,I may just swap them for a new set of vintage style.as for the holes,i don't think they need filled out and redrilled,the bushes are pretty tight,its just that the small screws on the back that are loosening.
forget the thing i said about the wood dowels. For some reason i thought you said the bushings were loose. Like i said earlier for stripped screw holes, you can try the toothpick thing. As for buying new tuning machines, just find out the size of the tuning post or the bushings. Then look at new tuning machines spec to see if they will be a perfect fit.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
hi gonzalesjoe,i decided to stick with the vintage style and purchased a brand new set on ebay.the old machine heads gears are gone i think(i'm playing it safe).im gonna leave the old bushings on if i can get away with it cause they are solid but i have never tried the old toothpick and glue trick on the tiny screw holes at the back of the headstock.would a plastic woodfiller be safe to use?