if i made a pedal that was loosely based off schematics that someone else owns but with at least like 3 changes could i sell it legally? jw cuz i need some money and i think that would be a really cool way to make a little bit. sorry if this is the wrong forum.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
if you mass produce it or start an actual business you might get into some hot water somehow if the owners of the schematics find out. if you just make 1 or 2 and sell them on the side, i don't think anything would go wrong, but then again i'm no legal expert. :/
As H(i)SS said, 1 or 2 will be fine.

But if you start mass producing, you'll need more money then you probably want/need at the minute, so it'd be wasted time/energy.

Especially if you add any legal issues.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
well i wont be going and mass producing them i was just hoping it wasnt like a total no-no that everyone but me knew about.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
you mean 'owns' in having the rights bought to that schematic? In that case, it might be a tricky thing to do... but if you make changes to it, and it's (like you said) loosely based on... than it's no problem....

otherwise there would be 1 branch for guitarstrings, even 1 branch for toothpaste.... if you know what I mean
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
Quote by Aplanken
you mean 'owns' in having the rights bought to that schematic? In that case, it might be a tricky thing to do... but if you make changes to it, and it's (like you said) loosely based on... than it's no problem....

otherwise there would be 1 branch for guitarstrings, even 1 branch for toothpaste.... if you know what I mean

i mean that they designed it so i assume they would have the rights to it. but yeh it wont be a very close copy. i would use it more like a basic guideline and change it to fit what i want.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
Yea, i think even one change is sufficient to get away with it.
Marshall copied Fender amps in the early days, with just a couple of minor changes, and they were fine.
yeah I was going to say, aren't a lot of tube amps based of off some of the original fender amps.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Cloning is legal, maybe not ethical, but legal. Just change the name.

A lot boutique pedals are clones. Most are clones are of out-of-production pedals though.

Research the net a little bit on copyrighting schematics and such. You will find out that you can't copyright a schematic. Using trademarked names is where you get into trouble.
Last edited by The Real Ming at Mar 20, 2008,
Quote by The Real Ming
Cloning is legal, maybe not ethical, but legal. Just change the name.

A lot boutique pedals are clones. Most are clones are of out-of-production pedals though.

Research the net a little bit on copyrighting schematics and such. You will find out that you can't copyright a schematic. Using trademarked names is where you get into trouble.
You CAN copyright a schematic. But not the circuit itself. That would require a patent. If you use the original drawings in publication for profit, you WILL be in violation of copyright laws. That's a slam-dunk.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by a4lrocker
if i made a pedal that was loosely based off schematics that someone else owns but with at least like 3 changes could i sell it legally? jw cuz i need some money and i think that would be a really cool way to make a little bit. sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Make sure it's not copyrighted first. If not, then mass produce it and sell away...
to be "okay" legally, at least in the USA, you would need some minor changes (figure in two or three small changes), as well as making sure the name and packaging of the product is different enough from anything else.

if it's too close of a design, or too close of a marketing scheme to something else, the way you say something or the way it looks may be the reserved right of another company! (it's semantics mostly)

as for 100% clones, here is my personal opinion.

1. if you're cloning the look, controls, and schematics to a point where nobody can tell the difference AND selling it, that's pretty uncool. bad mojo. stealing someone else's ingenuity.
2. if you're doing what was previously mentioned for your own personal use, cool. great. you learned how to counterfeit something. It's acceptable to do so for your OWN use, in my opinion, because unlike ripping CD's to MP3's, the ratio of persons capable and willing of counterfeiting pedals to those who would just purchase them, is quite different.

and for the disclaimer: if you don't agree with anything I've said, I don't care. I stated where my opinions were. if you laugh, it's okay. I'm obviously drunk. if I were drunk typing by the rules without fixing and backspacing, my sentences would look like this:

here is a typical senteacne if you've beeen drinaking//.

humor: it helps.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
or you can build an original pedal and sell that. i dont like the idea of changing like 3 things, then selling them to be honest.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...