I've just started learning scales etc. I know for improv soloing, you basically just stick a scale and play around in it etc... obviously, we're not talking professional here.

So, say I'm jamming with a bunch of friends (in this example, lets assume they suck at guitar) and one goes into G-D-C or something the like. How do I know which scale to pick? Or Am-G-D-C... or any simple progression.... how do I pick a scale?
pick the root note. if the song goes G-D-C, and then repeats, id go with G....isnt that the knockin on heavens door progression?
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
This?

Edit: While your at it check Part 5 aswell
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Last edited by victoryaloy at Mar 19, 2008,
^^^ that'd be Em, the relative minor of the root
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
G-D-C = G Major

Am-G-D-C = A Dorian?
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
^^^
yep thats right.

I luld at ur sig
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
EDit i f'd up pretty good there nm my post um......

fell like an idiot anyways cary on
song stuck in my head today

Last edited by lbc_sublime at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by Dimebag Dave
G-D-C = G Major

Am-G-D-C = A Dorian?

Am-G-D-C = G major.

Modes will not be established unless played over vamps, or if the V chord is altered to be dominant, and pull to the tonic, while all the other chords suggest the modality.
G D C sounds like G major, which is also E minor, and C Lydian as well.
peanuts and beers
Quote by Infatuation
G D C sounds like G major, which is also E minor, and C Lydian as well.

These are the notes of the C Lydian scale, yes, but as isaac_bandits said, you won't be playing in C Lydian unless determined by the chord progression (i.e. a maj7#11 chord).

Just because the notes belong to a certain mode doesn't mean it's correct to name it as such.
Quote by :-D
These are the notes of the C Lydian scale, yes, but as isaac_bandits said, you won't be playing in C Lydian unless determined by the chord progression (i.e. a maj7#11 chord).

Just because the notes belong to a certain mode doesn't mean it's correct to name it as such.

Even a Lydian chord will usually establish itself as the sub dominant, unless it is a vamp, or the chord a fifth above it is dominant, in which case, it will only establish itself as a tonic chord for the Lydian mode, if all the chords aside from the dominant would fit in that mode, and the dominant is altered to be dominant.
Quote by rageagainst64
pick the root note. if the song goes G-D-C, and then repeats, id go with G....isnt that the knockin on heavens door progression?

Yes it is... just throwing it out as an easy example.

So basically, G is going to be a dominant (sorry I know nothing about theory... gonna work on that soon) so if it is a simple major chord progression with G in there, G major will probably work?

Thanks a bunch guys... And yeah... The word lydian scares the crap out of me... it sounds confusing.
Quote by ZanasCross
Yes it is... just throwing it out as an easy example.

So basically, G is going to be a dominant (sorry I know nothing about theory... gonna work on that soon) so if it is a simple major chord progression with G in there, G major will probably work?

Thanks a bunch guys... And yeah... The word lydian scares the crap out of me... it sounds confusing.

Not necessarily. A Gmaj triad is common in many keys, but will be the dominant V chord of C major. A G major scale could work, but not always. It is best to look at the whole progression, and see what to do