Page 1 of 2
i am reading this book for the third time in 6 years and find it as interesting as the first time i picked it up.
tha characters are brilliant,especially o'brian, and winston's world is an incredibly terrifying vision of a negative utopia and how easy country can slide into a totalatarian state in the name of democracy.
although large parts of the book are based on some soviet comparisons,i find this book to be relevant in our times as well
does anyone agree?disagree?
thoughts or critisism on this book plz
my friend was telling me about that book, ill have to pick it up when the library goes off strike.
Call me Jack
my second favorite book of all time....
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
rats...
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

Amazing. Should be a required reading for everyone.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
great book. We are reading it in English this year, but I read it already in grade 7. Of course I had to read it about 5 times in grade 7 to understand it, but thats life. Its very similar to Brave New World in many ways.
only because they are negative utopias
1984 is much much better than brave new world
Quote by Vandals572
nineteen! nineteen! nineteen eighty five!!!

BOWLING FOR SOUP!!!!11!1!!111!!!ELEVEN!!!!ONE!!!!1

OMAHGAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by hawk5211
great book. We are reading it in English this year, but I read it already in grade 7. Of course I had to read it about 5 times in grade 7 to understand it, but thats life. Its very similar to Brave New World in many ways.

George Orwell actually ended up sending a copy of 1984 to Aldous Huxley (author of Brave New World) when Brave New World was released, noting how the two were similar. Aldous Huxley then responded in a letter essentially saying "Yeah, but mine's way better because it would definitely turn out like this eventually, even in the case of your book. Yours was alright though." It kind of made me dislike Huxley a little to read it, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
He who controls the past controls the present. He who controls the present controls the past.

I wish Orwell included the rest of Goldstein's book though, the chapters that were included were amazing.
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
I adore this book, I really do. The ending never ceases to leave me with a slight chill...I have to say I don't think I really engage with the characters, but it isn't a book lead or dominated by its characters; the ideology of the book is its driving force. I think its a novel that encapsulates and defines 20th Century living in the western world. It's weird to think how concepts such as "room 101" and "big brother" have been adapted into English culture. Much like More "killed the epic" with Paradise Lost, no author can better 1984 in the dystopian genre.

Please, just read it.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Quote by Chobes

amidoingitrite?

I was about to post that....

and to TS: I loved the book so much I put the reference in my sig.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by Broken_Drum

Good book though. Anyone read Animal Farm?

I thoroughly enjoyed Animal Farm, I thought it was brilliant. Oddly enough I couldn't finish 1984...
I love 1984 and Animal Farm. They are both terrific books - both very captivating and symbolic of human nature, yet they both provide a very (or at relatively) easy read if you just feel like reading instead of being analytical.

I really should reread those books sometime in the near future...
1984 is my favorite book. It completely changed my outlook on life and my political stance. Animal Farm is good too, as is Homage to Catalonia, which is actually non-fiction, it's Orwell's experience in the Spanish Civil War, a must read.
Bторой член в"Русскoй группe."PM Vindication to join
Quote by psychedelic420
I think Tiksi settled the matters. haha great job!

Quote by happytimeharry
The power of Christ compels me...

to touch myself.

Deputy Leader, Secretary General, UG Ambassador USA
yeah i liked animal farm more, towards the end though I kept expecting the old donkey to lead an uprising against the pigs haha thats what hollywood movies have done to me.

I'm reading The Catcher in the Rye at the momet and what up with the main character he's a douche haha
Catcher in the Rye managed to get me to hate reading for about a month. That book, it pissed me off more than anything.
Bторой член в"Русскoй группe."PM Vindication to join
Quote by psychedelic420
I think Tiksi settled the matters. haha great job!

Quote by happytimeharry
The power of Christ compels me...

to touch myself.

Deputy Leader, Secretary General, UG Ambassador USA
dystopia ftw!
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I really liked The Catcher in the Rye too, as well as To Kill a Mocking Bird. All of these are fantastic books really...

Would anyone care to offer up some other essential reading, or at least recommend some more good books? I wouldn't mind immersing myself in a good read.
1984 is amazing. Brave New World just isn't.

Aldous Huxley must've had a great ego, as the book seems to be written as a personal statement instead of art. He should've stuck with the Doors of Perception. He inspired at least one big rock act there

George Orwell is being so genuine throughout the book, and makes you think. I read it when I was 14 in English (I'm Norwegian btw), and I understood pretty much most of it.
I'm looking forward to reading it again in some years.
no 1) the word you are looking for it anti-utopia

no 2) Aldous Huxley, was in fact one of Georges professors.

no 3) I read this book 10 times in one year, who's gonna beat that?
Quote by ratherbedead
he actually is a hypocrite

Everyone's a hypocrite, a phony; he hates phonys
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
actually crustyreed,huxley was a tutor i think
and negative utopia is the correct term
and orwell was much better
Quote by crustyreed

you win a crusty turd
Quote by amyisforcynics
2+2=5

the best thing about 2+2=5 is that, given you're rounding to the nearest whole number, it is true. 2.4 (2) + 2.4 (2) = 4.8 (5)

I spent many a futile hour in maths class pissing around trying to get numbers to misbehave using that little loophole.

I'm not ignorant of the actual meaning in the book, I just thought I'd share a more literal approach that I once took

that and bloody god song.

EDIT: you're all wrong, or at least not entirely efficient with your language. the word for a negative utopia is dystopia . Quite simple really. use it.

The gentleman with the pneumatic bosom avatar got it already but you morons ignored him.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Last edited by shoolocomous at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by crustyreed

don't wanna be a dick or anything but there is a word for "anti-utopia"...it's dystopia...anyhow, 1984 was a pretty good book, I read it earlier this year, found it quite interesting, but mainly because of the ideas...I found the actual story to be nothing too special...I actually enjoyed most of brave new world as well, though many people didn't like it too much...I think both books are very applicable in their basic concepts, it's interesting how they are almost complete opposites, but the fundamental goals of the world controllers in both books are actually the same...anyhow, I read animal farm a couple days ago and enjoyed that the most of the three...shows how succeptible the masses can be to lies and ideas spread by governments...good books!

EDIT: ^^sorry I didn't realize the guy above me already mentioned the dystopia=negative utopia thing...
Member of UG's gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join.
Last edited by DR132 at Mar 19, 2008,
Page 1 of 2