I recently started a new job and they will not pay me for training, my last job did and im told its illegal to not pay someone for training, at-least here (ontario canada)

does anyone know if this is true and if so where I can find the "proof" to back it up, im pretty pissed about working 4 days for free

thanks so much

-tands
^Agreed.

I know that I got paid normal wage for my training at some movie theatre near Toronto.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
yeah get an attorney, don't work another minute till you do so.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
I live in Ontario Canada and I've had to put in 15 free training hours also at one point. I thought it was bull**** at the time, but quickly got over it.
get in touch with the labour board, or HRDC. they will get your money for you asap. hours worked is hours paid, regardless. sounds like you work for some rat bastard i quit on a few years back, haha.
I got paid for my training to. I would look it up. Ask a lawyer maybe, or ask the teacher in your school that teaches law.
Guess what easier and much better than an attorney.

Ask your union. If you're not in one join one.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Definitely illegal in Ontario.

I got paid to watch movies during orientation at my work.
Suing your employer is a great way to start off your new job. Just let it go, it can't be more than $100 or so, which will likely be less than your attorney fees.

-SD
Quote by SilentDeftone
Suing your employer is a great way to start off your new job. Just let it go, it can't be more than $100 or so, which will likely be less than your attorney fees.

-SD

yea $100 followed by the $55 uniform for the job, so im alreadly down $155 plus the $6 a day for transit, so thats $24 so in total $180, almost half my rent right there
Quote by tands
yea $100 followed by the $55 uniform for the job, so im alreadly down $155 plus the $6 a day for transit, so thats $24 so in total $180, almost half my rent right there

And attorneys cost $200+ an hour. Stop whining.

-SD
Quote by SilentDeftone

-SD

Great advice, let people walk all over you because you don't want to make a scene at the new job. Stand up for yourself, what's right is right and don't let people **** you.

Just because you're new doesn't mean they should be allowed to take advantage of you. There are other options to pursue besides a lawyer. The labor board for example. Ask around.
Jackson RR5 Rhoads
ESP Viper 400
Epiphone Les Paul EMGs (81/85)
Edwards E-CY-165CTM
FJA Modded ENGL Powerball Halfstack
Framus Cobra + Avatar 4x12 Greenbacks
I recently got a job that's a 25 hour drive away from home. They don't pay me for the first 20 hours i work every week... but I get to live there, eat their food, and use their cable and internet. I couldn't be happier.

New life here I come.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
Part of being grown up and professional is knowing when to let something go, if you fight back everytime someone who can walk all over you walks all over you then you'll be out of a lot of jobs in no time at all.
All I ever do at work is train, and they pay me nicely
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by Kantroce
Great advice, let people walk all over you because you don't want to make a scene at the new job. Stand up for yourself, what's right is right and don't let people **** you.
Great advice. Have an adverse relationship with your employer for whatever time you continue to work there, waste a bunch of your own time and money on attorney's fees, and MAYBE break even when all is said and done. Brilliant. Just brilliant.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Kantroce

thank you couldnt agree more, who knows if the people working there now would have stood up maybe i wouldnt have too, hopefully my fight will help others down the line
How will it help others exactly? They'll be employed you'll be unemployed, all they'll learn from it is don't stand up to someone when you're disposable.
Quote by Kantroce

Just because you're new doesn't mean they should be allowed to take advantage of you. There are other options to pursue besides a lawyer. The labor board for example. Ask around.

He should have asked about this before he was hired. I'm sure that his (free) training is one of the conditions on which he was chosen to be hired by the company. Same as the purchase of the uniform, etc.

+1 to Alix_D.

-SD
Quote by Alix_D
How will it help others exactly? They'll be employed you'll be unemployed, all they'll learn from it is don't stand up to someone when you're disposable.

if they fired me over this that would be breaking other laws
Quote by tands
Quote by Kantroce

thank you couldnt agree more, who knows if the people working there now would have stood up maybe i wouldnt have too, hopefully my fight will help others down the line
Well you got the answer you were hoping for.
Let us know how this turns out, six months to a year from now, when it's all settled.

Good luck to you on your crusade.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Great advice. Have an adverse relationship with your employer for whatever time you continue to work there, waste a bunch of your own time and money on attorney's fees, and MAYBE break even when all is said and done. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

I never even mentioned an attorney. There are other ways to go about it. It sounds like a great job, they're already screwing you from the first day you started working. I wouldn't be worried about keeping it.
Jackson RR5 Rhoads
ESP Viper 400
Epiphone Les Paul EMGs (81/85)
Edwards E-CY-165CTM
FJA Modded ENGL Powerball Halfstack
Framus Cobra + Avatar 4x12 Greenbacks
Quote by tands
how do i contact the labour board?

go to the hrsdc web site, find a local office, hrsdc is human resources services and developement canada, from there, you can email or call someone, they will get back to you right away.

good luck
Oh suck it up, I'm interning in a recording studio for no pay whatsoever (its the way sh*t goes down in this industry) until june.
Quote by Uncle Fonzie
Oh suck it up, I'm interning in a recording studio for no pay whatsoever (its the way sh*t goes down in this industry) until june.

It's different when you have a cool job.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
If you live in the US Labor and Industries is your best friend
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo