I kinda strapped for cash right now but i want a really versatile distortion or overdrive pedal. I play blues, and i'd like to be able to try out some metal stuff (I've always listened to it just never played it), and i dig Steve Vai's tone (well i prefer Greg Howe's but i think more peopel know Steve). Is there one pedal that could give me all three? I want to avoid going over $100 but i welcome any advice.

I'm pretty sure the Boss Metal Zone MT-2 can give me the metal and Vai/Howe tones but i'm almost positive it can't do blues...
Quote by Kwesi
I kinda strapped for cash right now but i want a really versatile distortion or overdrive pedal. I play blues, and i'd like to be able to try out some metal stuff (I've always listened to it just never played it), and i dig Steve Vai's tone (well i prefer Greg Howe's but i think more peopel know Steve). Is there one pedal that could give me all three? I want to avoid going over $100 but i welcome any advice.

I'm pretty sure the Boss Metal Zone MT-2 can give me the metal and Vai/Howe tones but i'm almost positive it can't do blues...

If you can spend a little bit more money have a look at the Maxon OD808, I play blues like mad and it is the nicest OD pedal I have ever used, absolutely the most transparent OD!! I can also get an amazing Keith Richards type raunchy tone out of it. As for rock and metal tones, they are also there.....depending on the amp you are playing through. I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb, and with the OD808, there is no metal sound coming out of it....but I didn't expect there to be. I also have a Traynor YCV50 Blue and with the gain jacked up even to 7 the OD 808 helps out....It certainly isn't over the top metal, but sustain wise, and gain wise it will help. Honestly, I know you were asking around the 100.00 mark, but go to the store and see if you can at least try one out. I am fussy as hell when it comes to OD pedals and this one in my opinion is the nicest I've played.
^win

The Jekyll and Hyde is worth a look if you have a tube amp, but if it's SS and you want stand alone distortion for the clean channel the Sansamp is a beter choice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by GoldenTrees
The saTCHurator...looks tiight

+1!

Not out yet though
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...