Is there any way to make vibrato (not the classical or acoustic style, the bending style) easier to do and faster? I know it takes practice to get it clean and right, but I was wondering if the UG community had some tips that would help.

Do you think bending up is easier than bending down for vibrato? How is your hand positioned/anchored down to do it?
Bending the strings up towards the bass strings (4th, 5th, and 6th strings) feels alot more natural than bending (actually feels like a pull to me) downward towards the treble strings, but of course if you want some vibrato on the lowest strings, the 5th and 6th specifically, you'll have to bend them downward towards the treble strings.

edit:

Hook your thumb around the neck so that the tip of your thumb is sort of sticking up over the fret board and the neck fills the space between your thumb and first finger. Use your forearm by twisting it, move the string from your forearm not from the strength of your fingers alone, if you get what I mean.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Last edited by Baasoromyuu at Mar 19, 2008,
I bend up with my left hand. I find using the vibrato to bend up stresses out the strings too much. The left hand only does the string or strings I want. As far as the bar, you just get used to grabbing it. I occasionally lay my pinky and ring finger on it right before the bend that turns down into the tailpiece if I know I'm going for it. Then I'll just kind of pull the bar into position quickly with those two fingers and then slide up the bar and hit it. It's all just how often you plan on using it and what's comfortable for you. Some people tighten the bar already in position. I let mine just swing so I have to compensate for that with the two aforementioned fingers. Someday, I'm going to make a bar that just sticks straight out of the tailpiece like a stick-shift!! See how that goes...
I know I have to bend down specifically for the low E (obviously so that the string doesn't slide off the board). And just to clarify, I don't have or use a whammy bar, but thanks anyways Badorphan for giving tips on that.

Is it preferable to use a wrist action, or an arm action? I've seen both.
Use your forearm mostly, just make sure you're not only using your wrist, you might be able to get away with that only when you've built up enough strength in your fingers. Just try to get comfortable with 1/2 step bends, use your ear, try to recognize when you've bent up to the right pitch. They're pretty easy on the treble strings, so you'll probably want to try whole step bends on those strings and try 1/2 step bends on the bass strings for awhile. If you're like me, you might try to become proficient in bending with every finger, from easy to harder (higher pitch) bends.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Quote by Baasoromyuu
Use your forearm mostly, just make sure you're not only using your wrist, you might be able to get away with that only when you've built up enough strength in your fingers. Just try to get comfortable with 1/2 step bends, use your ear, try to recognize when you've bent up to the right pitch. They're pretty easy on the treble strings, so you'll probably want to try whole step bends on those strings and try 1/2 step bends on the bass strings for awhile. If you're like me, you might try to become proficient in bending with every finger, from easy to harder (higher pitch) bends.

Whoa, thanks. But now that makes me wonder...do the pros pros vibrato up to a full step usually?