Seriously.
I've been told to upgrade my amp. My Line 6 Spider III 75...Is it really that bad? I personally like it but many people have been telling me. "Upgrade...upgrade...upgrade!"
What could I possibly get that suits my style?
- Metal is what I play.
- I must have a stage amp. Used for gigs and what not. (Cab or no cab, preferably no cab)
- An amp whereas I won't really need an extreme Distortion pedal.

Any ideas?
I've been told the Peavey VK 112....
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
IF you like it, screw what everyone else says. That said, for gigging, a solid state modeler won't cut it. I would not get a Valveking though... unreliable Chinese crap. Look at a used 5150/6505 combo for that price.

EDIT: And before you ask why, USA made, they sound great out of the box, and have a lot more gain on tap.
Yes the VK would be an upgrade, what sorta budget u working with?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Look for a used 5150 combo.. If you can't afford that try the Valveking combo..
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Mmm I like the Peavey 5150. Thanks for the helppp!
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Dont change just cause "everyone" says you need to. If YOU like your sound stick with it, you can gig with a Line 6. With high gain metal, you're not gonna see much difference in sound betwen tube and SS.......in some cases SS is better for that genre. BTW a valveking would be a step DOWN. Just because an amp has tubes does'nt automatically make it better than everythingt thing without tubes.
Quote by irok660
Dont change just cause "everyone" says you need to. If YOU like your sound stick with it, you can gig with a Line 6. With high gain metal, you're not gonna see much difference in sound betwen tube and SS.......in some cases SS is better for that genre. BTW a valveking would be a step DOWN. Just because an amp has tubes does'nt automatically make it better than everythingt thing without tubes.

Valveking would be a step up for everything but metal tone and reliability actually, it does everything but the extremes of metal pretty decently but not exceptionally, whereas the spider is the other way around.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
If you like the Line 6, go for it! If you're gigging at a reputable place, they SHOULD have a PA, and for recording, volume doesn't matter at all. I'd only upgrade if you don't like your current tone.
I actually like the Spider amps (except for gigging). They can get a lot of good sounds (and a lot of bad ones) but arent the most reliable amps.
Quote by Vandals572
the valveking doesn't have enough distortion for metal

It actually does. People just use overdrives to tighten up the gain and smoothen it out.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I have a Peavey Valveking that has been put through hell and still works after a year of hard use. It has a lot of gain, some like it for metal some don't. Its definitely not "an unreliable piece of crap."
rofl.. as soon as i read the title of this thread i said to myself, "i bet you this guy has a line6 spider"

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by uldhppi
I have a Peavey Valveking that has been put through hell and still works after a year of hard use. It has a lot of gain, some like it for metal some don't. Its definitely not "an unreliable piece of crap."

I have seen a LOT of problems with this in just threads here and reviews.
Quote by irok660

You sir are a fool.
I can here a VERY VERY audiable difference between Hi-gain SS and Hi-Gain Tube. Lets take that Spider III and stack it up next to a Mesa rectoverb and see which one sounds better. Hi-gain SS, Muddy, undefined, flabbier than my stomach, and trebly shriekish, (CLIPS LIKE A JERK!). Good Hi-gain Tube, Powerful, Warm yet Br00tal, Clear, and not treble shriek! (keep in mind the good Hi-Gain tube amps only apply to certain things).

TS, Have you ever played out of an ENGL, or a MESA, or an old JCM800, or a Splawn, or a Laney? if not, than you should, and than you will understand why Tube, in the end, destroys Solid State.
Yeah get a 5150....if you want to sound like everyone else.

There's a ton of decent amps out there. I have a B-52 AT100 that is great and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Good cleans, good distortion (I also play metal) and you don't need anything in front of it to get it to go to metal (maybe an OD if it still lacks enough gain for your tastes.)

I'm so tired of seeing people ask about a new amp, and everyone jumps on the 5150 bandwagon like lemmings. Is it a great amp for metal? Sure. But let's get creative people, there's so much more out there.

And yeah I've owned one myself years back, it's great if all you want is uber-gain, but as I got older I realized there was more to life than just gain.

Play what YOU like, if it inspires you, great.
Esp JH-200
Austin LP Copy
Esp DV8r
Epiphone Faded G-400 SG
B-52 AT-100 Head
Peavey Royal 8
Last edited by blackinside79 at Mar 20, 2008,
Quote by blackinside79
Yeah get a 5150....if you want to sound like everyone else.

At least you won't sound like a B-52 with a Behringer cab. Lmfao.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

I would recomend a used Peavey 5150, or maybe them new Bugera amps, they are meant to sound almost identical to the 5150, but alot cheaper.

A valveking with an OD pedal will sound alot better than your spider either way.
Spiders lack feel. The saturation is good, but sound just too much of a Pedal.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by blackinside79
Old sig, got my avatar now, nice try though.

In your earlier post, you have a point.

Alot of people have the 5150.

But EQ's, guitars, cabs and all this will make the sound differ.

Marshall is a sound you could reckognize in a instant, but this is a positive in another view.

I feel that spiders make a crappy strat sound good, but also makes a $2000 guitar sound just the same.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by Hakanku
I would recomend a used Peavey 5150, or maybe them new Bugera amps, they are meant to sound almost identical to the 5150, but alot cheaper.

A valveking with an OD pedal will sound alot better than your spider either way.

+1 all around, although I'm starting to hear some reliability problems with the Bugeras.

Anyway iTzMaTT, I understand you liking your amp. It does a lot of different things, and in the bedroom it can sound pretty good.

Where it fails, IMHO, is precisely where you're looking to succeed: on stage. That's where the fizziness of the Spider will just dissipate into the mix. Nothing about it stands out live.

If you've never played a tube amp, you need to give one a try. The pure oomph behind the 5150 will blow you (and your mates) away when you first plug in. The difference will be HUGE. Once you try one, you won't like your Spider any more.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^+1
Quote by perkristian876
Spiders lack feel. The saturation is good, but sound just too much of a Pedal.

I agree. The saturation is good but it's more like a pedal.
Thanks for the help everyone.
I DO like my Spider III but...I think getting the Peavey 5150 III will be better suited for me. I went on Youtube and saw some demo videos of it and it does sound pretty good regardless of the guitars used and what not.
Of course, I won't be getting this upgrade soon. I don't have the money at the moment. Just getting ideas.
Thanks again everyone!
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
I feel that spiders make a crappy strat sound good, but also makes a $2000 guitar sound just the same.

Yeah I totally agree. And just to be clear, I'm in no way bashing the 5150, it IS a great metal amp. Just really common, like every 15 year old immediately recommends it when a "which amp" thread comes up.

And yeah you can use an eq and such, I did when I owned mine, but with so many great amps out there right now, I guess I just wanted to see somebody recommend something a little different, if not for the TS, than for my general info.
Esp JH-200
Austin LP Copy
Esp DV8r
Epiphone Faded G-400 SG
B-52 AT-100 Head
Peavey Royal 8
Op asked if the 5150 was good, many replied. But yes. It's a very common amp. It is a good amp indeed:O But yes...

Now.

Other choises could be Marshall DSL or Handwired. I could recomend the JCM800 too, but i dont favor amps who need a OD pedal to be able to handle the most hardcore. I think it chokes the sound a bit.

You could also REALLY consider ENGL or Bogner. Really awesome amps.
For more expensive choises, look into Mesa boogie and krank.
Quote by iTzMaTT
I think getting the Peavey 5150 III will be better suited for me.

I'm pretty sure the 5150 III is a Fender product. If you look around for used Peavey 5150 combos, you should be able to find one under $600 (or less). You could be upgraded a lot sooner than you thought.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Highwaytohell
You sir are a fool.
I can here a VERY VERY audiable difference between Hi-gain SS and Hi-Gain Tube. Lets take that Spider III and stack it up next to a Mesa rectoverb and see which one sounds better. Hi-gain SS, Muddy, undefined, flabbier than my stomach, and trebly shriekish, (CLIPS LIKE A JERK!). Good Hi-gain Tube, Powerful, Warm yet Br00tal, Clear, and not treble shriek! (keep in mind the good Hi-Gain tube amps only apply to certain things).

TS, Have you ever played out of an ENGL, or a MESA, or an old JCM800, or a Splawn, or a Laney? if not, than you should, and than you will understand why Tube, in the end, destroys Solid State.

Any difference you perceive in a side by side test would be VISUAL NOT AUDIBLE!!!! I guarantee in a blind clip test you couldn't tell! I'm willing to back up that claim. Lets do a soundclip test. You get a Mesa (guess you'll have to borrow one) make a clip of some high gain stuff, chugs, power chords maybe some lead licks(if you know any)etc. Guitar>cord>amp. no effects at all. Make an MP3, mail it to me, I'll match it using my Bandit and post em. Then everyone can listen and decide. How bout it..........................FOOL!!!!
Quote by irok660
Any difference you perceive in a side by side test would be VISUAL NOT AUDIBLE!!!! I guarantee in a blind clip test you couldn't tell! I'm willing to back up that claim. Lets do a soundclip test. You get a Mesa (guess you'll have to borrow one) make a clip of some high gain stuff, chugs, power chords maybe some lead licks(if you know any)etc. Guitar>cord>amp. no effects at all. Make an MP3, mail it to me, I'll match it using my Bandit and post em. Then everyone can listen and decide. How bout it..........................FOOL!!!!

Yes. Your recording (probably not with the best mic and equipment), compressed and reproduced through non-optimal speakers or headphones is completely accurate for a test like this.

Basically it'll be a test of "Who can record better?". Even a good amp sounds bad if you record it badly.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
+1

That and I've seen engineers do amazing things with guitar tracks featuring amps that sound like utter crap.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
+1

That and I've seen engineers do amazing things with guitar tracks featuring amps that sound like utter crap.

Thank you. I have heard audiable differences live... I once saw a person make an MG sound good ( I WAS SCARED) using studio editing... it's not that hard. A Hi-gain Tube with recording will also be EASIER to make sound better... It also has the ability to cut through the mix live, SS, get lost in the sound...
Quote by irok660

Supposing for a minute that this could be true, why do virtually all pro musicians record & gig with tube amps? Oh, that's right. They're all tone-deaf, & you know how you can make them all sound better using your SS super-rig. I guess all those pro musicians must be a bunch of fools. You need to straighten them out.
Sheesh.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by irok660

Who the f**K is this guy?
You still like the sound that comes out of it when cranked at 12 to 3 o' clock?