Page 1 of 2
Do you bring your own guitar when trying amps or just try to pick out a similar one?
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
If I'm actually looking to BUY an amp, yes. Especially since, being left-handed the most I usually find at music stores are Strats and LPs, I have Jackson.. which is very different from both.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
does it matter?
pick the best guitar in the shop..
obviously a gibson lol
Quote by uvq
does it matter?
obviously a gibson lol

Gahhh, so much n00b in one post!
I'd bring my own but only because I use an 11 or 12 gauge and everything at the local store is strung with 9's
Quote by uvq
does it matter?
obviously a gibson lol

your cool

Really it doesn't matter, you can bring your own, or pick one up. An amp is most of your tone so if you generally like the sound of a guitar running the amp you're thinking about then it's safe to buy, because your guitar will sound pretty close to it. Also if you have EMG actives, just pick up something with the same EMG's, they sound almost the same regardless of guitar.
Quote by edusty2010
Really it doesn't matter, you can bring your own, or pick one up. An amp is most of your tone so if you generally like the sound of a guitar running the amp you're thinking about then it's safe to buy, because your guitar will sound pretty close to it. Also if you have EMG actives, just pick up something with the same EMG's, they sound almost the same regardless of guitar.

But, still why not reduce the variables?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Just find whatever has the samr pickup set up as you.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Well, most of my guitars are stock, and the Dean '79 series is fairly common, so that's not difficult to try an amp with that guitar. Same with my V, almost all Dimebucker equipped guitars sound similar.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by Doodleface
But, still why not reduce the variables?

Oh yeah I'm not saying it will be perfect if you don't bring your own, because your guitar WILL sound different than another. It's better to take your own, but if you can't just find something like it, that's my point.

Oh and when you do test an amp, don't play obnoxiously loud. Some people appriciate their own eardrums, don't **** with mine!

I kid I kid

But it is pretty asshole-ish to blast an amp.
I'll either go with a Jackson DK2 series if a shop has one, or if I'm at the place where I take lessons, I'll just grab what I have handy, which is normally my Charvel.
I just grab the closest thing next to me...If I dislike it, I go and get a different guitar.

Obviously you graduated first class from the University of Durr (to the Gibson n00blet)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i've done it once, but that was only because i needed to bring it in for a small repair.
but i think that if you're thinking about buying an amp, it cannot hurt to bring in your own guitar to test it out.
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
I bring my own guitar because One: No other guitar in the store is strung up like mine (black beauties , 10's thank you ), chances are that the store will /not/ have teh guitar brand i use. (Esp and Axl) and usually when i check out an amp i jam with teh store owners and workers. Yeah being know rockes 8D
WE are Betrayers of perfection

Member of the Bass Militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Once a king of roses in a kingdom of Gold

Gear | Guitar
  • ESP F-50
  • AXL Jacknife mayhem

Amp
Randall RX120RHS 120W 4x12 Half Stack
Of course, bring your own guitar xD I consider myself an unofficial Tone Nazi. I'll join as soon as I get good tone
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by jcopello
yes, since most shops dont carry showmasters.

My local one has two, actually. And its not a big store
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I bring my guitar because why worry about finding something similar when you can have 'the exact same' right with you?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Doodleface
If I'm actually looking to BUY an amp, yes. Especially since, being left-handed the most I usually find at music stores are Strats and LPs, I have Jackson.. which is very different from both.

Same here, only I use LP's ans semi hollows
half the time the store has poorly made left handed guitars, if any
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
If I go to a shop where I know they have Jacksons to use then I don't bring mine, otherwise I do.
Depends what I'm in the store.
If I'm going to try a specific amp that I may be buying then I take my own.
If I'm gojng to try as much stuff as possible I don't bother
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by uvq
does it matter?
obviously a gibson lol

You should have tried picking the best amp wee man.

A Marshall MG AND Valvestate!?
I always tell people to bring their guitar with them when they try out an amp. If you can't bring yours see if they have the same guitar on the wall if you like it then go home and get your guitar. The only problem I have is I like to see what an amp sounds like when it's cranked and a lot of places frown on it. I try and go very early or just before closing when no one is in the store.

John
Quote by uvq
does it matter?
obviously a gibson lol

Picking the best guitar in the shop and testing it on an average amp could make the amp seem better than it really is.

Obviously a Gibson? Yes, you can classify EVERY Gibson in a guitar store as being better than any other guitar in the store purely because it has the Gibson name tag on it.

If they'll let me I bring my guitar (washburn p290) and my pedal board because I run 8 and a lot of my pedals I have custom built. If not I find something similar to what I mainly use.
Maybe you should ask at the store if it's kewl for you to bring you're own axe in to try out amps. We can't say if it is or not. I can't see why they would say no, but store owners can be weird sometimes.
i pretty much only play in lower tunning and im terrible by tunning to ear so i always bring my own guitar because all the guitars at stores always have like 9s on them.
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
It's good to bring your own guitar. You get a better idea of what it'll sound like, instead of just grabbing the best guitar in the store and using that, then finding you don't like the way it sounds on your own guitar.
I ALWAYS bring my Artcore.. it's my baby XD

But really, I don't see my guitar in shops typically. The closest thing is an Epiphone Dot, which sucks in comparison.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I always bring my guitar when I'm looking around for future references or purposes, but if I'm just there to be there, I'll surf the guitar racks.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Bring your own unless EITHER (1) the store has a guitar exactly like yours; or (2) you're buying both a guitar AND an amp.

And I have carted my own amp to a store when I've been serious about buying a guitar and the store doesn't carry my amp.
American Deluxe Strats aren't hard to find, so I just grabbed one of those to try out my amp with.
Of course I take my guitar when trying amps. I never leave home without my guitar. You can't know when you're going to need it, can you? And if I had a 4x12 cabinet I'd always take it with me too, just in case.

Just joking! I usually don't take it. Just use the guitar I prefer on the shop (which is usually always the same guitar they've had for a long time in my case, a beautiful Fender '57 RI Strat )
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I always thought it was best to bring your own guitar to test out amps. Like someone said, it reduces the variables. I have had amps sound much different when I've gotten them home and I find it to be less if I use as much of my own equipment as I can to do testing. My local GC actually first advised me that I should bring my own to try the amps out. Since they carry a few of the guitars that I have, I don't bring them so often.

Same thing for guitars. I've brought my own amps with me to try out guitars unless they have the same amp already in store.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
No, they usually have a C-1 classic or a JEM lying around somewhere.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
not usually but ill try to use sumthing very similar to mine, like active EMGs and an alder body, stuff like that
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Page 1 of 2