Hey,
I am a college student attending The Hartt School of Music as a Music Composition major, with my primary instrument as guitar (non-classical). I am looking for people interested in taking guitar or composition lessons over this summer with me. Any abilities and musical backgrounds are invited. I am in the West Hartford area, so people in any of the surrounding towns are available to take lessons with me (eg. Newington, Farmington, Bloomfield, etc.). Rates are cheap (much lower than rates at colleges or through institutions), and scheduling is flexible.
I hope to hear from you,
-Dan
Wow. I'm applying as a composition major for Hartt School also!

It's not really one of my top choices though because I don't know anything about it. Can you tell me how is it?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Well, it's practically in my backyard. I live 20 minutes from it, but stay on campus for the whole living-by-oneself experience. To tell you the truth, because of my proximity, I never really considered it as a college choice. Huge and long story short, it was the only college I applied to on composition, and I am really glad that I'm there now. It isn't for some people, as one of my friends and fellow composition majors left after first semester (I'm part of the second semester freshman class), but I think it was just college life in general that he disliked. University of Hartford can seem to have lots of parties sometimes, but for Hartt students it's like you're in your own world-- where you still have access to the outside world and UHa. So, college is really what you make of it.

As far as Hartt specifics go, I assume that it is like many other conservatories/music schools in the style of composition promoted . "New music" is the style we are exposed to the most, which I can safely bet that is the style at other colleges as well. If you are wondering, an example of new music is a depiction/piece of artwork, which you play. I thought that was seriously way out there, but now it is kinda normal to me.

But, it's a welcoming and active environment filled with people who know their **** really, really, really well. So, any style is accepted. Otherwise none of my fellow freshman composition majors would have gotten in (including me). So, we get private composition lessons in whatever style we are writing in, even if it isn't in the modernist or new music styles.

So, I'm really glad that I ended up at Hartt. I actually feel really lucky, because of all the options, education, and people here.

Man, this is getting way to long. Anyways, based on what I've heard (from your MySpace), you should be able to get in comfortably. But don't give my opinion much worth, as you never know (college admissions can be a crap shoot sometimes, even though I would bet that you would get in).

So, keep up the great writing, great guitar playing, and college searching, and maybe you'll end up at Hartt.

What do you think? What other places are you looking at?

-Dan
Quote by Saberchimp13610
Well, it's practically in my backyard. I live 20 minutes from it, but stay on campus for the whole living-by-oneself experience. To tell you the truth, because of my proximity, I never really considered it as a college choice. Huge and long story short, it was the only college I applied to on composition, and I am really glad that I'm there now. It isn't for some people, as one of my friends and fellow composition majors left after first semester (I'm part of the second semester freshman class), but I think it was just college life in general that he disliked. University of Hartford can seem to have lots of parties sometimes, but for Hartt students it's like you're in your own world-- where you still have access to the outside world and UHa. So, college is really what you make of it.

As far as Hartt specifics go, I assume that it is like many other conservatories/music schools in the style of composition promoted . "New music" is the style we are exposed to the most, which I can safely bet that is the style at other colleges as well. If you are wondering, an example of new music is a depiction/piece of artwork, which you play. I thought that was seriously way out there, but now it is kinda normal to me.

But, it's a welcoming and active environment filled with people who know their **** really, really, really well. So, any style is accepted. Otherwise none of my fellow freshman composition majors would have gotten in (including me). So, we get private composition lessons in whatever style we are writing in, even if it isn't in the modernist or new music styles.

So, I'm really glad that I ended up at Hartt. I actually feel really lucky, because of all the options, education, and people here.

Man, this is getting way to long. Anyways, based on what I've heard (from your MySpace), you should be able to get in comfortably. But don't give my opinion much worth, as you never know (college admissions can be a crap shoot sometimes, even though I would bet that you would get in).

So, keep up the great writing, great guitar playing, and college searching, and maybe you'll end up at Hartt.

What do you think? What other places are you looking at?

-Dan

Thank you so much for your inputs. I appreciate it.

Can you maybe go into a little more detail on what the campus and surrounding area is like? Also, why did your friend leave? And what do you find appealing about Hartt?

Other schools that I've applied to: U of Maryland (accepted), U of Illinois (accepted), Penn State (accepted), Berklee (pending), Hartford of course (pending), James Madison (pending), Carnegie Mellon (pending). I'm applying as a composition major for all schools. Except for Berklee, my primary instrument will be violin.

My aspiration in composing is to be very flexible and varied in styles, while appreciating and incorporating all types of music into my compositions. I'd also like to do composition on a commercial/industry level. Oh, and ignore the classical compositions I have so far. They are terrible, but I'm learning and practicing.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
The campus isn't picture perfect, but there are some things to point out. There's nature to some degree in it (there's a river you cross on a bridge every day walking to class, which I find pretty cool), and it isn't a city scape. It's more built into a suburban area. The campus is dotted with dorms on one side, facilities (eg. food, community/gathering halls) in different spots, and then the academic buildings. The Hartt building is about a normal walk to class (not as far as the business school, but not as close as the Commons (a cafeteria). There is a new residence hall which I didn't want to apply to get into, but then found out that they get free laundry and wireless internet, whereas my dorm is renovated but built of concrete, so no wireless can really carry (we use ethernet cables). So, if you decide to go to Hartt, I would reccomend applying to Hawk Hall.

There is a large field in the middle of everything, which is great for sports (frisbee is really popular), or just walking. There is a sports bar (non-alcoholic) venue underneath the commons which hosts gigs and open mic nights. The athletic facilities serve the students well as well as the teams, and many of my friends work out there (if you're into that kind of activity).

The surrounding area is West Hartford, Hartford, and Bloomfield. Hartford has been a deteriorating city, but recently the efforts being made to revitalize it have been working--slowly. A haunting view is of a high school that borders some of the campus apartments, but it is separated by brush, railroad tracks, and two chain-link barbed wire fences. There is occaisionally crime on campus (which sometimes can be related to Hartford), but we have a very active Public Security department, sometimes too active for the heavy party-ers (hahah). West Hartford is my hometown, and there are periodic buses throughout the week that go to the mall, the arts store (for the artists), the Center (a new one is being built in the center of WeHa), etc. Bloomfield is a mix of suburbs with a tad more nature, but still it is mostly suburban, like WeHa.

My friend left because (and this is kinda private):
1.) The tuition is really high, and the scholarship he had (even though it was much more than other peoples') wasn't cutting it; 2.) the atmosphere of UHartford is really kinda party-like (as I said a bit before), especially on Th.-Sat. nights. But, that didn't seem to be a big bug of his. He preferred to not go to parties at all, out of choice and lack of desire. 3.) He also, although I must interject that there is nature here, didn't think there was enough that would make him enjoy it more.

But the really big reason is that he realized (like the rest of us), and this ties into the $$$ issue, too, that to get anywhere in composition, or most music, you have to have multiple degrees, in either composition or theory, or performance, etc. So, he reasoned that getting the undergrad over and done at a state school would be more cost effective, and that he would try his best to get a really good graduate school education at one of the better grad schools, instead of one of the better undergrads. I don't really agree with him..... But, sometimes college just isn't for some people-- some people transfer and are much happier, some go, and some don't go at all.

On to Hartt.

I find that the professors are all enthusiastic with their subjects--they are always fascinated or at least energetic about their teaching and work. I admit that I sometimes wish that I could stop hearing atonal music 100% of the time, because even though I enjoy it sometimes, and respect it and appreciate it 99% of the time, I am plagued with the constancy of its pervasiveness. So, to tell you the truth, I still have feelings of uncertainty about Hartt. That's why I've tried to list some pros and cons about Hartt. The music school itself is great, but I don't know if it is for everyone, as you have to take it with a grain of salt; it can be a bit too removed from the real world. By this I mean that at Hartt people compose generally for other composers, and not for other people outside. My query is, how do you connect with the outside--the people who will be the witnesses to your work? So, I still question, which is actually a very good thing to do. And one last thing--we have a facilities problem, (basically fighting for practice rooms and music stands), but that is avoidable if you know how to get around....

I gotta go (even though it's spring break and I'm home), but I'll keep posting-- peace!
Wow, that's some great insights. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. I haven't actually visited Hartford yet, but I will if I get accepted.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana