Drop K tuning.

Really dude?

I am a fan of C# - standard E tuned down 1.5 steps
I would recommend you use Drop C then... that's what you hear on a lot of modern metal bands' records...
it's Drop D one step down; get some higher than normal gauge strings though, or you'll be "rubber-banding" all over the place!
I love D standard. Makes songs in standard tuning sound heavier and lower tuning songs sound sharper, more defined. BTW use thicker strings, .10-.52's are amazing from D standard. I'd go heavier gauge but that would peal the skin off my fingers.
No one can TELL you what tuning to use. And there's no specific tuning for each genre. I've seen death metal and metalcore bands play in standard, while prog bands play in dropped A.

Just experiment and use whatever feels comfortable to you.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by HeXeL
I'd go heavier gauge but that would peal the skin off my fingers.

Whimp.

I use 11-52 and I tune to E standard!

TS, just use Drop C.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I've used 10-52's for about a year. I started with 9-42, then 10-52, then I went to C-standard an 12-60. And now I back with 10-52. I love C-standard, but none of my friends play in that tuning. It's all dropped D with them.... really all of them, dropped D.
A lot of Metalcore bands like August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, etc. use Drop C, so that could be a very good tuning for what youre looking for. D-standard and Drop B are also very nice.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by Doodleface
Whimp.

I use 11-52 and I tune to E standard!

lol, i used to play 12's in standard.
my floating bridge was flyyyyiiiiiiin' maaaaaaaan.
Tune every string to A
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Play in standard, and achieve heaviness through other means. OR come up with your own tuning and be unique.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Play in standard, and achieve heaviness through other means.
Agreed. Downtuning makes you think that you're a badass, even when you're not being creative.

(You want to be creative)
Quote by isaac_bandits
Play in standard, and achieve heaviness through other means. OR come up with your own tuning and be unique.

Just like Opeth. I think they only have one song in plain old dropped-D. The rest are in standard, or their open D minor tuning. And a couple of their songs even use a capo at the second fret.

And they're one of the heaviest bands I know.
Quote by travislausch
Just like Opeth. I think they only have one song in plain old dropped-D. The rest are in standard, or their open D minor tuning. And a couple of their songs even use a capo at the second fret.

They have a few songs in Drop-D, but even when the tune down, they don't use the increased heaviness of the downtuning to eliminate the need for creativity as so many of us do; their stuff is still complex and original.
Quote by travislausch

Exactly. Also lower notes start to invade the bassist's territory. Bassists already get buried in the mix all too much, theres no need to make it worse.

Another example of a band who is always in standard is Maiden. Pretty much all of Maiden's songs are standard, and they've got some awesome metal.

If you really want to go lower, get a seven string. Don't restrict your upper range. Soloing is as important as heavy riffing, and both are achieved well with standard.
Quote by isaac_bandits
If you really want to go lower, get a seven string. Don't restrict your upper range. Soloing is as important as heavy riffing, and both are achieved well with standard.

And you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for one. I got my Squier used for $300, and it's pretty awesome for a Squier.
Yeah, but I have no idea how to use a 7-string to my advantage. Same with Micheal Amott of Arch Enemy, he once said that he choose a lower tuning, rather than a 7-string. Also I know about the bassist, you can look at Mike D. from Killswitch Engage. His bass sounds really bad sometimes. But also look at Sharlee from Arch Enemy, he does very well for the tunig their in.
i use to play a lot of metalcore, but i recently got into playing/writing death metal music, and i've used drop c for the past year and a half, death metal is usually played in drop b/ C# standard..if you want to play in C its kind of challenging to get the heavy death metal sound out of that tuning starting out, but you'll eventually catch onto it
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270
Squire Stagemaster 7string

Amps
Randall Titan head
Randall XL cab with celestions

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Quote by archenemy_no.1
Yeah, but I have no idea how to use a 7-string to my advantage. Same with Micheal Amott of Arch Enemy, he once said that he choose a lower tuning, rather than a 7-string.

Are you serious? How well do you actually know your guitar? Do you actually have talent?
On a 6-string I do. Every time I sit down with a 7-string I have no idea where to go, because I have no riffs with a 7-string.
if u want a arch enemy style thing then u should use 2 steps down for that sound deathmetal etc , drop C is nice to and 1 step down
my equiptment
B.C rich platinum warlock
line 6 spider III 15w
epiphone sg special
Quote by archenemy_no.1
On a 6-string I do. Every time I sit down with a 7-string I have no idea where to go, because I have no riffs with a 7-string.

Well the six string riffs are easy to play on a seven string... Just ignore your lowest string. But then you can use the lowest string to get lower notes in any positions, which means two things. A larger range, with the bottom extended, and that you can play more notes without having to make a position shift.

Also, the tuning continues the pattern of fourths for the seventh string, so any powerchords can be moved there. If your used to Drop-D, you can drop the B string to A, which provides three advantages. 1. You can play open chords and leads as if you were in standard on a six, this is how most people learn (regardless of if you think you use Drop-D more). 2. You can play barred powerchords on the lowest three strings, just like in Drop-D. 3. You lose no upper range, but still get a larger bottom range.

If you get a seven string, I'm sure you'll be as comfortable with it as you would be with a six, after a week of use.
if you want to play death metal on a 7 string, just pull a Suicide Silence and drop it down to A#
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270

Amps
Randall Titan head

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
no, the bassist would just have to tune down to what the 4 lowest strings on the 7 string is tuned to basically, so the 4 strings on the bass would be tuned to B E A D
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270

Amps
Randall Titan head

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Quote by TJ Wise
no, the bassist would just have to tune down to what the 4 lowest strings on the 7 string is tuned to basically, so the 4 strings on the bass would be tuned to B E A D

Talk about loose strings, C-standard would be better.
yeah, the strings might be well and loose, it depends though, if the bassist knows what they're doing they should know how to put the strings on without them getting to be that loose that low....but since i dont play bass i really dont know how that would go...i just know how to tune them
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270

Amps
Randall Titan head

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
I'd think you'd need an arm extension before you could play a baritone bass.
What about baritone guitars? Do they feel the same as normal guitar, or can you really feel that it's longer? I know they sound low and that might be better for me than a 7-string.
Quote by archenemy_no.1
If I used a 7-string, wouldn't the bass have to be a 5-string? From low to high B, E, A, D, G?

The bassist could play a 5 string, or even a 6 string bass. 5 string basses are more common than 7 string guitars, so its not a huge issue.

If your bassist only has a four string, he can buy a set of 5 string strings, and only use the heaviest four and tune BEAD.