Would i be better off getting a roland cube or a tube amp with this effects unit?
Damien Rice === Legend
^^^ wrong
tube amps sound ****ty with digital modelling
get a decent solid state with a good clean tone and decent smooth distortion
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by druz15_UG
^^^ wrong
tube amps sound ****ty with digital modelling
get a decent solid state with a good clean tone and decent smooth distortion

You of course fail to realize how almost every modern tube amp has this nifty thing called an "effects loop" that you run your multi-effects through for reverb and delay, and chorus, flanging, and phasing if it is a series loop rather than parallel.

Congratulations on talking out of your ass.

And for the record I know two people with Fender Hot Rod Deluxes that run multi effects through the front for distortion and it sounds good (although I personally think they'd do better with the crunch channel and a good OD pedal).

**EDIT: I run a BOSS SE-50 rackmount unit through my Marshall for delay and reverb and it sucks absolutely NO tone whatsoever.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
get a tube amp... and throw the ME-50 out or pawn it off... or just use the effects loop... its your choice and your money and tastes... the decision is up to you not us on ug
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
well from personal experience, running boss multi effects units through tube amps sounds wrong, maybe its just me, but that's just me
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by druz15_UG
well from personal experience, running boss multi effects units through tube amps sounds wrong, maybe its just me, but that's just me

Do you even own a tube amp? From the looks of it you simply have a Crate...

And obviously if you don't do it right it'll sound like crap. That is, turn down the output to line level instead of full blast so there's no unintended breakup, and make sure the EQ is level to start with on the amplifier itself, and that it's on the clean channel if at all possible. Just little common sense things like that and it should sound just fine.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
^^^ no but i have used my GT8 through eseveral different tubes including an AC30 and a marshall. I did put it through the FX loop of one marshall, and while it did sound slightly better, i still believe that digital effects are wasted on tube amps, whereas they sound their best through solid states. IMO

EDIT: it sounded like absolute piss through the AC30
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by Mo Jiggity
You of course fail to realize how almost every modern tube amp has this nifty thing called an "effects loop" that you run your multi-effects through for reverb and delay, and chorus, flanging, and phasing if it is a series loop rather than parallel.

Congratulations on talking out of your ass.

And for the record I know two people with Fender Hot Rod Deluxes that run multi effects through the front for distortion and it sounds good (although I personally think they'd do better with the crunch channel and a good OD pedal).

**EDIT: I run a BOSS SE-50 rackmount unit through my Marshall for delay and reverb and it sucks absolutely NO tone whatsoever.

Eh. I used to use a Hot Rod and the ME 50... While it is okay for playing alone, when you get it involved in an whole band, it sounds like turd. I upgraded to a Rivera M60 head and Randall Warhead cab... nothing can compare to actual tube distortion.

TS, if you have the option, save up more for a better amp than using the ME50 through the Hot Rod... unless of course you're doing jazz or blues, then the Hot Rod owns.
I don't own the Boss ME 50, but i have a POD XTL and can now play through:

2 Solid State amps
1. Vox Da 20
2. Peavey Transtube 110 EFX

2 Tube amps
1. Valve Jr Combo
2. Valve Jr Head/Cab

Amps certainly aren't created equal rather they are Tube or SS and some just do things better then others. It's all subjective really, but you either like the tone or you don't. Some efx and models I like the Tubes for and some I like the SS's for. These are all under $300 amps so they're not going to give you the same thing as something more expensive. You need to try everything you can get your hands on in your price range. In my example the VJ combo comes in 1st which was a surprise since it's the cheapest of the bunch. But that's my taste. yours may differ.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD