I'm not really into heavy strings, and I hate using anything past 0.10's. Is .08 too light a gauge? I've never used them, and I'm wary, but it sounds like they would suit my needs. What's a good brand? And would it mess up my Strat's neck, which has .09 Fender Bullets? I usually play in Standard or half step down.

EDIT: Anyone know of any artists using .08's?
half step down will feel pretty floppy with 8's

and you might need to adjust the neck. swap one string at a time, if you choose to go with 8s
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Go with .9s. Half-step and maybe down to full step down will work with .9s, but i would only use .8s for open tunings myself.
wtf 08's is so light. i use 11 gauge strings and they're pretty light for me cause i got used to them
ok, i hate to sound like a dick here, but my little brother uses 11's and he's only 14, and he's pretty scrawny. there really is no advantage to using super light strings. The go out of tune when you fret chords, they break easily, they downgrade the tone. the only about them is that you can bend the **** out of them. why not just man up, and get some finger strength? i've broken so many 9's just on a simple bend, it's ridiculous and i'm a pretty weak guy.

so basically, yes 8's are too low. don't be a chump. at least get some 9's.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
thin strings sound thin and bright; i have a preference for warmer sounds, i play 12's. they won't stand up long to aggressive picking.

you will be able to have huge bends though.
Yea, a half step down would feel pretty iffy with .08's. You're also probably gonna want a set-up if you're switching gauge, although it might not matter if it's a pretty small change.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
The only guy I know of who uses .08s is Yngwie. He tunes down a half step too, and they seem to work out for him.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I'm not really into heavy strings, and I hate using anything past 0.10's. Is .08 too light a gauge? I've never used them, and I'm wary, but it sounds like they would suit my needs. What's a good brand? And would it mess up my Strat's neck, which has .09 Fender Bullets? I usually play in Standard or half step down.

EDIT: Anyone know of any artists using .08's?

It shan't mess up your neck if you adjust the truss rod properly to provide less bow.

Yngwie plays .08s if I remember as well.

Honestly I used to hate heavy gauges as well but you need to realize that they have their application. Playing with 13s for rhythm is so much more satisfying than with 9s, and they build finger strength. They also sound deeper.

**EDIT: Deth beat me to the Yngwie observation by 1 minute xD
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Yngwie is known to use focking .08s - .38 tuned a half step down.

i've used them on my shred guitars a few times...very thin sounding and a bitch to keep in tune if you want to go down a half step... but its all about personal preferance dude

try them out if they don't do it for you go upto .09s

cheers
You can't kill the metal
The metal will live on
Quote by AbstractDeth7X
The only guy I know of who uses .08s is Yngwie. He tunes down a half step too, and they seem to work out for him.

yeah cause his guitar/setup is stock.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by TUMFP
GibsonSG Look at the two posts, RIGHT ABOVE YOURS

LOOK AT THE TIME ON BOTH POSTS, ONE MINUTE APART. MAYBE THAT POST WAS NOT THERE WHEN HE CLICKED REPLY.

Asshole.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
dude stick to 9s... yngwie probably has to change strings every 4-5 days with 8s
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by Mo Jiggity
LOOK AT THE TIME ON BOTH POSTS, ONE MINUTE APART. MAYBE THAT POST WAS NOT THERE WHEN HE CLICKED REPLY.

Asshole.

Lol, thank you for defending me, because I did not see those posts above mine.
Quote by Mo Jiggity

Asshole.

Lol, thank you for defending me, because I did not see those posts above mine.

EDIT: Thank you TUMFP, I did not realize one person could be so helpful.
I use 8's and they have plenty of beef. Not sure about the downtuning, I only play in standard. You can do a lot of things that are much more difficult with heavier strings. Been using them since the 1970's.
Devin Townsend used 8's back in the 80's if you are looking for more artists to add to the list. He uses 10's now - he says that he broke too many 8's and 9's and that the pitch doesn't translate well when you start playing in bigger venues.

Personally I use 11-54's but I'm tuned down a step and I need strings that will hold tunning better and not be all floppy when I'm playing.

Go with at least 9's if not 10's!
sg don't worry, people who are used to posting know you didnt see the other posts.

we just ignore haters. anyway, if you want the 8's go for it, but u will probably pick up some fret buzz.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Mo Jiggity

Asshole.

I do apologize, I did not look at the time. Sorry, I will remove the other post as it has no relevance and is a waste of space.

Like said sorry, I did not look. My bad.
Quote by jj1565
sg don't worry, people who are used to posting know you didnt see the other posts.

we just ignore haters. anyway, if you want the 8's go for it, but u will probably pick up some fret buzz.

Hmmm, fret buzz, eh? I was also contemplating putting Schaller Locking tuners and putting extra screws in the bridge...would that help my tuning stability at all?
hmm extra screws in the bridge? (extra springs?)

not sure what you mean. a balanced bridge and good stringing technique will help with tuning.

raising strings, and swapping one string at a time, can help prevent / take care of buzz.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i just dont get how anyone could play with strings lighter than 9s... well honestly dude i say go for it. if you like it thats great, if not switch back to 9s. no harm done
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by jj1565
hmm extra screws in the bridge? (extra springs?)

not sure what you mean. a balanced bridge and good stringing technique will help with tuning.

raising strings, and swapping one string at a time, can help prevent / take care of buzz.

Wow, I'm out of it, yeah I meant springs. I usually swap strings one at a time anyways.
Wow that must be damn light. I have 9s on my electric, which is light. But 13s on my main axes. Although the one with the 9s is one of my main axes as well.
8's are incredibly light

Honestly I would try and get used to playing 9's, you'll lose quite a bit of bass response on the low strings on a set of 8's.
.08's are way too light for me... i use .13's and i put together a custom set of .17's sometimes...
if 8's too light for your style, try EB hybrid slinky or super slinky (both 9's)
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks