So obviously this is common, but would scalloping my Fender Strat's neck get rid of the hand rolled edges? And would scalloping remove the laquer on the fretboard, because I'm in love with it.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
So obviously this is common, but would scalloping my Fender Strat's neck get rid of the hand rolled edges? And would scalloping remove the laquer on the fretboard, because I'm in love with it.

...do you even kno what scalloping is?
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
ok its when u sand/chisle/cut away the fretboard in between the frets so all the strings touch are the frets and ur fingers...its prety kool when u get it done so it looks kinda like a ton o us...UUUUUUU get it?
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by albinokrikit
ok its when u sand/chisle/cut away the fretboard in between the frets so all the strings touch are the frets and ur fingers...its prety kool when u get it done so it looks kinda like a ton o us...UUUUUUU get it?

Wow, I actually knew all of that. Thank you. Do you even understand the concern in my question? Why would I make a post on scalloping if I didn't know what it was? I did not ask what scalloping was; I asked if it would damage the hand rolled edges of the neck, which seems like a legitimate question which has yet to receive an answer.
i am not sure what you mean by hand-rolled edges? and yes it would remove the laquer from the fingerboard. scallopping is difficult, and takes a long time to do. ive done a few, and i must say it is a huge pain in the ass. i learned on a few cadaver necks i have laying around, and i ruined one, haha. but its expensive to have done. its done with a kumagora, or a fretslotting saw, and a dremmel or something along those lines. you will need multiple sized bits if you are doing the whole board.
Quote by LP Addict
i am not sure what you mean by hand-rolled edges? and yes it would remove the laquer from the fingerboard. scallopping is difficult, and takes a long time to do. ive done a few, and i must say it is a huge pain in the ass. i learned on a few cadaver necks i have laying around, and i ruined one, haha. but its expensive to have done. its done with a kumagora, or a fretslotting saw, and a dremmel or something along those lines. you will need multiple sized bits if you are doing the whole board.

Hand rolled edges are like just smoothed down along the fretboard to give it a more worn in, comfortable feel. I saw this ad on ebay that advertised for a fretboard scalloping business, but I'm wary of that. How much do you think it would run me to get it done by a luthier?
im pretty sure that it would ruin the rolled edges.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
well, thats a luthier-prefrence thing. if someone really despises the job, 400-500. if someone sorta enjoys it, 200-300. you rn the risk of ruining your fingerboard too, its not an easy task. You could buy a scalloped neck, brand new, fo 200-300 on ebay or from warmoth.

and yes, the rolled over edes would be ruined, but they are nothing special, its done with 220 grit sandpaper and about 2 minutes spare time before they lacquer sprayed it. and depending upon the strat, its probably polyurethane on the fingerboard.