Yeah I saw their kit. I figure since i have all the parts except the tube, i'll just buy a 12au7 from a local electronics store and an enclosure. Their price of 135 is a little too steep for me. Its probably that expensive because of the time it takes to paint and drill the enclosures and to make the pcb. This'll be done over spring break (1 more day of school till break for me) so time will not be an issue.
also, it says to adjust the bias on the tube by changing VR1 and VR3, however I can't find these on the schematic. anyone know where these two are supposed to go?
Im thinking they labeled it wrong and in the schematic they are named TR1 and TR2. can anyone confirm?
and the first part of their notes doesnt make sense. If the power supply is 12 volts, vcc should be 6 volts right? and the bias set at 6 volts. In the notes they say Vcc is 12 volts and the bias is half, at 6. That would require a Vin of 24 volts. Is the schematic not matching up with the notes, or am i just stupid. To me, the schematic looks good and the notes look messed up.
Quote by Fish_er_guy
I'm thinking about making a half watt amp based on the ruby, except this one uses a tube preamp instead of a transistor. The op amp is a 386. Do you guys think that the preamp tube will have any positive effects on a half watt amp, (besides looking awesome)?

heres a link to the schematic

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/TubeCricket/TubeCricket_Final_2008.gif

Yeah, I think it will be positively crappy. I've never heard a tube circuit running with 12volts for the plate supply that sounded good. Never. But of course, ymmv.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
then again you've probably never heard a 1/2 watt amp with a tube. i know its not gonna sound GREAT. but for $40-50 theres not much too lose, and the worst thing that can happen is i'll have to replace the tube with a transistor and do some rewiring for a loss of around $15 and end up with a all SS 1/2 watt amp. but considering that website is putting out kits for $135, i have some confidence that it'll sound decent.
I'm going to have to agree with SYK on that one. doesnt make much sense to me.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
i know tubes and transistors cant be switched straight out, but it can be disassembled and rewired into the ruby 1/2 watt amp fairly easily. And i've already located a radio electronics store that does sell tubes, including the 12au7. Ive decided im gonna just go ahead and build it, and i'll tell you guys when im finished if theres any improvement in sound.
cool, sounds good. im interested/
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
sweet, if u happen to finish it before I do, plz tell me how it sounds. btw, what speaker are u gonna use with it?
Ok, so i built the amp. the tube gets warm, but never actually glows. nevertheless, the amp does sound considerably better than the ruby, and amazingly louder. the distortion is tighter and better in my opinion. i did have to change the gain pot from1k to 10k, as the 1k gave way too much gain and i couldnt get a clean sound from it. however, there is very little clean headroom in this amp. overall, a pretty sweet little amp.
now replace the silly opamp power amp with a 12au7 as a power amp and it will sound even more kick ass
Quote by 1337void
now replace the silly opamp power amp with a 12au7 as a power amp and it will sound even more kick ass

Won't work off 12V
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
hehe that would be awesome, an all tube half watt amp. probably be more than half a watt tho by the time its done. in any case, the tube preamp/opamp is way louder than i expected. i ran it though a 30 year old 2X12 cabinet and it seems like its way more than half a watt. i had a vox DA5 and this amp is louder than the DA5 on half watt mode.
ok so theres a few problems that im having with the amp. theres a high pitched buzzing and also a tremolo sounding effect when notes are played when the gain or volume is more than 1/4 up. if it makes any difference, the higher the volume/gain, the louder the buzzing and the tremolo becomes more distinct and spaced out. anyone have any ideas how to fix this.
Gear
-Fender American Stratt
-Tube Cricket
-Homemade 20 Watt Tube (pics+clips soon)
-MXR Stereo Chorus
-Holy Grail Reverb

Theres no sensation to compare with this, suspended animation, a state of bliss...