Quote by Tenkuu
I got a ESP LTD PB-500 http://www.carlinoguitars.com/images/IMG_0022esp_2_pb500body_2_full.jpg

I am adding a EMG 85 pickup in the back b/c I dont got enough money for the other EMG. I was thinking of buying emg 81 and mixing or other pickup.......any advice or anything?

It's fine to use another pickup with the 85 as long as it too is active.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Well you can't use a passive with an active simultaneously, but you could use them on their own (i.e. bridge by itself, neck by itself), but not together. Keep that in mind when mixing and matching pups.
Thanks. I put in a 85 for my neck and a 89 for bridge. Sounds fat...........the sound.........any ideas what I should do to make it cleaner? Thinner like for playing some krabitz (Lenny krabitz) songs like always on the run?
EMGs are meant to sound fat, especially the 85. If you're running on the 89 in the bridge, try coil tapping it and using the single coil instead.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
EMGs are meant to sound fat, especially the 85. If you're running on the 89 in the bridge, try coil tapping it and using the single coil instead.

Would you please explain what you mean? I might buy a 81 later on and add it. I love the sustain in emg's its so beautiful and long! ut i like clkear thing sounds and emg's have fat ones.
you should just wait and get another EMG.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Tenkuu
Would you please explain what you mean? I might buy a 81 later on and add it. I love the sustain in emg's its so beautiful and long! ut i like clkear thing sounds and emg's have fat ones.

The 81 will sound a little crunchier and brighter than the 89. As you have it right now, with the 85 neck and 89 bridge, you essentially have two 85s when you're in full humbucker mode (the 89 is a stacked SA/85).
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
The 81 will sound a little crunchier and brighter than the 89. As you have it right now, with the 85 neck and 89 bridge, you essentially have two 85s when you're in full humbucker mode (the 89 is a stacked SA/85).

Thank you. So you recommend I get a 81? Will the sound be cleaner? thinner? I actually was thinking going back to cheapo factory pickups, but after I started playing "Round and round," by Ratt, I loved the sound it exerted. I still don't like the fat tone in it. Would a 81 really help?
Waitwaitwait hold on here. You've got a PB-500. Why would you put EMG's in that? It may be an ESP, but it's not a metal guitar. For christ's sake, it has Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups. Ever hear of Slash?

What amp are you using, and what kind of sound are you trying to get?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Thanks and sorry. I need help with good Duncans for my guitar then.