what kind of pedals and **** do i need to get that bad ass megadeth, metallica, and pantera tone
First you need a high-gain, all-valve amp.
Then a guitar with humbuckers, for Metallica preferably active EMGs.
Then you could use an overdrive or distortion pedal to push your amp.

Tone goes in that order, mate.

And don't ask questions like this here. Use the relevant forums.
Get a nice solid state amp. Don't listen to all the garbage about valve/tube amps - Dimebag Darrell used Randall RG100's and Randall Warheads and his tone was more brutal than most of the metal guitarists out there.

Second get something with humbuckers - single coils suck.

Get a pedal ONLY if you feel that you need one.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Get a nice solid state amp. Don't listen to all the garbage about valve/tube amps - Dimebag Darrell used Randall RG100's and Randall Warheads and his tone was more brutal than most of the metal guitarists out there.

Dimebag Darrel also ran his signal through A LOT of rack mount gear which is expensive.
And converted to tube amps before he died. Take the advice of the other guy. Get a good amp, a good guitar and maybe a few toys and effects and go for it.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Single coils don't suck, you're just a narrow-minded dumbass
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke