Page 1 of 3
Hi Pit,

Ive noticed that alot of you love abusing the power of the apostrophe. You put apostrophe's were they dont' belong at all. <== See, thats one of the proper uses of the apostrophe in "dont'." Saying "apostrophe's" isnt appropriate. This is because in this context, "apostrophe" is possessive, meaning it does' fucking own anything.

Saying "Judys' car" is perfect example of proper use of the apostrophe because the car belong's to Judy, but saying "Mike had three guitars" is not appropriate because "guitar" doesn't have anything that belongs to it.

Then you have words like "ca'nt," "w'ont," etc... that are contraction's.

Kindly stop abusing the apostrophe.

Sincerely,

Gandalf the Tan.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
ok.

EDIT:
Wait a second. Where's Saruman?
Last edited by Spitz13 at Mar 20, 2008,
You forget to mention when people misuse your/you're and their/there/they're. That's even worse than the apostrophe offense.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Ummm...Its the internet. Like people who use the words uber and lolz care where they use this little devil ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '
Quote by mattvl
Listen to this guy, he's australian. If there are any people out there who know how to handle women it's australians.
heil grammer!
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
what's he on about''''?
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by metal4life592
You forget to mention when people misuse your/you're and their/there/they're. That's even worse than the apostrophe offense.

That's another lesson, don't overwhelm them with too much knowledge at once!

Knowledge = power, give them too much and they'll go power mad!
Quote by freedoms_stain
That's another lesson, don't overwhelm them with too much knowledge at once!

Knowledge = power, give them too much and they'll go power mad!

Well I thought about going into even more detail with the apostrophe, like the correct usage with it's/its, but I decided not to.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
I' d'o'nt' r'e'a'l'l'y' c'a'r'e'
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
From what I've seen, the apostrophe is under used. Not over used.
Like "So shes my sister". Or "My guitars a gay squier"
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Våd Hamster
Toys R' Us.

Where is your God now?

I have actually seen major commercial organizations misuse the apostrophe in their advertisements. Some of them leave me appalled that their media teams can't even use proper grammar.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I' d'o'nt' r'e'a'l'l'y' c'a'r'e'

o rly leik rly rly frum the botam of ur hart
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
o rly leik rly rly frum the botam of ur hart

No.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
i notice this grammar error's all the times, but i dont complain because its just go to show that their stupid and whatever they're saying can safely be disregarded
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Våd Hamster
Toys R' Us.

You're bringing up an organization that uses a backwards R in its logo for a grammatical discussion?

Anyway, I wish to offer my deepest gratitude to Gandalf the Tan for bringing this urgent issue to the general populace's attention with his exemplary public service announcement. I would like to see a follow-up regarding use and misuse of their/there/they're, your/you're, to/too/two, course/coarse, and other homophones.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i notice this grammar error's all the times, but i dont complain because its just go to show that their stupid and whatever they're saying can safely be disregarded

*facepalm*

....I have... failed.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Mar 20, 2008,

People trying to use proper grammer but failing is even worse than people not even trying.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by darkstar2466
I have actually seen major commercial organizations misuse the apostrophe in their advertisements. Some of them leave me appalled that their media teams can't even use proper grammar.

Tell me about it.
Quote by darkstar2466
*facepalm*

....I have... failed.

Keep fighting. Courage is shown by the way you handle yourself in your darkest hours. Now, more than ever, you have to be strong and push forward. The rest of the grammar enthusiast community is behind you.

God loves you, Gandalf the Tan, and so do I. Do not despair. Do not give up.

FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!
Quote by Quintessence153
Anyway, I wish to offer my deepest gratitude to Gandalf the Tan for bringing this urgent issue to the general populace's attention with his exemplary public service announcement. I would like to see a follow-up regarding use and misuse of their/there/they're, your/you're, to/too/two, course/coarse, and other homophones.

My intention of bringing up this topic is not to try to fix people's grammar for my sake, but for the sake of the perseverance of grammatical propriety. Misusing a simple thing like the apostrophe can become a recurring habit, so recurring that it becomes instinctual to say car's, guitar's, and waterbottle's.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
My intention of bringing up this topic is not to try to fix people's grammar for my sake, but for the sake of the perseverance of grammatical propriety. Misusing a simple thing like the apostrophe can become a recurring habit, so recurring that it becomes instinctual to say car's, guitar's, and waterbottle's.

Of course. I, too, am concerned about the propriety and integrity of the English language, and I apologize for any statements that may have lead one to believe otherwise.
Quote by aaron6890
what about when putting quotes within a quote

I.E. mike said, "she said 'i love you', but i dont think she ment it".

is that an acceptable use?

Yes, that's the correct way to use it in that situation.
Quote by Trefellin

LastFM
Quote by metal4life592
Yes, that's the correct way to use it in that situation.

It'd have been even better if he put an apostrophe in the word "don't".
If the name ends in an "s" the apostrophe follows. See example:

Samus' gun was large.
Quote by aaron6890
i perfer to use the other form of the genative case when refering to weapons, thus it would say, The gun of samus was large.

Also acceptable. In fact, I would suggest using your way when writing essays.
Quote by aaron6890
i perfer to use the other form of the genative case when refering to weapons, thus it would say, The gun of samus was large.

That's passive language and sounds bad.

Quote by Quintessence153
Of course. I, too, am concerned about the propriety and integrity of the English language, and I apologize for any statements that may have lead one to believe otherwise.

I am just concerned that hundreds of years of literary perfection will be ruined in one sweep by the internet generation.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
That's passive language and sounds bad.

I am just concerned that hundreds of years of literary perfection will be ruined in one sweep by the internet generation.

I can has spellchekurz. lulz
Amen. As well as using the wrong two/too/to. It's not that hard. I could do it at the age of six, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

(Note the correct use of the apostrophe and the correct two/too/to in the above statement)
I dont wann'a.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Page 1 of 3