Well my birthday is coming up and ive decided to get an acoustic guitar b/c i want to widen my range of playing. right now i have a ****y acoustic i bought for like 70 bucks, ive been playing electric for a while now but i think its finally time to upgrade my acoustic. I play stuff like over the hills and far away and dust in the wind. i really dont know where to start, I would like it between the 400-500$ range, and im not sure whether i should get acoustic electric or not, i do some home recording and may start gigging soon.

so thanks in advance. and i hope i can find the best guitar
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
I would advise to not get an acoustic electric because you will end up paying for the electronics and not the wood. I suggest art and lutherie, simon and patrick, and seagull for your price range. If you want and acoustic that sounds great for recording then I would suggest something like the art and lutherie folk which sounds great fingerpicked, flatpicked, and strummed. If you want something to wail on I would go with a dreadnought and later put in a k&k pure western mini pickup. If you go for an art and lutherie you will be able to get both for your budget and may have some extra for a k&k preamp which is not a necessity but more of a nice thing to have.
i was also thinking about a single cutaway, being used to electric guitar i would prefer a cutaway for that extra access, but is that ever necessary in an acoustic do acoustic songs have them. is that something to consider?
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
I really wouldn't worry about a cutaway. Most acoustic songs don't go down there and if you are going to be using those extra frets you might as well be playing your electric. If I was you I would just go to a bunch of guitar stores and find the most comfortable guitar you can get. Keep in mind that Dreadnoughts and Jumbos are usually the least comfortable. I like 000, OM, and guitars that are smaller then that more then dreads but some people actually like the feel of a dread. Don't just get a guitar though because it is popular, get it because you like it.
what im getting is going to have to be from guitar center, b/c its the only close guitar store. what are some specific models that anyone can recommend
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
I got a Yamaha FG 750s from Guitar Center several months ago, very nice guitar.

seagull S6

epiphone masterbuilt aj500/dr500

not real familar with Parkwood, messed around with one once.

Takamine G series were nice as well.

have fun playing.
Last edited by pharm30 at Mar 22, 2008,
Parkwood is a nice guitar

Epiphone Masterbilt series

Take a hard look at Blueridge guitars. You can get them quite a bit cheaper on e-bay.