Newbie tried searching but

New guy here... just now getting into elect. guitar. stats below...
I'm new to guitar and forums and posting photos
I have MIM Strat in HSS config black with white pups and parts
I've been searching SeymourDuncan dot com and Fender dot com and may now have found my ulimate guitar site....(no plug there necessarily)

Question is: What is the best way to Black this Strat out? I can't find any HSS black out kits.

1.) New HB pickup (SH15 or EVO) and black out the rest was my first guess
....due to complexity and the fact that it sounds good now i'm not sure that is answer...
2.) Painting HB cover black - not recommended based on what i've read
3.) Find Fendor HB in black and solder on...not sure how to do
4.) Find shop that will do this for me

Thoughts.....? Much appreciated.

Again, I think my sound and tone is fine i just want the blacked out look. I'm afraid if I put new HB's in my HSS that the SCoils will get drowned. So, any thougts on Mexican HBs vs. something else?

I like fat heavy distorted just as much as clean strat sounds BTW
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 8, 2011,
any thoughts on what to do?

anyone have any experience with the new Duncan Alt 8 SH15s? would they be too loud? i don't need more volume i'm just looking for more meat or fat in sound and don't want to have to replace single coils too.

anyone else out there that has a MIM HSS Strat that has done this or is looking to do something similar? please....tnx !!!
well you will need to either get all new black pickups, or something like this

http://store.guitarfetish.com/hueqhssblpra.html
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
you can get pickup covers for the single coils (like this)
as for the 'bucker, the easiest and best thing to do is get a new pickup. soldering it on isnt very hard, especially if you worked with a soldering iron before. basicly you can just take off the old wires and put the new ones exactly were they were before. if want to do this, let us know and we can help you find something that fits your style and your budget.
Yes, thanks guys you are tracking with me.

InanezGuitars44 - that is the look I am going for. I'll have to do some research on GFS pups because i am not familiar with them (or any of this honestly). Seems that it would reduce my soldering fears (exept maybe the ground right?) and the SCs are probably matched for that HB.

jof1029 - thanks for your thoughts as well. Yes the SC covers are much easier to find. I guess there is no such thing as a cover the HB, it seems to all be one unit. I have never used a soldering iron before but could probably learn. I just hate to F something up.

I guess I'm most concerned about getting a new HB and then it not pairing right with the 2 SCs. I'll do some more poking around. This site is HUGE!

Any recommendations on a good HB replacement for Strat HSS.

I also want a Floyd style wammy bar for my stock fender bridge.

tnx
you've NEVER used a soldering iron

I'm 16 and I've probably used one about 20 times or more
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I also want a Floyd style wammy bar for my stock fender bridge.

If you just want a bar without a tip, use a pair of pliars and pull the tip off the existing bar. If you want a Floyd Rose Trem system on your guitar...*shiver.
Quote by danyellenik
you've NEVER used a soldering iron

I'm 16 and I've probably used one about 20 times or more

yeah i'm sure everyone you know at school uses a soldering iron on a regular basis right?

/sarcasm
tnx mrmarc772 - i wasn't going to bother to reply to that one

ya, sorry guys - when i got out of college i landed with a fortune 5 company making six figures+ and i guess i missed the boat because i never learned how to solder
dont worry, soldering isnt too hard if you want to give it a shot. you can get everything you need for under $20 from someplace like radioshack. you just need a soldering iron, some solder, and some wire to practice on. there are plenty of guides on the internet if you want to learn. if not, well then i guess you will miss out on the joys of soldering iron burns

as for the guitar fetish pickups, im sure they are ok, but i dont know how much of an improvement they would be. they are cheap though, so if that is a big criteria then that may be the way to go. if you want to go with a new 'bucker, then i would suggest something with a moderate output. anything with a high output may overpower the single coils. a PAF style pickups would probably work well, its a classic humbucker sound that is warm and vintagey.
HERE

This is the same shop I got my lace sensors from. It's only 2 wires you got to solder on the input jack and another one on the back claw. You can't really screw it up. Sounds like a dream. I think they got EMGs too if that's what you're looking for.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
Last edited by omghi2u at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
tnx mrmarc772 - i wasn't going to bother to reply to that one

ya, sorry guys - when i got out of college i landed with a fortune 5 company making six figures+ and i guess i missed the boat because i never learned how to solder

im sorry, but..............PWNT!
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣