So ive heard that avatar cabs are nothing short of amazing. Im going to get a 4x10 in the near future and its near the top of my list with the ampeg svt 410hfl (used). My amp is an ampeg v4bh which is 100 watts all tube. The only thing that worries me about the avatar is that it has around 1000 watts power handling and most of the time my stage volume isnt terribly loud. Will I be able to get good tone without cranking my amp up or will it just burp out.
1000 watts peaking power or actually 1000 watts?
Also, i've heard good things about your current amp, is it just not loud enough?
its rated 1000 watts RMS. I love my v4bh and its LOUD, but our sound guy is anal about stage volume so I have to turn down so I dont project into the venue to much... he likes total control haha. The v4bh has really deep warm tone and my current cab doesnt do it justice. Its great for all styles except really modern hifi slapping. It does have a great old school slap tone though. It really shines at straight forward rock and jazz. It has a decent break up as well.
the 1000 watt rms is just what it can handle. you don't have to worry about it. to get a pushed tube amp sound you push the amp not the speakers. you'll jsut have tons and tons of headroom on the cab that's all. It's overkill but if it sounds good that's waht matters. they only make them because of solid state amps that go to and above 1000 watts.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
The only time a cabinet is too powerful for a head is when a head is not powerful at all. That is - you have to crank the head to full. Cranking a head to full causes a lot of high-end frequency distortion that makes the voice coils heat up big time, and this can burn the speakers. People think "nah, my 1000W speakers can handle my measily 25W amp on full!" so it blows!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by esposito123
So ive heard that avatar cabs are nothing short of amazing. Im going to get a 4x10 in the near future and its near the top of my list with the ampeg svt 410hfl (used). My amp is an ampeg v4bh which is 100 watts all tube. The only thing that worries me about the avatar is that it has around 1000 watts power handling and most of the time my stage volume isnt terribly loud. Will I be able to get good tone without cranking my amp up or will it just burp out.

Speakers are 90% of the importance. Look at the sensitivity ratio, this is what enable a speaker to be "loud"
TS - I wouldn't buy the cab if I were you. You can in fact blow your speakers by under powering them.

What happens, is the speaker magnet gets stuck in only a partially open (for lack of a better word) position, and vibrates there, which means it isn't using the speaker cone to it's fullest, which slowly cause the speaker cone to rip, because of the magnet not being able to move it's full distance.

And with your amp putting out at only a tenth of the cabs RMS, you're definitely going to do damage.
Quote by elemenohpee

And with your amp putting out at only a tenth of the cabs RMS, you're definitely going to do damage.

but at the same time, can you really justify that 100w tube=100w solid state?

i think not

i'll def. agree that underpowering is a problem...but with a head like that?
Quote by xCROSSFIREx
but at the same time, can you really justify that 100w tube=100w solid state?

i think not

i'll def. agree that underpowering is a problem...but with a head like that?

Yes I can justify that 100w tube does equal 100w SS, they're both 100 watts and are equal (unless they are different watt classes but lets not go there.) A tube amp MIGHT sound louder than a SS, but they are still the same volume.

And yes, even with a head like that. Hell, even my SWR 550X which is 500watts would be under powering for that cab.