im just now getting into blues
and i was wondering if there were any good modern bands that play blues jazz etc
could someone help me out with out being a smart ass
I would recommend Stevie Ray Vaughan, he's not exactly modern but he's amazingly talented. Hendrix is good too.
Quote by JackFlash19
first!

failure!

I would recommend John Mayer's blues stuff and I second Stevie Ray Vaughan. Some people would disagree, but they're all a bunch of losers.
<Han> I love Hitler
Look at Johnny Lang and The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band. They're pretty good if you're looking in the realm of modern Blues.
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
Quote by amaqqut
I would recommend Stevie Ray Vaughan, he's not exactly modern but he's amazingly talented. Hendrix is good too.

ftw
John Mayer Trio does some good stuff, definatley one of my favourites. Some Norah Jones is very bluesy/jazzy. Eric Clapton's unplugged album, the first blues album I heard and still love it. White Stripes have some very bluesy tunes, check out "Icky Thump" & "Elephant"
not really modern but
gary moore, buddy guy, allman brothers.
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Quote by Bluesman_22
John Mayer Trio does some good stuff, definatley one of my favourites. Some Norah Jones is very bluesy/jazzy. Eric Clapton's unplugged album, the first blues album I heard and still love it. White Stripes have some very bluesy tunes, check out "Icky Thump" & "Elephant"

yes to the white stripes, but i would check out some stuff from either "White Blood Cells" or their self-titled album.

Jimmy the Exploder has got to have the most orgasmic guitar riff youll ever hear.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Meh Modern blues kinda sucks...

I'd suggest listening to the Masters of blues...

John Lee Hooker
Muddy Waters
Johnny Winter
Howlin' Wolf
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Mississippi John Hurt
and of course, Robert Johnson
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by Mav-16
Meh Modern blues kinda sucks...

I'd suggest listening to the Masters of blues...

John Lee Hooker
Muddy Waters
Johnny Winter
Howlin' Wolf
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Mississippi John Hurt
and of course, Robert Johnson

+1

Also throw in some Hendrix, Clapton, Derek Truck, Joe Perry... even some old funk players like Curtis Mayfield and Don Covay.

Blues, jazz, and funk are all closely related - they all have their roots in the old African rhythm stuff that was brought over during the periods of slavery.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Mar 20, 2008,
Quote by SilenceIsGolden
I think Jimmy Page deserves a mention.

Well if we are going that route then we might as well throw in Tony Iommi, Zakk Wylde, Slash, etc. etc. cuz they all have elements of blues in their playing styles.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well if we are going that route then we might as well throw in Tony Iommi, Zakk Wylde, Slash, etc. etc. cuz they all have elements of blues in their playing styles.

seriously,

Jimmy Page was Blues-Rock or Hard Rock

those bands may have blues influences, but ask any blues black man.... they are NOT the Blues....
Quote by Mav-16
seriously,

Jimmy Page was Blues-Rock or Hard Rock

those bands may have blues influences, but ask any blues black man.... they are NOT the Blues....

Blues black men don't consider Jimmy Page the blues, either.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Blues black men don't consider Jimmy Page the blues, either.

Yeah, that's exactly my point....