Sorry but there is absolutely no one in the bandleading forum so to make it related to the bass forum, I might start a punk band with a drummer and guitarist I know. I would be the bass and we would have to find a singer. I was just wondering if we would have a lot of trouble finding gigs because people say that punk is dead. Is that true?
Is this a question about bass or punk?

There's some great modern punk bass. I probably rave about DFA1979 too much, but they were just amazing.
I play bass and sometimes guitar in a punk band. Punk is dead if you think it is. It was just a stupid saying for people who thought it became too mediocre and commercialized.
Our band, however, strives to be non-mediocre and original, but still rooted in punk. If you can believe that.
Quote by smb

Sorry if this doesn't relate much to the bass forum because there is no one in the bandleading forum right now. It's just hard to decide what genre to be. My drummer likes pop punk stuff like blink-182 and flyleaf, etc. My guitarist likes classic rock most rock in general. I like funk-rock like rhcp, punk, and classic rock.
If it's a question about bandleading it goes in that forum regardless of how quick you want an answer. If you want to talk about punk bass techniques or tone then this is the place.
Well, if I am in a punk band, I wanted to do something other than play root notes. I know that Anti-flag doesn't do this and probably many others but is there any particular scale to pay attention to when making my basslines?
minor and major pentatonic scales are a favourite among punk bands, mostly minor though. at the end of the day you just gotta apply your knowledge of bass to the job in hand and find what works. theres nothing saying a locrian mode and m7b5 chords can't be used in punk
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
To the TS--several things:

If you wish to keep on talking about punk bass playing, then I am happy to leave this thread here. If not, I'll forklift it to the correct forum as smb has stated. Just because you aren't getting an answer there, you can't post here.

On punk bass playing. First rule is: there are no rules. That's what punk was all about. That is why you have players that go from Dee Dee Ramone to someone like Klaus Fluoride to JJ. Burnell. It should drive, it should grind like pneumatic drills. Energy and attitude. Its all about DIY. Like the old advert in Punk Magazine said: "Heres one chord, here's another, and there's a third. Now start a band".

On playing punk: if you are concerned about the economic feasibility and getting gigs, find another genre, punk is not for you. And not for the reasons you may think. I'll just leave it at that for now.
Woo, yeah, I definitely learned punk wasn't dead last weekend, haha. Uhm, really, with a punk band, you are more likely to improv in fills and what not then plan them out, all depending on the feel. Punk is very much a thrashy style almost, and most people won't care if you mess up or play a line which didn't sound right or fit, as long as you make yourself have attitude. So, go ahead, and basically do what you want, XD.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
The punk bass = root notes thing is definitely a myth. Even bands like Green Day, the epitome of pop-punk mediocrity have some decent basslines. For a typical punk attitude to scales and modes listen to the Black Flag album Slip It In - the solos are literally just Greg Ginn playing random notes which he justified saying it was "jazz influenced". It's not a genre about knowing the rules.
Quote by ccmetz2020
I was just wondering if we would have a lot of trouble finding gigs because people say that punk is dead. Is that true?

I play bass in a punk band and we have plenty of gigs around UK in the next few months and a European tour booked aswell
i play un a punk band
i do lots of feels with minor scale(i thing thats the name)
as you can see i am no even sure of what scales i use but it works perfectly fine
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by ccmetz2020
Sorry but there is absolutely no one in the bandleading forum so to make it related to the bass forum, I might start a punk band with a drummer and guitarist I know. I would be the bass and we would have to find a singer. I was just wondering if we would have a lot of trouble finding gigs because people say that punk is dead. Is that true?

Just because good music is out of fashoin doesn't mean you can't play it, i say go for it!
Quote by smb

There's some great modern punk bass. I probably rave about DFA1979 too much, but they were just amazing.

DFA freaking owns
im acually listening to them right now
They were so much better live than on the album though. I was actually really disappointed when I got the album, but I got into it eventually.
Quote by smb
They were so much better live than on the album though. I was actually really disappointed when I got the album, but I got into it eventually.

i wasn't fortunate enough to see them live before they split
Quote by ccmetz2020
Sorry if this doesn't relate much to the bass forum because there is no one in the bandleading forum right now. It's just hard to decide what genre to be. My drummer likes pop punk stuff like blink-182 and flyleaf, etc. My guitarist likes classic rock most rock in general. I like funk-rock like rhcp, punk, and classic rock.

Flyleaf are pop punk? Are you sure you've been listening to the same band I have?

Anyways, screw deciding a genre. Just take all your influences and mould them together into something beatiful. One of my current projects has an Indie singer, a rock and roll guitarist, a hard rock guitarist, a lazy ass drummer and, well... me. It's eclectic, and it rocks being able to merge everything together into some huge music machine.
I know I spew out about these guys all the friggin' time, but Bad Religion. Jay Bentley does solos almost as much as Brett/their replacement guitarists, and has some sweet licks. If you haven't, check out Against The Grain and Stranger Than Fiction for some nice lines.

Also, for a slightly more hardcore-ish band, look into Rise Against. They've got some sweet bass lines, too, but no songs come to mind. I haven't listened to them in a while.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Flyleaf are pop punk? Are you sure you've been listening to the same band I have?

lol i thought about the same thing when i typed it
Almost any basslines that AFI had Sing the Sorrow and previous are pretty excellent. Definitely not just root notes.

Sacrifice Theory is the epitome of punk bass, IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb
I saw Flyleaf a few weeks ago...

...she's kinda hot

+

Anyway, a relevant quote for the subject, cunningly extracted from the mouth of Jello Biafra (of Dead Kennedy Fame):
"Punk rock will never die, until something more dangerous replaces it."
the question is, is anything more dangerous?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
+

Anyway, a relevant quote for the subject, cunningly extracted from the mouth of Jello Biafra (of Dead Kennedy Fame):
"Punk rock will never die, until something more dangerous replaces it."
the question is, is anything more dangerous?

heroin, knives, fire, disease, running with scissors...

must I continue?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
heroin, knives, fire, disease, running with scissors...

must I continue?

I think the first four were covered under "Punk lifestyles of the 70s", at least in Dee Dee Ramone's case.
Depends what kind of punk you're talking about. REAL punk (black flag, minor threat, the casualties) is basically dead. 3rd generation punk is alive and well though. There's some great bands out right now, just do a little research. There's a band called Rise Against, their latest stuff is mainly sell-out crap, but listen to their first two albums (The Unraveling, Revolutions Per Minute) and I think you'll like it. That's the best example I can think of when it comes to current punk. I too am a bassist in a punk band, pm me if you've got any other questions
Quote by Another bassist
Depends what kind of punk you're talking about. REAL punk (black flag, minor threat, the casualties) is basically dead. 3rd generation punk is alive and well though. There's some great bands out right now, just do a little research. There's a band called Rise Against, their latest stuff is mainly sell-out crap, but listen to their first two albums (The Unraveling, Revolutions Per Minute) and I think you'll like it. That's the best example I can think of when it comes to current punk. I too am a bassist in a punk band, pm me if you've got any other questions

But... Black Flag, Minor Threat are hardcore punk...

And they're only dead because, well, the bands don't exist anymore.

And if you want to do modern comparisons to bands like BF and MT, Comeback Kid are probably the best example.
Living End are an awesome pop-punk/rockabilly band, sorta like Australia's version of Green Day with some actual skill (much like everything in the aussie - US relationship )

The bassist Scott Owen is one of my favourites, mixes walking bass in with that punk feeling while playing an upright, gotta love it
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Yeah i play bass in a ska/reggae influenced punk band. we get a ton of gigs around where we are because the city is a pretty big punk and hardcore city. you'd be surprised at the amount of people willing to listen.
Punk has some good bassists. Chris#2 from Anti Flag, The Green day guy ain't bad.

Gallows are the closest thing to hardcore punk we have today. They cover black flag's Nervous breakdown live.