I guess most of all professional guitarists say that We need to improve our own style

and I totally agree with them, but How?

Okay All of us have favorite bands and want to be like someone or at least want to learn their techniques , But How Can we get there?

First of all , What is style? For instance, There is a guitarist called steve vai (or whoever you like) If we gave him any music sheet and let him play with any band he's never played with and even The music isnt his music gerne, In spite of this , We would know that he was playing on his own style that music

The meaning of style is not only the techniques they usually use but also the way they play (even if they play using the same techniques)

AnyWay How we get our own sytle?

Should We just play again and again our favorite music that have already been made? Is it all?

Tell me your thoughts
Exactly the opposite. Your own style can not be copied from Steve Vai. Your own style has to be created and developed by you. So stop playing everybody else's music and start playing your own.

Your influences will show through, fortunately or unfortunately that will happen, but it will come through on your terms and make you a compatable artist.

An example of style development would be vibrato. I find that with most people they develop their vibrato in completely different ways, but it is their way because it is a technique and hence it can't be copied unless you already know how to do it.
Quote by colohue
So stop playing everybody else's music and start playing your own.

But where do people start? By playing other people's music.

@ this whole topic, If I think any further on this I go way too far and get crazy after a while, so I'ma end this post here.
A lot of people start by playing other people's music. You still can't make your own style doing that. I learned other songs purely for technique, then put it into my own work. As such the only songs I can reliably play are my own, but I can learn practically anything in an hour.
Quote by one vision
Your own style is usually comprised of everything you're influenced by.

Pretty much but you need to do some creating on your own as well.
^ well also your style is influenced by how you want to sound. just because i CAN do a reggae skank, doesn't mean i want to or will. Personally my vibratos are varied, sometimes they're slow and wide, sometimes they're fast and barely warble at all. they're quite varied. same with my leads, on one song it might sound like teh metalz but on another it might sound like something kinda..... hmmmmm.... indie-esh i guess? well, not so technical and fast but more melodic.

in fact that was my biggest compliment on my first demo was people telling me "these songs all sound good and you can definately tell they're by you. but they don't sound like they'd all be on the same album"

i take that as a hell of a compliment.
Quote by Bobbito315
Pretty much but you need to do some creating on your own as well.

Ive always wondered what someone's music would sound like had they never heard anyone else's music, but had developed their own, and taught themself, and could actually play rather than just messing around
^ it prolly wouldn't sound much like music, maybe kinda a tonal or simplistic. if you have no reference point for what music sounds like or haven't been influenced by it then you have some kinda sadistic playground to make whatever you think sounds right which could be anything.
Quote by z4twenny
^ it prolly wouldn't sound much like music, maybe kinda a tonal or simplistic. if you have no reference point for what music sounds like or haven't been influenced by it then you have some kinda sadistic playground to make whatever you think sounds right which could be anything.

Or if the person had learned theory... but not actually listened to anything.... Just a person with no influences
No matter what sounds you create, that's your style. You could sound exactly like every other metal band, or pop-punk band, and you would still have your own style. It may not be unique, but it's there.

Real unique style comes with taking chances and explorer musical fronts. How about some free-jazz mixed with gangster rap and a subtle 60's pop rock influence? That would be one unique style.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation